GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Sound upgrade dongle official rental thread!

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
That was my point.. my dealer said they would charge me 20 bucks to do it if needed. Which is way more reasonable.

let me call mine and see how much they want. By the time this list i complete, it will be like a month from now.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
So I contacted the two local dealers. Both service advisors had no clue about this at all. One thought I wanted to "tune" my car. The other said, no clue can't help as it's not a vw accessory.

I finally got someone that sort of knew what it was. They said I would have to pay for the part and $150 in labor. I laughed and said I knew more about using this device than your techs since they thought it gets plugged into the obd2 port.

Oh well, ordered a dongle online.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
did you also show them it was a VW accessory lmao

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

I tried to explain it. They told me I needed to talk to parts about it. I told them parts can't get it because it's a service item. I said, I'll just do it myself especially if you're charging $150 + price of the dongle for 5 minutes of work.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
I tried to explain it. They told me I needed to talk to parts about it. I told them parts can't get it because it's a service item. I said, I'll just do it myself especially if you're charging $150 + price of the dongle for 5 minutes of work.

I'm thinking of getting on just so I can maybe switch back and forth if I have to take out the sub and put the tire in for long trips.. or If I could get my hands on that demo switch.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
There is an adapter so you can take out the sub and reuse the stock stereo. It's 20 euro plus shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
There is an adapter so you can take out the sub and reuse the stock stereo. It's 20 euro plus shipping.

I'm interested/confused as to what this adapter is. The only plug on the sub itself is the 8pin for the 2 DVC subs, if you unplug that from the amp unit, the sub comes out. What does the adapter do?

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
It "splices" the wires back together.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
It "splices" the wires back together.

Ohh taking the DSP with the sub box, gotcha. Wouldn't there still be a sound quality improvement with the DSP still connected but the sub removed? I guess you wouldn't screw the DSP in at that point but otherwise no worse labor wise.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
The DSP is part of the sub. You remove everything but the wiring harness. But, by doing this the radio is looking for that amp so no sound comes from the speakers. By using this adapter it acts like the wiring is back to stock and the radio emits sound from its internal amplifier.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
The DSP is part of the sub. You remove everything but the wiring harness. But, by doing this the radio is looking for that amp so no sound comes from the speakers. By using this adapter it acts like the wiring is back to stock and the radio emits sound from its internal amplifier.

The DSP isn't actually part of the sub, it's a separate unit that fits in a cavity of the sub. You could very easily Velcro that unit on to the sub box instead of screwing it like the instructions note, and just take the box out to swap for a spare, but this harness does make it easier, just no DSP.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Sorry, I meant the sub box. I'm talking about removing the sub unit as a whole.

mech23

Passed Driver's Ed
Got the Helix installed today. Biggest pain was getting the cables behind the infotainment headunit pushed back into the dash so they won't rattle. I did wrap the plastic connectors with some adhesive felt tape.
I'm on the wait list, so I'll live with it as shipped for some days, then get it coded. Will post my observations of both states after getting the coding done.