GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ET35 Fitment

njavier03

Ready to race!
i'm not too knowledgeable about wheels/tires/offset/etc. so i need some help! i have a set of wheels on order that are 18 x 8 ET35 with 225/40 tires. i'm thinking that those should sit pretty flush for the front with no rubbing, but i'm curious about the rear. i think in the rear i would need maybe a 5mm spacer, if i'm not mistaken. is anyone else running the same size wheels/tires or can advise of fitment? TIA

GTISEVEN

Passed Driver's Ed
Offset 35

i'm not too knowledgeable about wheels/tires/offset/etc. so i need some help! i have a set of wheels on order that are 18 x 8 ET35 with 225/40 tires. i'm thinking that those should sit pretty flush for the front with no rubbing, but i'm curious about the rear. i think in the rear i would need maybe a 5mm spacer, if i'm not mistaken. is anyone else running the same size wheels/tires or can advise of fitment? TIA

Absolutely no issues...you can even go upto 8-10mm on rear...I'm running 5 mm rears with absolutely zero rubbing ...I've 225/40/18 Michelin PSS on the Sparco Asseto Gara rims.Im also lowered on Eibach pro kit springs .No issues at all

I cannot agree. I don't think you help him playing down the issue.

With ET35 there is some serious risk it'll rub particularly on front.
Admitted, not every day, but it inevitably will rub under certain
circumstances. I think it's fair to talk about this before someone
spends money on the wrong wheels.
ET45 is still what is recommended most - just for good reason.
Bear in mind "flush" means "rubbing". You can't have it flush with-
out rubbing. For obvious reasons vendors of spacers prefer to
conceal that.

Unfortunately the opener prefered to order wheels first, then ask
the forum.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

conceal that.

the forum.

ET45 is recommended for an 8.5" wheel. This is an 8" wheel, 12.7mm difference. It would sit in further than a 18x8.5 ET45. It's fine.

redlined0517

Passed Driver's Ed
I know breaking badly will disagree with me on this one becuase it was being discussed in another thread and he told me "drive harder and it will rub" but... I am running this exact set-up 18x8 et35 with PSS 235-40 tires stock ride height. It does not rub. I personally know another forum member that runs this and has a few track days and he does not get rub. It sits damn close to flush but I have not had a single incident in 4k miles will all kinds of different driving conditions.

If you would like I will get a much better picture later but I have this for now. Hope it helps OP.

[/URL][/IMG]

Right, and exactly this makes offset more important. It's 1:1 affecting
"flushness" and fender clearance. Hope you get the difference. ;)

I know breaking badly will disagree with me on this one becuase it was being discussed in another thread and he told me "drive harder and it will rub" but... I am running this exact set-up 18x8 et35 with PSS 235-40 tires stock ride height. It does not rub. I personally know another forum member that runs this and has a few track days and he does not get rub. It sits damn close to flush but I have not had a single incident in 4k miles will all kinds of different driving conditions.
That does prove that under your personal conditions it didn't rub yet,
which I never doubted. It doesn't prove it couldn't rub under all condi-
tions.
Interestingly I know (not believe) people suffering from rubbing even
with 235s + ET45 under certain conditions. Obviously it'll do that with
ET35 and 235s even more.
So what do you think is the best recommendation someone could give
on a public forum? Don't get me wrong dude, I'm just trying to give the
most honest and technically correct answers. Anyone here should just
get happy with the setup he personally prefers, but giving advice is a
different story that what someone likes most.
Did you know that your wheels move laterally when cornering fast due
to the soft suspension bushes? No offense, I just wanna say that since
I know most people think the wheels just move up and down. They don't.

;)

njavier03

Ready to race!
i appreciate all the input. currently i'm at stock height if that helps. this is a daily driver for me which consists of mainly driving in traffic, some fun on the freeway, and occasional spirited driving. i never, if ever come across hard turns. i do think that having a 225 tire and 8 wide wheel shouldnt cause much of a problem, if any. worst case scenario is maybe some fender rolling, right? i dont think the wheel/tire would have any rubbing issues with the strut.

GTISEVEN

Passed Driver's Ed

conceal that.

the forum.

Sir ....with due respect to you...I'm not trying to misguide the OP here.Im running the set up on my car and I do some "hard driving" with it.Its an 8 inch wide wheel not 8.5.Also the tire is the stock size 225/40/18.The stock Austin rims are 7.5 inch wide.Maybe this half inch wider rim stretches 225 tire a bit and it helps in the clearance .Now I'm talking of Sparco wheels with Michelin PSS tires.I've taken the car on severe dips and it it doesn't rub at all.Sparco rims come in two ETs...35 and 48.I had the same concern before buying them and it was very hard for me to decide till one of the senior members on this forum strongly recommended me to go with 35 ET and I'm very happy and thankful to him.Now the width and aspect ratios can vary between different manufacturers.I hope this helps the OP

GTISEVEN

Passed Driver's Ed
i appreciate all the input. currently i'm at stock height if that helps. this is a daily driver for me which consists of mainly driving in traffic, some fun on the freeway, and occasional spirited driving. i never, if ever come across hard turns. i do think that having a 225 tire and 8 wide wheel shouldnt cause much of a problem, if any. worst case scenario is maybe some fender rolling, right? i dont think the wheel/tire would have any rubbing issues with the strut.

Absolutely no problem if you are not lowered...and I forgot to mention that I've also done the fender screw mode which is a 5 min job and is totally reversible .

redlined0517

Passed Driver's Ed
Right, and exactly this makes offset more important. It's 1:1 affecting
"flushness" and fender clearance. Hope you get the difference. ;)

That does prove that under your personal conditions it didn't rub yet,
which I never doubted. It doesn't prove it couldn't rub under all condi-
tions.
Interestingly I know (not believe) people suffering from rubbing even
with 235s + ET45 under certain conditions. Obviously it'll do that with
ET35 and 235s even more.
So what do you think is the best recommendation someone could give
on a public forum? Don't get me wrong dude, I'm just trying to give the
most honest and technically correct answers. Anyone here should just
get happy with the setup he personally prefers, but giving advice is a
different story that what someone likes most.
Did you know that your wheels move laterally when cornering fast due
to the soft suspension bushes? No offense, I just wanna say that since
I know most people think the wheels just move up and down. They don't.

;)

I will be perfectly honest since I am no suspension guru, I know Breaking Badly has a lot of knowledge on this subject and I do not. I would like to learn as much about this as possible. So I hope my comment didn't sound like I was trying to start a fire. I just wanted to tell the OP my experience so far with that set-up.

That said, Breaking Badly can you shed a little more light on this for us. From my understanding the fender screw mod should cure most of the potential rub right? Is it only the front end thats the real issue? and will going lower require more than just the fender screw mod?

I just wanna say, I have had a really nice list of cars and I have been modding them for a long time. The VW world is still pretty new to me but I love the community and support/feedback on these forums. This is the best and most mature and knowledgeable group of enthusiast I have found. Cheers!