GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hoon's DIYish Engine Build Thread

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Don't take that as the end, my close friend ended up in intensive Care from CV 5 weeks ago, we all got the call from his family saying it was close to the end, last night I stayed up till 5am playing xbox with the same guy, I know he was very lucky but you can't give up until things are up, A little hope is still hope and things can get better as fast as they went to shit.

Stay strong man, we are all thinking of you.

It's way more than just a critical breathing issue at this point.

He has a secondary infection and is in septic shock. Blood pressure is 75/40, organs are shutting down.

This is after both lungs were collapsed on the ventilator, kidney failure (which started to recover prior to whatever issue we have now), and a few other issues.

None of the docs believe this to be a survivable situation.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Damn Matt, that shit sucks. Hope the best for you and your family. Take care of your family and be there for them as that is more important right now. You can always take care of your car at a later time.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
This month long ordeal has finally come to an end.

It would take far too long to get into all the details of his covid situation and the many associated issues, but it was likely not survivable. We were still holding out hope because we were told that 2 weeks ago and then he started to recover prior to becoming extremely critical again.

One of the issues with Covid is clotting in the lungs, and yesterday my dad started showing signs of a stroke. He was too critical to be moved for testing, but it doesn't matter because the signs were very clear. On top of everything else, the stroke made it an easy decision to discontinue treatment.

If somehow he managed to survive everything, his quality of life would have been miserable. He would never want to spend his days stroked out in a chair with an oxygen hose waiting for something else to kill him, and he would have been pissed if we ever put him in that situation. He worked for 32 years at he hospital he died at, which i think played a significant role in them allowing my mother in to be with him while he passed.

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Sorry for your loss man...my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Condolences sir.

Thank you for sharing your story.
Thanks

Part of the reason I'm sharing is because there are still people who think this is fake, media hype, the same thing as the flu, etc.

The flu estimates vary but it can reach as many as 60M Americans/year. With all the measures we've taken so far, we've limited Covid to officially 1.1M people (although more like myself are not officially on the books) and the death toll between the two is about the same at this time. It blows my mind that people think there is any comparison between them.

My dad's only health issue was COPD. He quit smoking 20 years ago but the damage doesn't go away. Other than that he was in very good health, took no meds, etc. The flu would have never been a problem, and this was fatal.

I'm not getting into the political debate, but from a biological/public health perspective, some of the ignorance on social media is astounding.

I'm off the soapbox on this, we'll get back to building an engine soon.

Last edited:

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
So sorry for your loss Hoon your dad sure gave it his all and it is overwhelming to hear all that he had to endure. I lost my dad rapidly when he was only 60 but I can not imagen having to deal with your situation but I still want to thank you for being able to talk about it to us.