GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking to achieve more comfort

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
I've recently installed Emmanuele Design Springs on my 2016 GTI. I currently have the stock tires, and I am just wondering what the best route would be to achieve a little more of a softer ride. Aftermarket shocks? If so, which kind? Koni FSD, Yellows, Bilstein? Should I go with maybe a 235 tire on the stock wheels? I have also considered going down to a 17" wheel with a meatier tire.

Just looking for the most effective route without breaking the bank. I realize keeping the stock suspension probably would've been the best option.

liljonny16

Ready to race!
I have an S3 with mag ride and I just dropped to a 17 with 225/40 from 19 with 235/35 and it made a huge difference. I definitely recommend that. While changing struts isn't hard, changing wheels is a lot easier.

What tire pressure are you running? In the manual they have two different ones listed. One for when it's just the driver and one for when it's a full load. On the door jam is the one for when you have a full load. When I dropped the tire pressure that made a pretty nice improvement alone.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
easy...

VW fit 225/45R17 tyres on 17" rims which I have...very nice

I would suggest FSD, as I have used in past, but I will be getting in future Bilstien B6? the full length yellows....not the shortened ones

Reason?, upside down damper, so stronger & more resistant to side forces for the Macpherson strut design at the front....

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
There's no free lunch with modding suspension, you'll find that out.

Lowering a car means higher spring rate to avoid bottoming out, which means harsher ride. Better dampers can absolutely help that, since even totally stock the factory shocks aren't Bilstein or Koni level. You can get a shock that is too sporty, or IMO in the case of the FSDs too soft and not consistent enough if you're still wanting great handling.

Lighter wheels and less sporty tires with taller, softer side walls can take out some of the harshness, but again that can reduce steering feel, handling, etc.

Ultimately you need to make decisions for your goals in handling, ride comfort, appearance and make compromises where needed.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
As far as I know FSD's will loose their purpose if the car is lowered I don't think that Koni recommends this even on a mild drop, correct me if I'm wrong please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
As far as I know FSD's will loose their purpose if the car is lowered I don't think that Koni recommends this even on a mild drop, correct me if I'm wrong please

It's actually a very common setup to run FSDs with Eibach Pro-kit springs, or other brands mild lowering springs. The FSD technology isn't based on damper travel range, but rather the speed the piston is moving, hence "Frequency Selective Damping". Most reviews I've heard from GTI/Golf owners is that they feel very vague and floaty which might not bother some people, but definitely doesn't benefit the character of a hot hatch IMO.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
It's actually a very common setup to run FSDs with Eibach Pro-kit springs, or other brands mild lowering springs. The FSD technology isn't based on damper travel range, but rather the speed the piston is moving, hence "Frequency Selective Damping". Most reviews I've heard from GTI/Golf owners is that they feel very vague and floaty which might not bother some people, but definitely doesn't benefit the character of a hot hatch IMO.

Great, thanks I used the FSD's on a Mini Cooper S before, they transformed the car :)

There's no free lunch with modding suspension, you'll find that out.

Lowering a car means higher spring rate to avoid bottoming out, which means harsher ride. Better dampers can absolutely help that, since even totally stock the factory shocks aren't Bilstein or Koni level. You can get a shock that is too sporty, or IMO in the case of the FSDs too soft and not consistent enough if you're still wanting great handling.

Lighter wheels and less sporty tires with taller, softer side walls can take out some of the harshness, but again that can reduce steering feel, handling, etc.

Ultimately you need to make decisions for your goals in handling, ride comfort, appearance and make compromises where needed.
^^ this !! :)

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
You could get Koni yellows and run them really soft

Or you could save that money and just buy the non-adjustable Str.Ts which are effectively Koni sports on their lowest setting.

Never been a huge fan of adjustable shocks personally, most people will adjust them wrong or leave them at base settings and never adjust them again.

B8s all the way IMO.

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
I have an S3 with mag ride and I just dropped to a 17 with 225/40 from 19 with 235/35 and it made a huge difference. I definitely recommend that. While changing struts isn't hard, changing wheels is a lot easier.

What tire pressure are you running? In the manual they have two different ones listed. One for when it's just the driver and one for when it's a full load. On the door jam is the one for when you have a full load. When I dropped the tire pressure that made a pretty nice improvement alone.

Lots of good info in this thread, appreciate all the replies. This is an interesting take, I believe I always fill my tires with what is on the door jam. Do you happen to know what I should keep them at, when it's not on full load? I only ever have one other passenger at any given time.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Or you could save that money and just buy the non-adjustable Str.Ts which are effectively Koni sports on their lowest setting.

Never been a huge fan of adjustable shocks personally, most people will adjust them wrong or leave them at base settings and never adjust them again.

B8s all the way IMO.

What’s the price difference like $75? I just got full Koni yellow for under $600 with the rebate. I think about $560 shipped...

the B8’s cost more and are NON adjustable? Whatever floats your boat dude. I prefer higher performing suspension and the ability to change for conditions. Pretty much a no brainer at this price point

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
What’s the price difference like $75? I just got full Koni yellow for under $600 with the rebate

Well I can't seem to find a listing for MK7 applications, but I paid less than $350 shipped for my Str.Ts for my CC a few years back. There is definitely a cost difference.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Well I can't seem to find a listing for MK7 applications, but I paid less than $350 shipped for my Str.Ts for my CC a few years back. There is definitely a cost difference.

Part numbers are on Koni’s website

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
What’s the price difference like $75? I just got full Koni yellow for under $600 with the rebate. I think about $560 shipped...

the B8’s cost more and are NON adjustable? Whatever floats your boat dude. I prefer higher performing suspension and the ability to change for conditions. Pretty much a no brainer at this price point

Was also curious as to why anyone would get the B8's over the Yellows.