GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking to achieve more comfort

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Was also curious as to why anyone would get the B8's over the Yellows.

I think MSRP might be higher on the Koni but after shopping around I found them dirt cheap. I had Yellows in my Porsche 944 and they are very good. It’s Koni. Can’t really go wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
What’s the price difference like $75? I just got full Koni yellow for under $600 with the rebate. I think about $560 shipped...

the B8’s cost more and are NON adjustable? Whatever floats your boat dude. I prefer higher performing suspension and the ability to change for conditions. Pretty much a no brainer at this price point

Sorry I missed your edit about the B8s. Definitely not saying you made a mistake buying Konis so you can tone down the attitude haha. B8s will run you about $600 for the set, and are mono tube dampers. They have their benefits over a twin tube adjustable like Koni Sports. If adjustability is a value to you then you made the right choice. Sports perform great, as do B8s.

Last edited:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Part numbers are on Koni’s website

Nah unfortunately they aren't listing an Str.T part number on their site, that's what I was referring to. Still have a lifetime warranty, designed for use with lowering springs, they are just non-adjustable.

Just looked and I paid $310 shipped for the complete set from Tire Rack on my CC. With Eibach pro-kit springs I had a great performing and comfortable setup for less than $600.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Nah unfortunately they aren't listing an Str.T part number on their site, that's what I was referring to. Still have a lifetime warranty, designed for use with lowering springs, they are just non-adjustable.

Just looked and I paid $310 shipped for the complete set from Tire Rack on my CC. With Eibach pro-kit springs I had a great performing and comfortable setup for less than $600.

Well yeah of course an entry level shock will be less expensive than a performance shock

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Sorry I missed your edit about the B8s. Definitely not saying you made a mistake buying Konis so you can tone down the attitude haha. B8s will run you about $600 for the set, and are mono tube dampers. They have their benefits over a twin tube adjustable like Koni Sports. If adjustability is a value to you then you made the right choice. Sports perform great, as do B8s.

Koni makes the yellows and golds only from what I can tell for Golf

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Well yeah of course an entry level shock will be less expensive than a performance shock

But your suggestion in this thread where the OP looking for comfort was to buy a performance shock and leave it at it's lowest setting, which is a waste. Not sure why you want to argue with me about the merits of the Str.Ts, but I think you're incorrect about them being an "entry level shock". From Koni's descriptions, they are budget, but effectively just a non-adjustable Sport:

https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/Products/Cars/Street-Performance/STR-T/

From my research, Str.ts were tuned to be Sports on their lowest setting, just like you recommended. Kind of moot since they don't seem to list a MK7 application, only a MK5/Mk6, but I wanted to at least get accurate information out there.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
FSD's: very mushy with ED springs. Not sporty.

B8's: very comfy. Borderline too soft depending on spring combo

Koni yellows: if only the adjustments could be made from the bottom!

17's: easiest but not the cheapest (new)

Check my build for more input on FSD's and B8's

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
FSD's: very mushy with ED springs. Not sporty.

B8's: very comfy. Borderline too soft depending on spring combo

Koni yellows: if only the adjustments could be made from the bottom!

17's: easiest but not the cheapest (new)

Check my build for more input on FSD's and B8's

How do you think the ED springs would perform with the B8's?

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
... I am just wondering what the best route would be to achieve a little more of a softer ride ...

What exactly do you mean with softer ride? Can you describe what you don't like?

- Are small imperfections in the road to harsh?
- Are positive impacts to firm?
- Is your GTI tugging on negative events (road cracks, step downs)

liljonny16

Ready to race!
Lots of good info in this thread, appreciate all the replies. This is an interesting take, I believe I always fill my tires with what is on the door jam. Do you happen to know what I should keep them at, when it's not on full load? I only ever have one other passenger at any given time.

These are the numbers in the manual for the A3/S3. Shouldn't be too far off for the GTI.

High Performance/Summer Tires:
A3
225/45R17 - Unloaded - F=30 : R=28 Loaded - F=36 : R=36
225/40R18 - Unloaded - F=35 : R=32 Loaded - F=36 : R=36
235/35R19 - Unloaded - F=35 : R=32 Loaded - F=36 : R=36

S3
225/40R18 - Unloaded - F=39 : R=36 Loaded - F=42 : R=42
235/35R18 - Unloaded - F=39 : R=36 Loaded - F=44 : R=44

44F and R is what was on my door jam. The ride was just terrible. I dreamed about my CC a many nights, wishing I never traded it in. But one day I decided to look through the manual because I was bored and made this startling the discovering. It changed my world for the better. But I still ended up getting 17's :D

I had 18's on the CC with Koni Yellows (previously said B8) and H&R OEM+ springs from the 07 Passat. I chose those springs specifically because I didn't want to the lower the ride height of the CC but wanted some stiffer springs to help improve ride comfort. That combination was the absolutely best ride I've ever experienced. Very comfortable, yet controlled, and not floaty. Anyone that rode in the car talked about how great the ride was. I have a friend with a 2013 S8 and we both agreed that the ride quality was better in the CC than the S8. The S8 is 1000 times better in ever other way though. Lol.

Last edited:

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Very interesting thread. Up until a few seconds ago, I was going to get koni FSD to pair w my VWR spring setup on my Golf. Harder to find golf options as they use 50mm tubes over 55mm ones.

Now I’ll start looking into others...

Last edited:

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
These are the numbers in the manual for the A3/S3. Shouldn't be too far off for the GTI.

High Performance/Summer Tires:
A3
225/45R17 - Unloaded - F=30 : R=28 Loaded - F=36 : R=36
225/40R18 - Unloaded - F=35 : R=32 Loaded - F=36 : R=36
235/35R19 - Unloaded - F=35 : R=32 Loaded - F=36 : R=36

S3
225/40R18 - Unloaded - F=39 : R=36 Loaded - F=42 : R=42
235/35R18 - Unloaded - F=39 : R=36 Loaded - F=44 : R=44

44F and R is what was on my door jam. The ride was just terrible. I dreamed about my CC a many nights, wishing I never traded it in. But one day I decided to look through the manual because I was bored and made this startling the discovering. It changed my world for the better. But I still ended up getting 17's :D

I have a friend with a 2013 S8 and we both agreed that the ride quality was better in the CC than the S8. The S8 is 1000 times better in ever other way though. Lol.

I used to lease a 13 A8 with 19's super comfortable before that it was an 09 A8 with 19's but with lower profile tires the S8 comes with 20's or 21's I think with wide ass tires but the suspension on those cars are air with double wishbones, your CC had to be super comfy to compare it with an S8 that suspension is no joke :) although I now drive a 17 A4 that feels like my 09 did back in the day

liljonny16

Ready to race!
I used to lease a 13 A8 with 19's super comfortable before that it was an 09 A8 with 19's but with lower profile tires the S8 comes with 20's or 21's I think with wide ass tires but the suspension on those cars are air with double wishbones, your CC had to be super comfy to compare it with an S8 that suspension is no joke :) although I now drive a 17 A4 that feels like my 09 did back in the day

The S8 comes with 21's. I feel for the owners come tire replacement time. Lol. But yes, you are right, the S8 is amazingly comfortable. The CC was just a tad better after those Koni Yellows and springs though. I do mean, just a tad :D Having the CC compared to the S8 at all is praise enough.

You've had some lovely rides. I'm jealous

Last edited:

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Very interesting thread. Up until a few seconds ago, I was going to get koni FSD to pair w my VWR spring setup on my Golf. Harder to find golf options as they use 50mm tubes over 55mm ones.

Now I’ll start looking into others...

Get the Yellows from ImportRP.