GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front Assist , scary!

marvin1

Ready to race!
When you say pressing stalk, in what way do you mean? Fore and aft, up or down etc? We are not confusing all this with Adaptive Cruise Control and you seem, perhaps to be talking about cars without multifunctional steering wheel?

jp_cfc09

Ready to race!
When you say pressing stalk, in what way do you mean? Fore and aft, up or down etc? We are not confusing all this with Adaptive Cruise Control and you seem, perhaps to be talking about cars without multifunctional steering wheel?

on the left hand stalk theres a button on the end and yes steering wheels with multifunction as theres a ok button on the wheel. I mean front assit not acc. cars without multifuntion steering wheels I assume have to go into the settings, cars with can do this easy quick way.

on the left indicator stalk on the end theres a button, press it. on the dash in the centre where your trip info comes up a message will come saying front assist with a box ticked. press ok on the steering wheel to untick it and thats you. ok is on the right hand side of the wheel in the centre. depending on what your car has I think more might be there but ive only got a se.

Last edited:

PJ954

It happened to me on the A1(M) yesterday when a car pulled out into my lane. It wasn't a problem as he had indicated and I knew he was coming out at the same speed as me, and as I had a car close to my rear bumper I couldn't slow down too much to let him out but we all had room.

The GT decided this was a good opportunity to sound the alarm and brake the car; not sure who had the worst smell in the car. me or the driver behind!

Doden

Ready to race!
It happened to me on the A1(M) yesterday when a car pulled out into my lane. It wasn't a problem as he had indicated and I knew he was coming out at the same speed as me, and as I had a car close to my rear bumper I couldn't slow down too much to let him out but we all had room.

The GT decided this was a good opportunity to sound the alarm and brake the car; not sure who had the worst smell in the car. me or the driver behind!

This is exactly the sort of scenario that concerns me. I do hope someone from VW reads these comments and that something will be done about this. How long before this feature causes an accident? When it happens whose fault is it and what view will the insurance companies take on it?

vwman

Go Kart Champion
This is exactly the sort of scenario that concerns me. I do hope someone from VW reads these comments and that something will be done about this. How long before this feature causes an accident? When it happens whose fault is it and what view will the insurance companies take on it?

When you get your car it will be your responsibility if you decide to use this technology or not or simply switch it off

You will find plenty of warnings in the massive handbook.

I find it will give unnecessary warnings in certain situations but I chose to use it as it is definitely a safety aid.

marvin1

Ready to race!
There are quite a few problems already that VW need to address with this car before I part with my pensioner's savings. I believe that there is a windscreen wiper, inefficiency problem already, that seems to cause some folks angst. I expect there will be many others that seem to escape VW's thousands of kilometres of testing before they go into production.

jp_cfc09

Ready to race!
just turn the front assist off on the motorway, the wiper probelm is annoying but mostly only when its drizzley rain for me. heavy rain its not that noticeable to be honest, its a easy fix to be honest. just design a better wiper which I do think wont take them that long to sort out. id be more concerned if the front assist didnt kick in, like some mercs ive seen.

the person who rear ends you is at fault, the car pulled in front of you makeing the car brake as there wasnt enough room for the speed you were doing. the car behind should always leave enough room for any situation that arises.

Doden

Ready to race!
Taking my new car out for the first time yesterday involved a trip up the A1M and very wary at first about using ACC, but now very impressed with it. Amazing how it detected everything from lorries to motorbikes and adjusted speed and distance flawlessly. Still very nervous however, particularly when overtaking juggernauts that the 'fault' described on this thread was going to kick in and found myself gripping the steering wheel as if it was going to lurch out of control at any minute! I guess I'll get over that with time!
One thing I did notice was the delay sometimes in picking up speed again after slow car in front finally decided to pull in to the inside lane. The natural thing to do in such a circumstance is to accelerate before he's got there but ACC seemed to wait until he was completely out of range. With cars on my tail I felt I should be anticipating the clear road ahead sooner. Yes, I know I can always take over and accelerate manually, but my right foot could get very lazy with this new car!

Magician69

Is the supposed front assist problem you guys describe not actually the problem with the Dsg gear boxes that has led to the recalls. The Dsg problems described were that the car would suddenly lose power and it led to a death in Australia. Plus I thought front assist only works at relatively low speeds. Am now quite worried as have ordered a Dsg and thought this problem would be sorted in the mk7...

lawrie1

Ready to race!
Is the supposed front assist problem you guys describe not actually the problem with the Dsg gear boxes that has led to the recalls. The Dsg problems described were that the car would suddenly lose power and it led to a death in Australia. Plus I thought front assist only works at relatively low speeds. Am now quite worried as have ordered a Dsg and thought this problem would be sorted in the mk7...

This has nothing to do with the dsg gearbox which is brilliant. Look forward to your car. I have been driving my mk7 for 3 months now without any real issues with front assist. It was a shock when it first kicked in but it needed to :)

jp_cfc09

Ready to race!
no not the dsg box, its the sensor on the front that avoids you crashing. can be a bit sensitive at times just lol, it will stop a crash some day for me im sure. only time it really comes on for me is if I see someone turning and I know I dont need to slow down just move over slightly and ill be fine. if the car gets into the range of the sensor it assumes I dont see the car turning and will beep with a wee jult on the brakes with a pic on the dash to warn me. it doesnt know I see it and am going to be perfectly fine lol.

Rob2

Just to clarify, at speeds over 30 kph the front assist will not brake the car to a full stop. All it does is do a quick "stomp" on the pedal to warn you and then immediately releases. It will also pre-load the brake preassure so that the system is more responsive.

I've had it false alarm on me once, was scary, but the break the system did only lowered the speed from 100 kph to 80-90 kph. Unless a car behind you drives way too close you shouldn't be worried that it causes an accident.

RatCatcher

Front Assist worked at 70+ mph for me yesterday - some idiot in a Merc undertook me at high speed and squeezed into the space that the ACC had set between myself and the van in front. I flashed him and raised my hands in a 'what the hell are you about??' gesture. His reaction to this was to stand on the brakes! I actually felt the seatbelt pretension just before the front assist kicked in and braked the Golf slightly quicker than my foot. I don't think I would have actually hit him but it's reassuring to know the system works when needed.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Front Assist worked at 70+ mph for me yesterday - some idiot in a Merc undertook me at high speed and squeezed into the space that the ACC had set between myself and the van in front. I flashed him and raised my hands in a 'what the hell are you about??' gesture. His reaction to this was to stand on the brakes! I actually felt the seatbelt pretension just before the front assist kicked in and braked the Golf slightly quicker than my foot. I don't think I would have actually hit him but it's reassuring to know the system works when needed.

Nice to know Front Assist works.

Surely it's safer to keep your hand on the wheel than to raise them at 70mph+ :confused: