GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is there a DIY fix for the rattling sunroof?

Brohio

I also tried the gummi method first, which helped a little with squeaking but did nothing for the rattle itself.

I finally picked up some felt strips last night and put them in the spots techno duck recommended. WOW! INSTANT FIX!!

So much happier with my car now. It was driving me insane. Thanks to everyone for the advice, its been a sanity saver.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Glad the felt is working for you guys. Just a caution to not block the rear drain holes. They are underneath the piano black trim at each far rear corner.

alnation1

Passed Driver's Ed
I also tried the gummi method first, which helped a little with squeaking but did nothing for the rattle itself.

I finally picked up some felt strips last night and put them in the spots techno duck recommended. WOW! INSTANT FIX!!

So much happier with my car now. It was driving me insane. Thanks to everyone for the advice, its been a sanity saver.

How the hell do you get felt in there? I can hardly see in there no less get my hands in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brohio

How the hell do you get felt in there? I can hardly see in there no less get my hands in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was kinda confusing when I first started looking at it, but what I did was slide the sunroof open like halfway first. Then, standing next to the driver's door looking toward the passenger side, I shined my flashlight between the sunroof and the car roof (shine between from inside the car) while looking down into the glass where the channels are. That really helped me understand what was down there, and how it relates to Techno's images he posted earlier.

Once I knew what I should be feeling around for, I got in the driver's seat and slid my hand (with a piece of felt) between the sunshade and the roof glass. You don't have a ton of room, but the ridge you want the felt on is only 2 inches or so behind where the sunshade stops. I was easily able to get my hand in the gap.

I did a quick sketch if that helps?

Attachments

• SKM_C45818101814460small.jpg
    SKM_C45818101814460small.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 1,663
Last edited:

knollMk7

Ready to race!
exactly....here's a pic of my job using velcro-type tape, the "soft side" It's synthetic fiber so should hold up better than natural fiber felt which is usually cotton or wool.

Attachments

• DSC_5409.JPG
    DSC_5409.JPG
    393.5 KB · Views: 1,461

knollMk7

Ready to race!
you can just buy it off flea bay search "velcro" or "hook and loop self adhesve"

BTW it doesn't have to be 2" strips....just need to space 1" x 1" or 1" x 2" strips of the "loop" side of the tape which is half of the hook & loop combo that comes as a set.

if you do 2" you can probably just use 3 strips; i used 1 1/2" strips and put 1 on each end of the plastic strip and spaced-out 2 in the remaining space.

Kip2MyLou

Ready to race!
Yeah I just wanted to get the right kind. Didn't want to purchase some and it not work you know. Only reason why I was asking for products that people are using that actually work.

knollMk7

Ready to race!
should, but check to see if its synthetic or natural fiber as suggested above. In any event, these tapes are removable so little risk as long as the thickness isn't too great.

you don't want to apply anything that would prevent the roof from seating 100% against the weatherstripping.

FQDN

And that's why I asked for people to post the products they bought. Ha.

You can also go to any craft store like Michael's or JoAnne's (On West Coast anyway, not sure how prevalent they are) for felt sheets. I think Walmart may carry them too.

I got mine from Michael's, was 89 cents.

Kip2MyLou

Ready to race!
Yeah I was going to check there this weekend. I just didn't want to buy the wrong type or depth or anything like that and end up making the problem worse, and having to go back and buy more. Ha.

alnation1

Passed Driver's Ed
It was kinda confusing when I first started looking at it, but what I did was slide the sunroof open like halfway first. Then, standing next to the driver's door looking toward the passenger side, I shined my flashlight between the sunroof and the car roof (shine between from inside the car) while looking down into the glass where the channels are. That really helped me understand what was down there, and how it relates to Techno's images he posted earlier.

Once I knew what I should be feeling around for, I got in the driver's seat and slid my hand (with a piece of felt) between the sunshade and the roof glass. You don't have a ton of room, but the ridge you want the felt on is only 2 inches or so behind where the sunshade stops. I was easily able to get my hand in the gap.

I did a quick sketch if that helps?

Thanks!

Kip2MyLou

Ready to race!
Probably a crazy suggestion but has anybody tried taking out the sunscreen? Could that cut down on any noises? To be honest I don't think it really does anything and the plastic part that sits on top if seems to be making some noises. If the screen wasn't under there think it would help anyway?