GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First oil change and got a crappy surprise...

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Eight VWs since 2015. 7 new and current one CPO. From three different area dealers. Not saying there aren’t screwups occasionally but I’ve had zero problems on any of mine. And I‘m meticulous. I realize forums are in many cases for complaints.

8 VWs since 2015...why?

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
8 VWs since 2015...why?
Same could be said with our 4 from 2014-2020, people look at me funny when I say we’ve had 4 since 2015 model year. But yeah 8 is certainly a lot and I didn’t realize Dequardo had had that many.

We had my wife’s 2015 Golf SE bought November 2014, I got a 2016 Golf October 2015, then the GTI Sport came for 2017 and I traded the Golf in October 2016 on my GTI. Then we traded the Wife’s 2015 In on the 2019 Alltrack To get something a little bigger and AWD.

I feel for you. Many would have sworn off the brand with that history. Hope you get everything sorted

Believe me, after all of this, the chances of my ever buying another, especially with the current design direction, are slim to none.
Both cars we have are paid off and I have no idea what I’d even begin to look at if I was going to get rid of these, because I don’t care for much else on the market. I like Audi designs too, but I feel like that’s just lipstick on a pig at this point since much of the inner workings are the same.

not intending to insult but why didn't you check fluids/pressures on day 1 (or 2 if you picked it up at night)?

I agree with you and I have consistently looked at coolant because I f’n smell it on the Alltrack and have since almost new (this would be the 5th total thermostat housing to go in our MQB cars) but it doesn’t seem to be losing any... yet. Original wheels/tires came off the car at 50 miles to swap for the OZ Superturismo and Michelin AS3+ and I’ve consistently checked those pressures. Brake fluid I happened to look at as well and it was fine.

But oil, I couldn’t say why I never checked it consistently other than just being stupid and assuming someone did their job correctly, like the vast majority of owners. The one time I did check it, about 2 weeks before our weeklong thanksgiving road trip to the desert, it strangely looked okay but as I said earlier in this thread, I think these dipsticks can be deceiving sometimes. I’ve seen more than one post about inability to read it well.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
PDIs come with tires over inflated on purpose and oil is usually .5 quart low. Everything else is up to the tech to check over.
you may be right....tires inflated to 40-50 psi cause they will loose psi over time and dangers of high are way less than low. the 1/2 qt less cause cost savings and still within tolerance.

edit: swapped low/high cause oops.

Mud

Last edited:

gdub09

Ready to race!
Huh? Do you know what PDI stands for?
lol yes. why? Probably because I'm a technician at VW. You think cars come perfect from the factory? lol

you may be right....tires inflated to 40-50 psi cause they will loose psi over time and dangers of low are way less than high. the 1/2 qt less cause cost savings and still within tolerance.
^^^This is exactly correct. If the car ends up having to sit at port for who knows whatever reason, and its easier to lose 20psi from a tire inflated to 45, 50psi than a tire at spec at 32psi. Then you're out 4 tires. Tires are more expensive than air. Also yes, if you're putting 6 quarts of oil in thousands of cars, dropping .5 of a quart off is gonna save you some money and still be within spec. And then the dealer ends up covering that cost of the missing .5 quart.

cb1111

lol yes. why? Probably because I'm a technician at VW. You think cars come perfect from the factory? lol

You may be part of the problem then as you seem to think that PDI is a thing - like a spark plug or a tire. You said "PDIs come with tires over inflated on purpose and oil is usually .5 quart low. Everything else is up to the tech to check over."

Cars come from the factory with tires over-inflated.....and the PDI is a process to bring everything on the car into spec.

^^^This is exactly correct. If the car ends up having to sit at port for who knows whatever reason, and its easier to lose 20psi from a tire inflated to 45, 50psi than a tire at spec at 32psi. Then you're out 4 tires. Tires are more expensive than air. Also yes, if you're putting 6 quarts of oil in thousands of cars, dropping .5 of a quart off is gonna save you some money and still be within spec. And then the dealer ends up covering that cost of the missing .5 quart.
See my comments in bold above.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Lighten up, grammar policeman.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Was the oil checked with the engine hot or cold? If it sits too long it seems the oil can drain from the filter. I don't know if there's a check valve that's supposed to prevent it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Was the oil checked with the engine hot or cold? If it sits too long it seems the oil can drain from the filter. I don't know if there's a check valve that's supposed to prevent it.
The oil filter doesn't have much oil in it.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
If you don’t know if there’s a check valve how can you say it ‘seems the oil can drain from the filter?’
Hint. There’s a check valve.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If you don’t know if there’s a check valve how can you say it ‘seems the oil can drain from the filter?’
Hint. There’s a check valve.

That's what I figured the rod was for, but it seems it doesn't seal 100% after the car sits for a week. Can you figure out why I say that?

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
That's what I figured the rod was for, but it seems it doesn't seal 100% after the car sits for a week. Can you figure out why I say that?

If it is draining back after a week of sitting then most likely the o-rings on the end of the rod are not sealing.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It's really irrelevant anyway. With the filter in the housing it only holds about 6 ounces of oil.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
For anyone following along, Blackstone says I’m good based on what they can see. We’ll see what the second change holds but fingers crossed things go well.

2976AC03-4615-4132-83B4-0E04BCFDFBA3.jpeg