GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf Mk8 on the way 2019

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Instead of adding more tech, too bad it didn’t say “VW is not only concentrating on performance in the MK8, but is also heavily focused on addressing “FCR” (f@*&ing creaks and rattles) that has so plagued these lovely little German dynamos for years.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
This is a joke right? That looks awful all around.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
I hope it looks like that. MK7s will hold their value better lol whoever came up with that rendering should get their eyes checked.

The MK7.5 brought some real nice higher end touches to the MK7 (gauges, headlights, taillights, infotainment system, etc.) that brought it closer to a base Audi. This would be a big step back in the styling department.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Not even a mock-up, just some artist's guess.

^^ Yes, this.^^
In my experience VW does not release images of its cars before production.
There was a lot of this going around about the MK7 before its release.
All of the renderings turned out to be pretty far off of the mark.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I...like it. I even like the color shown here, though I usually loathe yellows. There is one shot of what looks like some sort of R version, in a different color and with two doors, in the photos in that linked article, too.

While I am happy about the planned power boosts for the GTI and R, though as usual it's unclear what if any of this will wind up here, I'm a little nervous about the whole "always online" connectivity stuff the VW suits like to go on and on about. In addition to my general lack of enthusiasm for having my car become an extension of my phone, I do worry that a manual transmission won't be part of the master plan when everything is digital, in the cloud, talking to each other, and interconnected.

But, eh, we'll see.

Time to find the CAR-NET antenna and unplug it. While you're at it, find the Event Data Recorder and unplug that too. I'm surprised someone doesn't have the instructions posted.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I can pretty much guarantee you that eventually it will be impossible to disconnect your car from the hive mind. Given that data distribution, from cars to some central collector and between cars as well, is essential for autonomous operation or even the integration of autonomous and non-autonomous cars, you can bet your bottom dollar that they will engineer cars (by choice or under legal mandate) so that attempts to disable such communication will either immobilize the car, alert authorities, or both.

It is very weird, though perhaps inevitable, that the coming eradication of personal auto use and ownership, and pleasure driving, is being driven by an unholy alliance of new left machine haters and Neo-Liberal right-wing robber barons.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Might as buy a crappy Maxima.

There's no indication that VW intends to go the extended headlight trend.
Look at the recent Jetta, Tiguan, and Atlas.
The MK8 is not going to stray too far from that design language.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I can pretty much guarantee you that eventually it will be impossible to disconnect your car from the hive mind. Given that data distribution, from cars to some central collector and between cars as well, is essential for autonomous operation or even the integration of autonomous and non-autonomous cars, you can bet your bottom dollar that they will engineer cars (by choice or under legal mandate) so that attempts to disable such communication will either immobilize the car, alert authorities, or both.

It is very weird, though perhaps inevitable, that the coming eradication of personal auto use and ownership, and pleasure driving, is being driven by an unholy alliance of new left machine haters and Neo-Liberal right-wing robber barons.

I wish I didn't agree with this. :(