Lots o' Mk7 Retrofit stuff

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Heat or no heat?
Normal cruise or adaptive cruise?
Shifter paddles or not?
(Someone else has contacted me about the heated SW, but no done deal there yet)

Send photo of the your wheel; if all you want is cruise control of some flavour, you can just buy the buttons to do the job (of which I have a couple of spare sets).

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
How can you tell what mib2 you have? I have a 2018 r with the digital dash.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
How can you tell what mib2 you have? I have a 2018 r with the digital dash.
Assuming you have navigation, pop the SD card out of your unit. If your maps still work you have Discover Pro. If your navigation maps no longer work, you have Discover Navigation (non Pro). If you have Discover Pro, you'll also have the option to rip CDs to your unit internal storage.

Fried_Soap

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf TSI 5MT
This MIB2 Discover Pro unit would just need the 2.5 firmware for the 9.2" screen to work, right? edit: yes

I can't seem find a clear answer on what the difference between NAR and EU firmware would be here. But I assume it's possible to flash the unit between regions if needed?
I'm guessing this is mostly to do with EU lacking XM, which I don't really care about.

Finally, I also can't tell if I'd need an upgraded amp or if the one I have with my MIB2 Composition Media is already fine...

If the HW is right for using the 9.2" in NAR (and assuming it's still available) I'll probably take it.

Last edited:

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Take a look at what the part number is for your MIB2 amp; it should work.
When I went to MIB2.5, I had to swap out my MIB1 amp (which *did* work with the MIB2 firmware / setup).
5Q0035456A (out of a 2019 Atlas) worked for my 2.5.

Fried_Soap

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf TSI 5MT
Take a look at what the part number is for your MIB2 amp; it should work.
When I went to MIB2.5, I had to swap out my MIB1 amp (which *did* work with the MIB2 firmware / setup).
5Q0035456A (out of a 2019 Atlas) worked for my 2.5.
According to ETKA mine should be a 5Q0035456 (which has been superseded by the 456A) so sounds like it'd be fine. :) edit: lol nope I'm an idiot and don't have an amp in the first place; the MIB2 unit uses its own internal amp...

Was there any specific reason for not using this unit yourself?

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
According to ETKA mine should be a 5Q0035456 (which has been superseded by the 456A) so sounds like it'd be fine. :)

I don't knew whether it will work in your car.

But the supersession only means the 456A can replace the 456, not the the 456 is forward compatible where a 456A may have been originally installed.

But again that doesn't mean it won't work. I would try it first.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
On cars with an external amp, there's no audio signal directly from the MIB unit to the speakers - like it is in your car.
The audio signal instead goes over MOST (fibre-optic) to the amp under the driver seat, then from there out over copper wires to the speakers spread around the car.

(I know - very late reply; I hate how sporadic / unreliable the notifications are from golfmk7.com. 🫤)