GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
How necessary is an intercooler upgrade for someone living in Texas? I'm gonna be going Stage 2 soon. My car is a daily driver and I don't plan on tracking, but I do like to push it occasionally.

It's needed. During acceleration, IAT's with stock IC's are generally in the 40C-55C range on most tunes depending on ambient temp. Aftermarket IC's are generally in the 15C-25C range on most tunes depending on ambient temp.

adefendo1

Ready to race!
It's needed. During acceleration, IAT's with stock IC's are generally in the 40C-55C range on most tunes depending on ambient temp. Aftermarket IC's are generally in the 15C-25C range on most tunes depending on ambient temp.

I second this, I'm in San Antonio and it's fixing to get really hot really soon. Even stock you can definitely feel the car start to pull timing in warmer weather. If your planning on going anything past stock an upgraded IC is a must for our hotter weather. It's the next item on my list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
How necessary is an intercooler upgrade for someone living in Texas?

I'd say recommended stage 1, required stage 2. The data we have been collected shows you are losing power at stage 1 by running the stock unit. It can't handle the increase in temps caused by the increase in pressure.

TLDR: You might get a larger power increase adding an intercooler to a stage 1 car, then adding a DP and going to stage 2.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
I'd say recommended stage 1, required stage 2. The data we have been collected shows you are losing power at stage 1 by running the stock unit. It can't handle the increase in temps caused by the increase in pressure.

TLDR: You might get a larger power increase adding an intercooler to a stage 1 car, then adding a DP and going to stage 2.
The only problem is some of us aren't mechanics. There is no way I could tackle an intercooler install. So not only does the IC cost more, but I'm probably going to have to give up my first born to get the damn thing installed. Whereas I'm going to do my darndest to install the MAP downpipe by myself when I receive it in a few weeks. And it won't cost any extra for the stage 2 tune. So there's a pretty big price difference between DP/Stage 2 vs Intercooler. At least for me.

Taking that into consideration, and that I'm not racing or typically doing back to back pulls...do you still recommend IC over DP? I'll likely go with an etune to make power safely, especially since I'll most likely be putting off the IC for now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

drrck

Go Kart Champion
The only problem is some of us aren't mechanics. There is no way I could tackle an intercooler install. So not only does the IC cost more, but I'm probably going to have to give up my first born to get the damn thing installed. Whereas I'm going to do my darndest to install the MAP downpipe by myself when I receive it in a few weeks. And it won't cost any extra for the stage 2 tune. So there's a pretty big price difference between DP/Stage 2 vs Intercooler. At least for me.

Taking that into consideration, and that I'm not racing or typically doing back to back pulls...do you still recommend IC over DP? I'll likely go with an etune to make power safely, especially since I'll most likely be putting off the IC for now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If you are just DD the car around town the DP will give you more of a hit, but your power loss will be much more noticeable w/o an IC after you do stage 2.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Taking that into consideration, and that I'm not racing or typically doing back to back pulls...do you still recommend IC over DP?

The hotter the ambient you live in (and more consistent the higher temperatures), the more the IC will make a difference in your daily driving and consistency of power.

Always remember its not only about temps. Most of the intercoolers (I think all of them) have less pressure drop then stock, which means your turbo has to work less hard to produce the same psi at the engine. A pretty big deal when you start increasing the psi from tuning. An upgraded IC car can run less psi for the same power (and less heat) then someone running a stock IC.

The cars smart. You can throw mods on it, and it will just kill the power to keep itself safe if the heat gets past 102/103F (from JB4 thread I believe).

Perry01

Ready to race!

The more performance mods you add the harder you drive your car. It's just the way it is. Anything beyond stock should really have an upgraded IC, especially in a warmer climate.

billyarison

Ready to race!
So question, well more like opinions. I'm on a ED is38 adj tune. Wanna order my new intercooler. But I am torn on doing the twin cooler or cts front mount.
Any feed back from anyone running these?

BananaSlug

Ready to race!
I'm trying to decide between Unitronic and the S3 intercooler. I'm assuming since I'll only push it occasionally that getting an APR, IE, or Wagner intercooler would be overkill. Or would Unitronic be overkill too?

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
The S3 intercooler is barely an upgrade over stock. I'd go unitronic if you wanted to save money and upgrade.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
I hear bms will be coming out with a ic that'll be yuge at a decent price point.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Any data/info on the CTS "direct-fit"? It seems to have the largest core size, and want to know if it's worth cutting some pieces for the IC to fit.

BananaSlug

Ready to race!
Thanks for the input, I guess I'll be dropping a rack on an intercooler.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI