GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I think my low pressure fuel pump is failing

Mels15GTI

Ready to race!
Today my car decided not to start for me after doing some shopping. There has been a couple times recently where I went to accelerate and the car has fallen flat on its face. I turned it over, it started, ran rough and died. I repeated this five or six times, even pressing the accelerator, with no luck. I was within 15 miles of refill according to the mid so it still seemed to have fuel. Also there wasn’t any gas smell like I’d think after multiple start and dies. I left it to go try and purchase a gas can and gas, see if my gauge was off. No such luck, 5 minutes later I came back and tried again, it started up and got me home. I filled it up and it seems to be running fine, although after leaving the gas station it did fall on its face under heavy acceleration. I don’t have a code reader, I know that’s not much help. Also 60k on stock plugs.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
If you regularly let your car run that low on gas I’m sure you’re correct.

When it finally gives out you should get an EPC light

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’d start by checking for codes and look at the spark plugs. Improper gap/wear will cause hard starts and lack of power. And even stock you should have replaced them by 60k

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If you regularly let your car run that low on gas I’m sure you’re correct.

When it finally gives out you should get an EPC light

^^^^ I believe the in-tank pump relies on gasoline to lubricate it.

If you had a VCDS you could measure pressure and bleed down time.

Mels15GTI

Ready to race!
I’d start by checking for codes and look at the spark plugs. Improper gap/wear will cause hard starts and lack of power. And even stock you should have replaced them by 60k

I meant the plugs are stock, the car isn’t. I took it to autozone, the only codes they pulled were o2, I have an aftermarket downpipe, I did also notice my vband was pretty loose, I tightened it up. Not sure, may have to have a local Indy look at it. I usually fill it up at 1/4, I hate running that low on gas.

Last edited:

Mels15GTI

Ready to race!
Do you hear the pump priming when you open the driver's door?

I believe I do, I’m 40 an in the trades, kinda hard of hearing, I do think I hear a slight buzz when I open the door. The problem has been intermittent up to this point.

Last edited:

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
Turn ign on so you'll the fuel pump prime if it does. IMO change the plugs for whatever the tune recommends and see if that helps. Either way 60k tuned is a lot on stock plugs.

Mels15GTI

Ready to race!
Turn ign on so you'll the fuel pump prime if it does. IMO change the plugs for whatever the tune recommends and see if that helps. Either way 60k tuned is a lot on stock plugs.

I was going to buy some brisk racing, I’m not sure whether to get 12 or 14. I’m only jb4 at the moment. I don’t see needing the coldest plugs, I don’t know the number difference between colder and warmer.

Mels15GTI

Ready to race!
I ended up with some fuel related codes, a p1250 and a p3073. The 3073 seems to pony towards the LPFP. Not totally directly though. Odd though it had codes for map, manifold, and boost sensor stored.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
^^^^ I believe the in-tank pump relies on gasoline to lubricate it.

If you had a VCDS you could measure pressure and bleed down time.

Exactly, fuel cools and lubricates the fuel pump. If you have access to OBD11 or VCDS, find the PID for fuel pump duty cycle. I forget the exact spec, but if you see the fuel pump being commanded to 80% duty cycle or above at idle, the pump is dying. Also watching how much pressure the pump is creating can be a good sign.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I was going to buy some brisk racing, I’m not sure whether to get 12 or 14. I’m only jb4 at the moment. I don’t see needing the coldest plugs, I don’t know the number difference between colder and warmer.

Depends what map you're running and the specs of it, I would advise you to either ask a local Euro tuner or ask in the JB4 thread. I don't have a JB4 so I'm not of much help sadly.