GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got a bad turbo? Let's track the issue...

Nitsrik1976

Ready to race!
We're working on a big turbo kit as we speak and we're testing different turbos.

Arin are these turbos going to be running a standard journal or a ball bearing and why are the OEM turbos failing mid point along the impeller shaft. What bearings do the OEM turbos use? How come no reported version 4 / revision T's are failing....what has been changed?

blackcat1

Banned
There are T turbos failing, sadly.

Arin, I hope they come before VW comes up with a solution, sales will be through the roof haha

Arin are these turbos going to be running a standard journal or a ball bearing and why are the OEM turbos failing mid point along the impeller shaft. What bearings do the OEM turbos use? How come no reported version 4 / revision T's are failing....what has been changed?

Nitsrik1976

Ready to race!
We will use a ball bearing turbo.

Journal bearings.

Arin have you seen T revision failures yet?
I can totally spin and freewheel my compressor turbine wheel with my little finger so I'm assuming the shaft is sheared.
Have your R &D guys figured out why these OEM turbos keep expiring

Nitsrik1976

Ready to race!
I don't think I have but there may be some out there that have failed. We changed ours to a revision T before a recent track day. Engineering inspected it after the day and didn't find any shaft play.

Arin if the Turbo fails on the Mk7 GTi or R is there any chance Turbo swarf/ metal particles end up causing damage to the engine?

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
Arin thx for the info.
I note however that the TSB lists the (T) revision as "causal" i.e. faulty (see page 9) therefore I think you should update your earlier post as this is official statement from VW/Audi that the (T) revision may be faulty.

What I do not understand is them listing the same part number and version (T) as a replacement unit (see page 11) ...ideas?

k20power

I had my (R) turbo blow at around ~500 miles while on APR software(as reported on VWVortex about a month back)... Had it replaced no questions asked by dealer to a Rev. (T) turbo along with new oil lines.
Got re-flashed again, put another ~500 miles on the car and bye-bye went (T) turbo. So, 1,100 miles and two turbos - one being a (T). Got refunded for tune and needless to say I am staying stock for now.

Also, for the record, I was/am NOT piss pounding said car which one would be lead to think after such happenings in such a short period of time. I daily drive the car, mostly highway, with the occasional 2-3 pull to show friends or whoever the increased power.

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
I had my (R) turbo blow at around ~500 miles while on APR software(as reported on VWVortex about a month back)... Had it replaced no questions asked by dealer to a Rev. (T) turbo along with new oil lines.
Got re-flashed again, put another ~500 miles on the car and bye-bye went (T) turbo. So, 1,100 miles and two turbos - one being a (T). Got refunded for tune and needless to say I am staying stock for now.

Also, for the record, I was/am NOT piss pounding said car which one would be lead to think after such happenings in such a short period of time. I daily drive the car, mostly highway, with the occasional 2-3 pull to show friends or whoever the increased power.

Wow, that sucks. Hopefully your car is an anomaly. My "rev R" turbo has been stage 1 for over 3000 miles, and I do pound the piss out of it on a regular basis. I wonder if bad gas has something to do with your failures, just a thought.

Arin, why did you replace yours? The old K gave up?

Our car came with a revision R turbo. We've tracked it before and figured since we know some are failing, it was better safe than sorry.

This statement makes me feel really good about my revision R turbo. Want to swap my turbo out for a revision T turbo APR, just to be safe? :D