GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lots o' Mk7 Retrofit stuff

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
So, I'd need the screen and that 800 dollar thing to upgrade the unit i have in my car?

I have this one:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So, I'd need the screen and that 800 dollar thing to upgrade the unit i have in my car?

I have this one:

You'd be able to just swap the screen, no $800 MIB unit required. You would need a new trim piece. There is no matching trim for that screen with the honeycomb pattern however. So your option would be piano black or various shades of grey.

If that's your thing, you could probably sell your screen for more than you'd pay for the replacement. That 8" matte screen is "rare" since most models only got the 6.5" matte screen.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
You'd be able to just swap the screen, no $800 MIB unit required. You would need a new trim piece. There is no matching trim for that screen with the honeycomb pattern however. So your option would be piano black or various shades of grey.

If that's your thing, you could probably sell your screen for more than you'd pay for the replacement. That 8" matte screen is "rare" since most models only got the 6.5" matte screen.
Thank you. I don't know how i feel about the different trim pieces. Well, I do, I don't like it. Can i make them all piano black?

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
What year is your car? From the looks of it, I'm guessing 2016 or later (?).
In which case you have MIB2, so don't gain a whole lot from the head unit (unless you also decide to get a Virtual Cockpit).

As for piano black trim....it's pretty easy to come by - on lots of cars (compared to the GTI honeycomb vibe). Trim around the display is super-cheap on Aliexpress now (like $25); the other trim pieces in (around the cluster and vent / headlight switch area) in piano black should be readily available from a wrecking yard for reasonable pricing.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Thank you. I don't know how i feel about the different trim pieces. Well, I do, I don't like it. Can i make them all piano black?

Yes. You can do a piano black trim swap easy enough. That's what I did on my GTI. This thread has the part numbers. If you're not in a hurry, you can get most pieces from AliExpress. The only one I'd recommend not getting from there if you go that route is the one around the shifter. The one for ROW cars has different tabs and doesn't work on NAR cars.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Yes. You can do a piano black trim swap easy enough. That's what I did on my GTI. This thread has the part numbers. If you're not in a hurry, you can get most pieces from AliExpress. The only one I'd recommend not getting from there if you go that route is the one around the shifter. The one for ROW cars has different tabs and doesn't work on NAR cars.
So you did it? Ends up costing around 300 CAD for the parts...

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
What year is your car? From the looks of it, I'm guessing 2016 or later (?).
In which case you have MIB2, so don't gain a whole lot from the head unit (unless you also decide to get a Virtual Cockpit).

As for piano black trim....it's pretty easy to come by - on lots of cars (compared to the GTI honeycomb vibe). Trim around the display is super-cheap on Aliexpress now (like $25); the other trim pieces in (around the cluster and vent / headlight switch area) in piano black should be readily available from a wrecking yard for reasonable pricing.
Yessir. 2016

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So you did it? Ends up costing around 300 CAD for the parts...

Yep. My asshole friend bought me a $700 digital dash and I was forced to do it :ROFLMAO:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...mendment-rights-violated.383451/#post-7617769

Couldn't stand the mismatch trim, and I played around with vinyl wrapping it, but didn't like any of the 4 kinds I tried.

Here's the 5 trim pieces you can get off AliExpress, I know when I was pricing it out, it was a decent amount cheaper to go that route. Not sure what the cost of Canadian parts and conversion rates and all that would play in.

8" screen trim, $23 https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832664045062.html
Cubby door trim, $27 https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832732141844.html
Climatronic trim, $30 https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832731247582.html
Drivers vent, $32 https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800464293448.html
Dash trim, $50 https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832816787736.html

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
And for even more money... you can convert your entire gray interior to black.
I don't want to do any of it. Sorry for hijacking the thread OP. You have a great product on your hands, doing the interior retrofit is not in the cards for me.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
I don't want to do any of it. Sorry for hijacking the thread OP. You have a great product on your hands, doing the interior retrofit is not in the cards for me.
Never bothers me - derail away.

(Now that the thought is in your head, though....I was just browsing around for R seats and found Autohaas has pretty much a full black interior available there. :))

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
I was pointing at @Daks; he seems to need convincing. :)
(With my wife's A3 e-tron having the full black interior, if there was an even remotely cost-not-insane way to do it on my GSW, I'd be all over it.
But with no wagens / Variants with black interior having been sold in NAR, a lot of the parts (chief among them the headliner) would have to shipped from Europe. And with a clockspring costing over $100 in shipping to get from there to here, I shudder at the thought of what a headliner would cost to ship (on top of the ~$800 price tag)....and the chances of it arriving intact).

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
How much for the wheel (no airbag). Thinking about attempting a cruise control retrofit.