GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf Mk8 on the way 2019

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Pretty sure its a mock up too. Those pics have been floating around the web for a while now.

The renderings of forthcoming new models that appear in the UK Auto Express magazine are renowned for being woefully inaccurate, so it’s a pretty safe bet that the mk8 won’t look like that.

The mk8 Golf is much more likely to follow VW’s latest design language, and therefore ‘wear’ the new VW family ‘face’ for its’s headlamps and grille that can be seen on the Arteon, T-Roc and Polo models.

Ignore the crappy renderings and wait for VW to release the official pictures, which, with a 2019 launch, it’ll be a good few months until they do this.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
For me, the exterior look, while interesting, is far less important (barring a wholesale transformation into something like the new Civic) than the powertrain and electronics suites being offered.

takemorepills

Ready to race!
Time to find the CAR-NET antenna and unplug it. While you're at it, find the Event Data Recorder and unplug that too. I'm surprised someone doesn't have the instructions posted.

The instructions for CAR-NET are on this site somewhere. IIRC, the "brains" of it live inside or behind (forget details) the instrument cluster. It seemed to be like excising a tumor from a persons' brain.
I considered removing it, too, but let's be real here....remove CAR-NET and drive around with a smartphone? CAR-NET is way more private than your smartphone. Much more data about a person available from the smartphone than some manufacturers model-specific telematics system.

As for the EDR, that is likely resident within the ECU memory and can not be disabled.

takemorepills

Ready to race!
That OPs pic is a Mk7 photoshop job.

Recently VW released a few design pics and some drivetrain details.

For some damn reason, some people (car sites and mags) have kept saying the Mk8 GTI would be hybrid. WTF! But, VW is saying simply that the GTI will be 250HP, and R will be 350HP. Two very attainable outputs from revised versions of the current drivetrain. VW also stated it will be a revised MQB platform, 100 pounds lighter due to more high-strength steel usage.
VW is famously conservative with design, I suspect the Mk8 will be a handsome car also.
My concern for Mk8 will be the further cheapening of interior electronics, such as removing gauges for LCD panels, and knobs for touchscreens. Manufacturers do this to save money, and consumers think digital cockpit is cool?!?! Fuck I want to keep my buttons and I want my expensive, complicated electro-mechanical gauges. It's a car, not a smartphone!

I still think 2016 Mk7 was best version yet (for USA). You could get 2 door, MIB2 was standard, LP and PP were al la carte and the interior didn't have the cost cutters go through and remove lighted switches, CD player, under seat tray, etc.

I think Mk8 will be nice, but we'll have to see if it is truly NICER than a Mk7. Possibly just "more" standard power, standard VAQ and 7DSG will be only benefits over Mk7. Oh, and a different appearance.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
My concern for Mk8 will be the further cheapening of interior electronics, such as removing gauges for LCD panels, and knobs for touchscreens. Manufacturers do this to save money, and consumers think digital cockpit is cool?!?! Fuck I want to keep my buttons and I want my expensive, complicated electro-mechanical gauges. It's a car, not a smartphone!

I still think 2016 Mk7 was best version yet (for USA). You could get 2 door, MIB2 was standard, LP and PP were al la carte and the interior didn't have the cost cutters go through and remove lighted switches, CD player, under seat tray etc.

I think Mk8 will be nice, but we'll have to see if it is truly NICER than a Mk7. Possibly just "more" standard power, standard VAQ and 7DSG will be only benefits over Mk7. Oh, and a different appearance.

If the mk8 Golf follows the same direction as the new generation Polo and the all new T-Roc models, there will be evidence of cost cutting in some of the interior trim. In those two models, the door cards are made wholly from a hard textured scratchy plastic (no fabric or leatherette covered panel inserts) and certainly give the appearance of being lower quality than those in the current Golf (and the previous VW Polo model). The upper surfaces of dashboard in the T-Roc are also hard plastic; not soft-touch like the dashboard in the current Golf. Hard plastics may be durable and hard wearing, but they do cheapen the look and feel of the interior.

I suppose VW need to make savings where they can to fund the cost of Dieselgate.

takemorepills

Ready to race!
If the mk8 Golf follows the same direction as the new generation Polo and the all new T-Roc models, there will be evidence of cost cutting in some of the interior trim. In those two models, the door cards are made wholly from a hard textured scratchy plastic (no fabric or leatherette covered panel inserts) and certainly give the appearance of being lower quality than those in the current Golf (and the previous VW Polo model). The upper surfaces of dashboard in the T-Roc are also hard plastic; not soft-touch like the dashboard in the current Golf. Hard plastics may be durable and hard wearing, but they do cheapen the look and feel of the interior.

I suppose VW need to make savings where they can to fund the cost of Dieselgate.

I've driven the recent Jetta, and they are just like what you describe. But, I heard that the MQB Jetta coming down the line is better than the current Jetta in this regard. Not great, but better. Because the current Jetta is a Tupperware penalty box

wave

Ready to race!
Looks like the Focus/Fiesta ST. I'll pass.

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
If the new Jetta is any idea, the mk8 will look much like the redesigned mk7. I'm more a fan of the early mk7 look.

SpeedDemon

Ready to race!
Why the fuck does it look like it has pointy eye lash ends???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nathan1201

I really like this car! I am even quite OK with the color, at least on picture it looks beautiful. Usually I had silver cars, but this golden one would love to see/drive one day!

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Why the fuck does it look like it has pointy eye lash ends???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s just a rendering - and IMO, a poor one at that.

Pictures and article appeared in the UK magazine Auto Express and to my knowledge, they’ve never produced an accurate rendering yet.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
This isn't real right? No where in that article does it even mention the pictures/photos or made any claims of them being official or rendered.

No, it isn’t real. Those pictures will be purely speculatative; someone’s best guess. VW would never issue official pictures so far ahead of a vehicle’s launch date.

If July 2019 is the official launch date, then VW won’t issue official press pictures for many months to come. They’re likely to be the first accurate pictures of what the mk8 will look like.