GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front Assist , scary!

punter

Passed Driver's Ed
My 'assist' gave me a surprise where two dual carriageways join in a merge then split ( start of the M61 / A666 / M60 at Manchester if you know it !) rather than junction. I was on the left road wanting to move to the right another car was on the right and moving to the left ( a sort of crisscross I suppose !)
Anyhow the overall effect was that as he passed safely in front of me my 'electronic mate' put the brakes on for a moment ! Not pleasant but I will learn how to work with the system I guess !

paddypool

Ready to race!
My 'assist' gave me a surprise where two dual carriageways join in a merge then split ( start of the M61 / A666 / M60 at Manchester if you know it !) rather than junction. I was on the left road wanting to move to the right another car was on the right and moving to the left ( a sort of crisscross I suppose !)
Anyhow the overall effect was that as he passed safely in front of me my 'electronic mate' put the brakes on for a moment ! Not pleasant but I will learn how to work with the system I guess !

can you not easily turn this off on the steering wheel for situations like that?....
I'm personally really looking forward to having the front assist, in fact it's the main reason I'll change my mk 6, otherwise I wouldn't bother...

I drive an hour to work on single lane carriages & you literly cannot take your eyes off the road eg. you have cruise control set at whatever, everyone in front is doing the same speed for miles, then you might glance into a field, look back & your almost up the rear of someone as another car has joined from a side road...so it will be a huge benefit to me i hope!

jp_cfc09

Ready to race!
you can turn it off by pressing the button on the left indicator stalk at the end and it will bring up front assit etc to be uncheek/turned off by pressing ok on the sterring wheel.

ept

Ready to race!
Taking my new car out for the first time yesterday involved a trip up the A1M and very wary at first about using ACC, but now very impressed with it. Amazing how it detected everything from lorries to motorbikes and adjusted speed and distance flawlessly. Still very nervous however, particularly when overtaking juggernauts that the 'fault' described on this thread was going to kick in and found myself gripping the steering wheel as if it was going to lurch out of control at any minute! I guess I'll get over that with time!
One thing I did notice was the delay sometimes in picking up speed again after slow car in front finally decided to pull in to the inside lane. The natural thing to do in such a circumstance is to accelerate before he's got there but ACC seemed to wait until he was completely out of range. With cars on my tail I felt I should be anticipating the clear road ahead sooner. Yes, I know I can always take over and accelerate manually, but my right foot could get very lazy with this new car!
Doden If you,ve got the engine set to Eco it does take longer to pick up speed again if you set the engine to sport the pick up is noticeably quicker.

marvin1

Ready to race!
When you refer to Front Assist are talking about the feature that Adaptive Cruise Control gives you in slowing down and adjusting distance/time between you and car in front, whent he car will automatically brake itself to keep a safe distance?
If so, does disabling this with the end button on the stalk change the system to ordinary Cruise Control that I have on my MK6?

jp_cfc09

Ready to race!
honestly never turned it off mate as I like it lol, the faster your going the car will want a slightly bigger gap as brakeing distance is more. ill cheek later if im out and see.

leachmj

Passed Driver's Ed
Front assist and adaptive cruise control (ACC) are two different systems. I think some contributors are confusing the two. If you are travelling at 70 with ACC and a car cuts in front of you at 75, the ACC will not brake, however if the car cuts in front of you at 65 the ACC will brake until you are travelling at 65 also and fall back to the set gap. If at the same time the front assist decides you are about to have an accident it will take the actions it needs to like per tensioning the seat belts, preloading the brakes and brake.

Hope this helps

punter

Passed Driver's Ed
What fun ! Driving over an undulating ( up and down !) road at some speed !!! when I went down a steep hill guess what happened as I got to the bottom ??? Yes on came the brakes ! Is fun this toy.

On the subject of the 'Hand Book', has anyone noticed the items on screen display at the front ish that they have forgotten to put in English ?? Ser Gut V.W. !

liviu2004

Passing a big truck on the highway in 110km/h then suddenly the car brakes hard, some messages in red comes up on the dashboard. There was NO reason for the Front Assist system to brake the car, it must have been a false alarm from the sensors. Scary!! Can we trust the new systems on the Golf?

Had the same conditions and same reaction. Must be interference or something, as I passed so many times trucks and never happened again.

nexx

Passed Driver's Ed
bad implementation

Had the same conditions and same reaction. Must be interference or something, as I passed so many times trucks and never happened again.

IMO the car with "Front Assist" enabled, when an alarming event is triggered, should act to minimize braking time, but without actually braking. So when you depress the brake, it will have the optimum effect. But this is not the case, at least with the 2013 Euro-spec Passat I've had. While "Front Assist" looked good in theory, I did not likxe the implementation on that car. So eventually I disabled it.

The annoying thing was I had to disable it every time I've start the vehicle. Also, when you disable it, you can't use "park assist" neither "ACC". So when you're ready to start "park assist" you have to go to the menus and enable "park assist" first.

Very bad implementation IMO. Wondering if it works like that in the mk7 golf as I don't have that option.

dipth

Ready to race!
Can we trust the new systems on the Golf?

I honestly can't follow your logic in that statement.
You're saying that a system designed to break the car in case of an impending accident, which brakes your car in what it thinks is an impending accident, will not break your car when you're about to get into an actual accident?

I would be more worried about the system if the car doesn't break your car in what it thinks is an actual accident.

A false positive is better than a false negative in this case, I would say :)
Safety first!

That being said, I've never experienced this myself, but I have a theory...
I think the car uses all the different assistance-systems in unison to decide it's actions, but in some configurations one or more of the systems might be missing, giving the car less data to base it's decisions upon.
For instance in my car I have both front assist and lane assist, which means that my car can read the lanes, which in turn means that it can see that the trucks I'm passing are in another lane. This means that it knows to ignore data from the front assist, but if I didn't have lane assist it wouldn't know this and would have to act on the data from the front assist alone.

Gignomeus

Ready to race!
That being said, I've never experienced this myself, but I have a theory...
I think the car uses all the different assistance-systems in unison to decide it's actions, but in some configurations one or more of the systems might be missing, giving the car less data to base it's decisions upon.
For instance in my car I have both front assist and lane assist, which means that my car can read the lanes, which in turn means that it can see that the trucks I'm passing are in another lane. This means that it knows to ignore data from the front assist, but if I didn't have lane assist it wouldn't know this and would have to act on the data from the front assist alone.

Its a nice idea but I'd be surprised if they did do this; effectively means they have to engineer multiple versions of the same system, entirely possible but its far more effort and expense than is actually required to just produce one system: my bet is on capitalism winning this round...

AMPJ8

Passed Driver's Ed
Belén using it for 3200 Km now. No issues but good to know as of course after reading the manual VW clearly highlights the inherent de fficiencies of the system.
So one has to be attentive ALL THE TIME regardless, system only helps to prevent and to have less fatigue nothing else.

I mean imagine an object crossing the path of the sensor or some reflection I am still pending sometimes about such situations expecting the system to react according to its logic.
I love it anyway.