GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got a bad turbo? Let's track the issue...

sezmo

Passed Driver's Ed
I check the forums almost daily for news about this issue as I have a Q turbo and was all booked in for stage one when I stumbled accross this issue one evening! I have covered 25,000kms in stock form without a problem so far with some spirited driving at times and from what I gather the failures are happening early in the affected turbos life. I might just bite the bullet and risk it.

Mycroft1

Passed Driver's Ed
I check the forums almost daily for news about this issue as I have a Q turbo and was all booked in for stage one when I stumbled accross this issue one evening! I have covered 25,000kms in stock form without a problem so far with some spirited driving at times and from what I gather the failures are happening early in the affected turbos life. I might just bite the bullet and risk it.

I too am watching closely as I do not currently have the testicular fortitude to do stage 1 at the moment until more info on reliability is available.

Pl do let us know if you tune and your turbo survives. I have a 702 N MK 7R that is waiting.

GoTime1

Ready to race!

just do it. I have Q and tune with no issues after 16 000km

Mycroft1

Passed Driver's Ed
just do it. I have Q and tune with no issues after 16 000km

Thanks for the Nike tag line.

You also need to know that I am best friends with the Murphy that gave his name to the Law.

In my case, whatever can go wrong will go wrong! Even some things that can't go wrong have also gone wrong!!

Hence, I have to take this contingency in mind and take the conservative route.

GoTime1

Ready to race!
Thanks for the Nike tag line.

You also need to know that I am best friends with the Murphy that gave his name to the Law.

In my case, whatever can go wrong will go wrong! Even some things that can't go wrong have also gone wrong!!

Hence, I have to take this contingency in mind and take the conservative route.

Leave Murphy in the dark and start trusting Mr MakeYourOwnLuck ;)

Mycroft1

Passed Driver's Ed
Arin could chime in with some figures on how many GTI's they know about that blowed up. In my country alone I got notice of 20 cases. And there are many more of course that I didn't hear about.

Thanks for this input. The number that you quote is not insignificant.

I would be however more interested in the Rs and their failure rates.

Terra

Passed Driver's Ed
Mr Blackcat, I think you leave in Brazil... If true, do you personally know someone that had the issue?

gtibrazil

Mr Blackcat, I think you leave in Brazil... If true, do you personally know someone that had the issue?

My Turbo failed last Saturday with only 9300km while on WOT pulling away from a stock GTI

30 days after reflashing my car.

CEL came on and a whinning noise began

Revision R Turbo
APR Tuned
ROW GTI

Last edited:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Arin could chime in with some figures on how many GTI's they know about that blowed up. In my country alone I got notice of 20 cases. And there are many more of course that I didn't hear about.

I spoke with my US sales guys this morning and I'm aware of only 4 total on 3 vehicles since the launch. If I'm not mistaken, we're near or past the 1,000 flash mark.