GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

In process: Alibaba GTI build

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Don’t tell that to LS swap dude. It’ll fit!

And I mean yeah, the real answer to the “more power” problem is more cylinders, displacement. But if you’re stuck on euros, then the DAZA is a pretty good choice.
modern BMW motors can handle a ton more, stock. and you can get a refurb b58 for under 10 grand. main advantage to the DAZA is those sweet heads and factory MPI.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
modern BMW motors can handle a ton more, stock. and you can get a refurb b58 for under 10 grand. main advantage to the DAZA is those sweet heads and factory MPI.
100% could be wrong, but I feel like the DAZA has pushed further, especially on high end builds. Maybe it’s just what I interact with and see, but the amount of >1k hp DAZAs is more than the number of >1k BMWs (the new M3/M4s are insane though)

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
100% could be wrong, but I feel like the DAZA has pushed further, especially on high end builds. Maybe it’s just what I interact with and see, but the amount of >1k hp DAZAs is more than the number of >1k BMWs (the new M3/M4s are insane though)
Hope you have $40k to slap down for IROZ if you're talking about building a 1000hp DAZA engine

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Hope you have $40k to slap down for IROZ if you're talking about building a 1000hp DAZA engine
Oh I’m not saying it’s cheap by any means lol. I’m 100% referring to IROZ kits.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
S55 didn't get pushed as hard, it was a struggle to get them into the 9s with how poorly they launched.

DAZA was quickly successful at drag since they launch harder (0-60 in 1.5s!), but I believe B58 has set higher power numbers by a bit. 6 port heads flow very well and they can be stroked out to at least 3.2L. At the tip of the spear, Iroz has a 1350WHP RS3 and I think Mike Botti's supra did 1400whp? Both are high 7-second cars.

The new BMWs will be very fast now that they come with AWD and even higher-flowing heads than the B58.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
where are the Honda guys at in this conversation lol
"says Honda boy I heard there paying strong n Clark county for HJ's maybe you can pay to renovate your 50's trailer home in Vegas

Im in Reno atm I can start a go fund my Honda GTI for you lmk poor boy we can fill your a-pillar up with gauges and you can monitor your cheap airide

I love drinking your hater tears"

this scared them away

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
where are the Honda guys at in this conversation lol
They don't know what to say lol.

All jokes aside, for $2500 I am tempted to get one just so I can tear it down and do a full motor build like I did with my Supra. Kind of wondering how well a built brand new motor would sell for the MQB platform. I'll have to do a cost breakdown and see what I could do one for, vs what the competition is selling them for.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I still want a metallurgy test of this chinesium block….

Mksleven

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 gti

All jokes aside, for $2500 I am tempted to get one just so I can tear it down and do a full motor build like I did with my Supra. Kind of wondering how well a built brand new motor would sell for the MQB platform. I'll have to do a cost breakdown and see what I could do one for, vs what the competition is selling them for.
If you're planning to tear it down, then I'd suggest going through that contact I mentioned earlier. The engine would be cheaper, all the same with new parts etc, however I guess the assembly of it is questionable as it is not from Zhongqi Power (not that they have a proven track record or anything). Just something to keep in mind. If you could sell a newly forged/built EA888 Gen 3 I'm sure plenty of people would jump to get one. Shit, I even considered this lol. I don't have the capital though to start a new side gig, or engine building experience.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I kid I kid, but really hoping is a legit find!

Stanislao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2018
Hey guys i post something i read on vortex from a forum member from china.
maybe this explains why it is and it would be easy to source a engine from china.

"There are many reasons. I think the main problem is that Volkswagen GTI is no longer as competitive in the Chinese market as before, but at the same time, they want to cut costs. Due to China's strict environmental protection policy and emission laws (stricter than Europe), VW decided to forego the Evo4 update on locally made models (GTI, Passat, Arteon, Tiguan, and so on) and developed the ea888dkx (gen3 engine uses some evo4 parts). That means the Chinese spec GTI only has 223hp. That makes it a lot less competitive. The China GTI sells for 31k USD ( basically Autobahn trim level). However, the local manufacturer has some more enticing 2-litre turbo compacts for less than 30k USD. Such as Lynk & Co 03+ (257hp/280tq, AWD) and Trumpchi Empow R (265HP/300tq, air-to-water intercooler, 0-100kph in 5.7s). So I think that's why Volkswagen has improved some technology and comfort configurations. BUT VW also subtracted VAQ to save cost (DCC is still standard)! This is an arrogant decision.

Volkswagen has dominated the Chinese market for nearly 30 years, and for a long time they have been the only foreign manufacturer produces sports compact cars locally (Honda tried to produce type R in CKD, but failed), with loyal customers and a variety of related modified brands. Of course, GTI owners could have easily retrieved the lost ponies and installed a more powerful mechanical differential LSD. However, CLA 35 AMG and Elantra N are adjusted to 30-40k usd in China, with their LSD and all goodies. VW better do something to respond (probably not, the electric age is here, haha).
"

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/leather-seats-with-the-gti-pattern.9541091/

scrllock

Autocross Champion

thing is once you replace all of the questionable stuff like rods/pistons, timing components, oil pump, etc. you're not saving a whole lot if anything vs. sending a junkyard block to the machine shop. some of these listings have people complaining about things like imitation camshafts not lining up properly, which seems like what I'd expect from an alibaba motor.

something like this, where you get a bare block for $700 is a lot more interesting to me: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2-0-TSI-TFSI-EA888-Gen_1600869290683.html

that's the part that you can't otherwise replace somewhat inexpensively once it's damaged, and saves you boring out your existing block if you just transfer everything over.