GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I drove in paint

Hockey

Ready to race!
Driving home last week a road work crew past me going the other direction. When I passed them I heard something that I thought sounded like sand or rocks hitting the side of my car. I pulled over to find it was bright yellow paint. The kind they use to do the lines for the roads.

Long story short I got in my car and drove home and cleaned most of it off right away. Oddly enough I am having a hard time removing the paint from the tires. Any suggestions of chemicals or products that will remove paint but won't damage my rims or tires?

IES99

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
wear and time should take care of that paint

Here comes my story: a year ago I had to drive on a freshly tarred and chipped rural road. The tar adhered to the tires. The car sat over night and the next morning I had to drive out over a gravel road. The gravel had stuck to the tires and when I got out on the hard pavement the car was shaking and the nose was something else. I had to get some tools to patiently scrape the gravel from the tires. About an hour's work.
It took a mile or two to remove all the chips from the treads.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
Pressure washer removed all of mine....

This is what i'd recommend. I wouldn't take any chemicals to the tires. Actually take the wheel off and pressure wash it, making sure you're just hitting the tire and don't blast off the wheel weights.

Hockey

Ready to race!
What do the wheel wells look like?

I spent a good hour on both wheel wells scrubbing.

Few little yellow spots you can only see close up. I think the only reason the paint is still on the tires is because I was able to get everything else off before it dried, I didn't quite make it to the tires in time.

Day by day there is less paint on the tires, so guess I'll play the waiting game. It's just really unfortunate because I've only had the tires for a month.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I spent a good hour on both wheel wells scrubbing.

Few little yellow spots you can only see close up. I think the only reason the paint is still on the tires is because I was able to get everything else off before it dried, I didn't quite make it to the tires in time.

Day by day there is less paint on the tires, so guess I'll play the waiting game. It's just really unfortunate because I've only had the tires for a month.

With the suggestion to power wash you could spray on some tire blessing before to see if it helps loosen anything. You could also try Oops!
Maybe use in small amounts with a cloth to get any on face of tire.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
wear and time should take care of that paint

Here comes my story: a year ago I had to drive on a freshly tarred and chipped rural road. The tar adhered to the tires. The car sat over night and the next morning I had to drive out over a gravel road. The gravel had stuck to the tires and when I got out on the hard pavement the car was shaking and the nose was something else. I had to get some tools to patiently scrape the gravel from the tires. About an hour's work.
It took a mile or two to remove all the chips from the treads.

They recently chip and sealed all the roads by my house. I washed my car one day and there was what looked like a huge scratch going all the way from the front of my hood to the windshield. Luckily it was just tar (or chewing gum is what it looked like, but who knows) and it took half an hour to clay bar it all off. Still have some little splatters of it on my windshield that I haven't tried to clean off yet.

OP, the paint will come off. I wouldnt recommend scrubbing the wheels with anything hard. WD40 is good at getting paint off places it shouldnt be. The paint on the FC04's is really fragile I'm beginning to notice.

Danosaurus

Ready to race!
I think the yellow looks cute and you should add more.

Kidding. But not really.

Based on how nice the rubber looks on those tires, I'd probably just pick away at it, or leave it. I don't know, I'm extremely anal when it comes to things.