GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 GTI Quartermile record recaptured

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
This is the error most people make trying to boost too high. At a certain point the turbo efficiency drops dramatically and the extra boost just causes issues. This works for this car with decent timing and the tune is set for highway runs specifically as this is where the car excels.

Im just teasing. Getting into the 10s takes lots of teasing from arm chair tuners, just doing my part.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Is this more to do with the adaptation of the APR S2+ tune then, which added a ton of timing because of the meth? I mean, that run is 6-7mph over the next closest.

No, this is our tuning methodology. At the top we prefer to keep it 20-21 and in some cases less. Anymore and the gains are minor just taxing the turbo. A good example is your exits with JB1 only adding 5.0 at redline peaking 16psi if that and getting the power.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
No, this is our tuning methodology. At the top we prefer to keep it 20-21 and in some cases less. Anymore and the gains are minor just taxing the turbo. A good example is your exits with JB1 only adding 5.0 at redline peaking 16psi if that and getting the power.

Many approved 1.8 TSI logs with IS20 are hitting 19PSI past 6000rpm. Should we back off? Even if timing looks good?

or do you mean 7000 rpm in the case of the is38? Everyone means something different for redine.

Last edited:

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah I mean, I gained 1 mph going from JB1 to JB4 and IC. The boost numbers are similar in both logs even though I am commanding more with the JB4.

More testing is needed on my part to see where the gains can be made.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Many approved 1.8 TSI logs with IS20 are hitting 19PSI past 6000rpm. Should we back off? Even if timing looks good?

or do you mean 7000 rpm in the case of the is38? Everyone means something different for redine.

IS38 and IS20 with valve lift. The boost comparisions are a bit different as boost is a measurement of restriction so i.e. 20psi on a 1.8T in terms of flow is not the same as on a 2.0T. I would still also keep it there about or up to 22psi. No point going more.

MKVIISpec

Ready to race!
That thing was MOVING!! Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Congrats Ryan and George. You guys just blew the competition away. I'll be contacting BMS soon for JB4 and meth magic. I just need to figure out what is going on with my apr is38 tune first because I only improved 1 mph and .1 et from when I was is20. Granted weather could be a factor but when it got cooler my mph actually went down.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Seems like the cm7 nozzle is the way to go?

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Incredible, great work. Almost makes me wish I went with DSG, but I'm not trying to break any records so 6mt is perfect for me :)

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Seems like the cm7 nozzle is the way to go?

Depends on what your goals are, your local environment (temperature) and how much you are pushing your setup.

Some rough examples:
CM3
You have a stage 1 type setup, want some extra cooling and a margin of safety to confidently run 93 octane settings. Or you have an awesome intercooler like the Wagner, but want more, CM3 is good. The advantage here is that setup is less crucial at this flow rate. You can just start spraying at around 7 psi and not worry.

CM5
You have a stage 1 or 2 setup and want to push it and want impressive cooling without buying an intercooler, maybe be able to push to race gas levels. Now your on the edge of where you could benefit from or need progressive control using JB4. You can choke out the engine if you spray too early, but if you spray too late, it takes longer to get cooling benefit. Starting spray at 10 without any control works. But I've noticed sometimes in traffic, if you get into light boost, get off, then back on again, you'll get a light sputter from too much spray. You will see trims go down as you are adding a decent amount of fuel. Maybe you could up e85 percentage now?

CM7
You have an over 300whp car, you're pushing your setup hard, want max cooling and extra fuel margin. With progressive control you can start the cooling party down low RPM/boost and then have balls out cooling/extra fuel headroom and octane at top end without choking the engine or wasting methanol where you don't need it. Race gas setup, potential for below ambient cooling, impress your friends with how "cool" you are.