GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

If you thought the Mk7 was too bland ...

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
VW never went in for the flamboyant design trend themselves - the CC and Mk6 GTI were about as flamboyant as VW ever got.

See, I really like the look of the MK6. They had some nice OEM wheel options and the R32 really looked special even from far away without being too crazy. I like the styling direction of the MK7 GTI (minus the wheels) but the R looks too bland imo. No reason it should look closer to a base golf from far away than a GTI.

I feel like VW is trending too far into conservative territory. They can still remain classy while adding a little flair to the most iconic hot hatch of all time. Look at the clubsport, that is perfect. A few styling tweaks in the bumpers, low profile vinyl stripe on the side, black roof, cool wheels, nice spoiler that integrates into the design well...done. Its not that hard and it isn't goofy for a serious adult to drive, unlike the Type R which is just ridiculous. Even the Focus RS is a bit much for many people.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
See, I really like the look of the MK6. They had some nice OEM wheel options and the R32 really looked special even from far away without being too crazy. I like the styling direction of the MK7 GTI (minus the wheels) but the R looks too bland imo. No reason it should look closer to a base golf from far away than a GTI.

I feel like VW is trending too far into conservative territory. They can still remain classy while adding a little flair to the most iconic hot hatch of all time. Look at the clubsport, that is perfect. A few styling tweaks in the bumpers, low profile vinyl stripe on the side, black roof, cool wheels, nice spoiler that integrates into the design well...done. Its not that hard and it isn't goofy for a serious adult to drive, unlike the Type R which is just ridiculous. Even the Focus RS is a bit much for many people.

I agree 100% with your first paragraph.
Regarding the R, yes to the casual observer it looks more like a base Golf - a trim level down from the GTI.
Not so much your second paragraph, as I don't like the styling tweaks on the Clubsport.
It's not that I have a problem with VW adding some visual details, it's just that I don't like those particular details - mainly the mutton chops.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Not a huge fan of the Honda, but get one in black and it looks like a stealth fighter. Or the Batmobile depending on your tastes....

Neither the Stealth Fighter, nor the Batmobile are attractive.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
am i the only one who likes the new type-r? might be that im still too young :eek:

It looks like what the STI should look like: crazy and overdone. Now that the STI looks like a Camry i guess Honda decided to step up and make something for the teenagers?

Its all personal preference though, some people want something loud and in-your-face others want quiet/stealthy.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
It looks like what the STI should look like: crazy and overdone. Now that the STI looks like a Camry i guess Honda decided to step up and make something for the teenagers?

Its all personal preference though, some people want something loud and in-your-face others want quiet/stealthy.

There's loud and in your face, and then there is hideously overdone.
The Honda looks like an 8 year old boy was given acid and allowed to design his own Hot Wheels car.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
I agree 100% with your first paragraph.
Regarding the R, yes to the casual observer it looks more like a base Golf - a trim level down from the GTI.
Not so much your second paragraph, as I don't like the styling tweaks on the Clubsport.
It's not that I have a problem with VW adding some visual details, it's just that I don't like those particular details - mainly the mutton chops.

I can see how even the clubsport may be too much for some. Honestly, its about as out there as I would feel comfortable driving in terms of OEM cosmetic bling. I'm in my 20s and still feel embarrassed if I was cruising around in an STI with the damn ricer wing or even a focus RS, its just too much for my taste. Only car I don't mind with the bonkers wing/body styling is the GT3....drool worthy in every way.

Maybe in 10-15 years even the clubsport styling will seem silly but for me its a nice balance between classy/composed hot hatch with a little enthusiast flair to raise some coworkers eyebrows when you're leaving work :D

There's loud and in your face, and then there is hideously overdone.
The Honda looks like an 8 year old boy was given acid and allowed to design his own Hot Wheels car.

Don't get me started with the type R....my goodness. Its such a shame they didn't go to their S2000 routes on this one. Nice sporty design, amazing gearbox, engine that revs to moon, PLUS a turbo :eek: I would happily eat the extra $10K over what I paid for my GTI to get a package even close to that.

rip steakface

Go Kart Newbie
Are you taking about like what the hyundai veloster has?

i don't really care for any type of built-in bumper/bodywork piece that hides or covers the actual exhaust and makes it look like it's integrated into the bodywork. i like to see the pipes, if you know what i mean. i think it looks goofy when you peer into a piece of plastic molded into the bumper and see the rusty bare-exhaust pipe/tip hiding in there, like a moray eel lurking under a rock lol. i guess it allows for a less precise fitment of the exhaust since you'll never notice if they're not lined up, but i'm not a fan

rip steakface

Go Kart Newbie
if you google "fake exhaust tips" you'll see a bunch. dodge charger comes to mind as a good example, i've also seen some mercedes with something similar. it's gotten out of hand on newer cars...

Zer0DazE

Ready to race!
am i the only one who likes the new type-r? might be that im still too young :eek:

I like it's performance, and coupled with Honda reliability it has me seriously considering ditching the GTI. The GTI looks good, but I don't know how much longer I can deal with the all the small issues I seem to have. It's a really hot girl with daddy issues, fun at first and then has you asking "What did I get myself into"? The Civic on the other hand is like a fat girl or a scooter... fun to ride but don't let your friends see you doing it.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
i don't really care for any type of built-in bumper/bodywork piece that hides or covers the actual exhaust and makes it look like it's integrated into the bodywork. i like to see the pipes, if you know what i mean. i think it looks goofy when you peer into a piece of plastic molded into the bumper and see the rusty bare-exhaust pipe/tip hiding in there, like a moray eel lurking under a rock lol. i guess it allows for a less precise fitment of the exhaust since you'll never notice if they're not lined up, but i'm not a fan

Yeah, I hate the trend of integrated exhaust outlets.
I like the exhaust pipes to look like what they actually are.
I hope future GTI's continue with twin exhaust pipes that are actually pipes.