GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front mount intercooler options.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
@gn4r was that before your JB1? With the turbo probably out of the efficiency area with any sort of tune, I'd think the numbers might be even lower on a stock car. Maybe when the weather turns around, you could get a map 0 pull to emulate a stock boost level car. Also, did you notice any turbo lag/pressure loss when you upgraded?

This was with a JB1 MAP6 at 5.2psi, no noticeable turbo lag or pressure loss with the unit.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
I think I am just having a hard time seeing how something as low volume as the neuspeed could be more efficient than the stocker. I also have some reservations on the Twintercooler, since its high volume but you would think the stock intercooler would reduce efficiency and they would "meet in the middle" so to speak in terms of joint cooling affect.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe even with the lesser volume of the neuspeed it should still outperform stock due to neuspeed being a bar and plate intercooler. There is a MK7 R from Puerto Rico who's ETs imporved by .2 and traps improved by 4 mph from switching to a neuspeed fmic so it must be doing something.

ModdedEuros

Go Kart Champion
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe even with the lesser volume of the neuspeed it should still outperform stock due to neuspeed being a bar and plate intercooler. There is a MK7 R from Puerto Rico who's ETs imporved by .2 and traps improved by 4 mph from switching to a neuspeed fmic so it must be doing something.

You cannot necessarily measure the improvements of an intercooler from a 1/4 mile run as there is too much variability in the driver. Best way to analyze it is to get some IC specific data. For example like Unitronic has posted in this thread.

Neuspeed makes some quality products for sure, just need to get some actual data to compare if you are looking to see the differences between all the IC options on the market.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
You cannot necessarily measure the improvements of an intercooler from a 1/4 mile run as there is too much variability in the driver. Best way to analyze it is to get some IC specific data. For example like Unitronic has posted in this thread.

Neuspeed makes some quality products for sure, just need to get some actual data to compare if you are looking to see the differences between all the IC options on the market.

I'm a bit surprised there isn't much data floating around with the different IC showing temperature improvements after switching. Is there a way to measure charge air temps on the MK7? On the FoST platform there were tons of datalogs showing the charge air temp rise after a pull so people could compare.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
I'm a bit surprised there isn't much data floating around with the different IC showing temperature improvements after switching. Is there a way to measure charge air temps on the MK7? On the FoST platform there were tons of datalogs showing the charge air temp rise after a pull so people could compare.

That's because the FoST had a notoriously terrible stock IC

Euro Tech

Ready to race!
I would love to see some logs, if anyone has them of any intercooler they are running. I do know the stock location intercoolers are all the rage are are probably more efficient than a smaller front mount. But as I said, I am going for the look as well. I could not imagine the difference in performance being anything but negligible between a stock location and a good front mount. So I would prefer this to be a front mount vs front mount thread rather than front mount vs stock location. I am not running the Ring, I do highway pulls and drag runs.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Neuspeed has a FMIC for the R that is a little bigger that I'm thinking of getting for the GTI. Neuspeed says it should bolt on but have not tested it so cant guarantee it would fit in the bumper.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
The CTS Turbo front mount is really good, but you will have to drill into the front crash bar to mount it.

That's because the FoST had a notoriously terrible stock IC
I can totally vouch for this. I had a FoST, and switched out the "intercooler" for a CP-E Lightweight version. I can easily say what I took out of the FoST looked more like an oil cooler than it did an intercooler. It was seriously pathetic and worse the car has a shutter system, for what I do not know, but I do know that sometimes while driving it would be closed.

rjtrout

Go Kart Newbie
Forgive the newbie question, but what sort of benefits would an intercooler upgrade give a car running a stock tune? Is there an intercooler option that you would recommend over the others?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Navi

Autocross Champion
Yes, another intercooler question. I’ve been searching google and the forums a lot trying to find information on these two intercoolers. I know the IE intercooler is great and have read up a lot on it, but I’m curious about these two other choices. Is anyone running them? Experiences? I know Wagner specialized in intercoolers for German cars, etc, and then on the other hand I will probably run a Forge radiator soon which mounts right up to the Forge intercooler, but I would assume the radiator is made to work with any intercooler so that point but be mute. Hopefully some people with first hand experience can chime in.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Yes, another intercooler question. I’ve been searching google and the forums a lot trying to find information on these two intercoolers. I know the IE intercooler is great and have read up a lot on it, but I’m curious about these two other choices. Is anyone running them? Experiences? I know Wagner specialized in intercoolers for German cars, etc, and then on the other hand I will probably run a Forge radiator soon which mounts right up to the Forge intercooler, but I would assume the radiator is made to work with any intercooler so that point but be mute. Hopefully some people with first hand experience can chime in.

If you are going to go Forge radiator then get their intercooler. No need to make guesses on fitment. I'm sure their IC is great.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking but I rather have a better intercooler and run the stock radiatior than get a sub par intercooler just bc I plan on switching the radiator. I haven’t seen anyone running an upgraded radiator either so I doubt it’s that important. Just something I would “like” to do since I’ve done it in my last 3 cars and it always helped in the rush hour traffic of nyc. Basically my point is, the three intercooler I’m looking at are all $900-$1000 and I would like to get the best one and not have to worry about changing out anything later. Honestly my goals for the car aren’t that ambitious so any would work but if they’re all the same price might as well get the better one and be done with it no? I just got a quote back for the IE intercooler for $829 so that’s quite tempting. I would love to hear about the forge and more specifically, the Wagner before making a decision. The only info I’ve found on those two intercooler was pertaining to the n54 bmw engine and whatever each respective manufacture had published in their website.