GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is there a DIY fix for the rattling sunroof?

hawker800mech

Ready to race!
Hello hawker800mech,

Would you please explain how you could get inside to paste the velcro on that piece ? It's very narrow and I can't get anywhere !

Also, is this the rattle you had ?

https://soundcloud.com/user-844145373/mk7-squeak

Thank you

It’s hard to tell from the clip, but mine wasn’t as frequent a sound. I could tell it was coming from the sunroof just behind my head. I would put my ear close to it as I drove. It’s been close to a year since I fixed it, so it’s also hard to remember the exact sound.

I installed it by using a long tool from the back with the roof popped up. I had it stuck to the tip and put it in place, then secured it. I’m an aircraft mechanic and have done much worse. Try using an object like chop sticks, screwdriver, clothes hanger, etc. Whatever works.

Mrleica

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you very much for the quick reply.

I really hope that this is the issue with mine, have had the car 5 months ago and never enjoyed a ride in it. If this doesn't work, I will have to trade it.

I will try some clothes hangers some UHU and some velcro and hope it will settle the noise forever.

Thank you again

hawker800mech

Ready to race!
Thank you very much for the quick reply.

I really hope that this is the issue with mine, have had the car 5 months ago and never enjoyed a ride in it. If this doesn't work, I will have to trade it.

I will try some clothes hangers some UHU and some velcro and hope it will settle the noise forever.

Thank you again

Hope it works, too. These are great little cars, but I understand the frustration. That was my third or forth different attempt to get rid of the noise. I’m glad I did - it was driving me nuts.

Mrleica

Passed Driver's Ed
Hope so too. It's not the only rattle but the one making a lot of mess.

I'll try this tomorrow. Hope it will works !

Thanks again

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!

That will fix her up real good. BTW 10 trips to the dealer and my sunroof is finally fixed. Multiple attempts with the TSB which I think involves installing pieces of felt.

Mrleica

Passed Driver's Ed
Hope it works, too. These are great little cars, but I understand the frustration. That was my third or forth different attempt to get rid of the noise. I’m glad I did - it was driving me nuts.

It freaking worked !!! I don't know how to thank you man !

I just stuffed some felt on those areas you mentioned without using glue and I shut the sunroof on them... I figured if it doesn't work, I won't have to deal with taking them off...

Now I am trying to find a permanent solution aside from the Velcro I have to glue on that piece of plastic.

Whilst I've been trying to resolve this issue, I stumbled across this topic from some Audi fellas that solved the rattle by adjust the height of the sunroof glass : https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a3-s3-rs-3-mkii-209/sunroof-rattle-2917598/

The pictures on near the end of the topic are quite self explanatory. The sunroof glass is held by two torx bits in the rear, the solution mentioned is to loosen up one of them and then adjust the height... now that I understand which part rattled, moving the sunroof glass slightly up will make it sits far off the plastic piece... so no rattling !

I didn't try it yet, but just looking at how the sunroof sits in my case :

Driver side (left driving) :

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5GT8S3MmCvImifUk1

Passenger side :

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UrtBTy6dnYmfJfJQ2

I think that the sunroof on the passenger side sits slightly lower that what it should, judging by the trim piece that looks that it's slightly off alignment while in fact it sit just fine with the rest of the assembly of the car.

I don't know how these things work but I think that this the main reason why it rattles in the first place.

Is it the case for your car ? And based on your experience and working background, what do you think I should do... take the chance of readjusting the height of the sunroof glass (with a chance of making a mess doing it) or just glue some Velcro underneath and call it a day ?

On a second matter, I think the cable that goes underneath the sunroof also moves, its rattling is very soft but still there... Did you have that one too ? Or do you have any idea how I can access it to Velcro the hell out of it too ?

Again I sincerely thank you for your contribution ! It helped a lot.

Last edited:

Cyrk

Passed Driver's Ed
Need to try this it’s drving me nuts and the dealer fix did nothing.

hawker800mech

Ready to race!
It freaking worked !!! I don't know how to thank you man !

I just stuffed some felt on those areas you mentioned without using glue and I shut the sunroof on them... I figured if it doesn't work, I won't have to deal with taking them off...

Now I am trying to find a permanent solution aside from the Velcro I have to glue on that piece of plastic.

Whilst I've been trying to resolve this issue, I stumbled across this topic from some Audi fellas that solved the rattle by adjust the height of the sunroof glass : https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a3-s3-rs-3-mkii-209/sunroof-rattle-2917598/

The pictures on near the end of the topic are quite self explanatory. The sunroof glass is held by two torx bits in the rear, the solution mentioned is to loosen up one of them and then adjust the height... now that I understand which part rattled, moving the sunroof glass slightly up will make it sits far off the plastic piece... so no rattling !

I didn't try it yet, but just looking at how the sunroof sits in my case :

Driver side (left driving) :

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5GT8S3MmCvImifUk1

Passenger side :

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UrtBTy6dnYmfJfJQ2

I think that the sunroof on the passenger side sits slightly lower that what it should, judging by the trim piece that looks that it's slightly off alignment while in fact it sit just fine with the rest of the assembly of the car.

I don't know how these things work but I think that this the main reason why it rattles in the first place.

Is it the case for your car ? And based on your experience and working background, what do you think I should do... take the chance of readjusting the height of the sunroof glass (with a chance of making a mess doing it) or just glue some Velcro underneath and call it a day ?

On a second matter, I think the cable that goes underneath the sunroof also moves, its rattling is very soft but still there... Did you have that one too ? Or do you have any idea how I can access it to Velcro the hell out of it too ?

Again I sincerely thank you for your contribution ! It helped a lot.

My motto is, “If it ain’t broke, don’t f@#$ with it.” If it operates and doesn’t leak, leave it alone. You can open up a can of worms if you are unsure of what to do. Like I did, get a sticky backed piece of Velcro, install it, and see where you are with the noise. On the other hand, if you are very mechanically inclined, go for it. I would highly suggest having the factory manual to complete the task.

I’m very glad the felt fixed the rattle. I cannot take all the credit as I got the idea from another forum. Just passing it on so people can enjoy there car.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
Dealer will try to lube it or add some felt tape for the first visit or two, and after that they will usually replace the sunroof frame that "usually" fix the issue, which involves pretty much taking down most of the interior trims that might introduce "new" rattles somewhere else.
So, permanent fix would be trading yours to a non sunroof car.

Mrleica

Passed Driver's Ed
Dealer will try to lube it or add some felt tape for the first visit or two, and after that they will usually replace the sunroof frame that "usually" fix the issue, which involves pretty much taking down most of the interior trims that might introduce "new" rattles somewhere else.
So, permanent fix would be trading yours to a non sunroof car.

Do you mean rattles will develop elsewhere even if I fixed it by adding felt now ? And are we talking about the same sunroof rattle that disappears when the fix mentionned earlier is applied ?

Because there are other rattles that goes away when you lubricate the rear seal or all the seals which isn't the case here.

I don't intend to take it to the dealer anyways.

Last edited:

hawker800mech

Ready to race!
Do you mean rattles will develop elsewhere even if I fixed it by adding felt now ? And are we talking about the same sunroof rattle that disappears when the fix mentionned earlier is applied ?

Because there are other rattles that goes away when you lubricate the rear seal or all the seals which isn't the case here.

I don't intend to take it to the dealer anyways.

He’s implying that since more parts will be removed to fix the one issue that another rattle may developed after it is all put back together at the dealer. That’s why I suggested to add the Velcro “felt” and not to take anything apart. Opening that can of worms may occur.

Techno Duck

2017 GTI SE, just under 15k miles on it. My sunroof has been getting progressively more noisey, creaks from the rear of the glass. Dealer lubricated the seals and checked my frame for cracks per the recall but found none. As soon as i pulled out of the lot i heard it creak again... lol. They did lubricate my door seals also which are now silent.

Talked to service advisor and sent them a video of it...they said they are willing to look at it again. Unsure if this will be more lubrication, felt tape or frame replacement. Loaner car offered so just trying to decide if i want to let them keep messing around with it.

I lubricated the rear seal with more silicone and its a little bit better, but still not great. Whats strange is last night the roof was completely silent, didnt hear the creaking once. This morning it was back to making noise again. Love the car, but the creaking drives me nuts!