GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Driver Gear Springs (VW Zubehör by Mubea)

anjoVW

Ready to race!
Ride is no different from stock. Pics were taken right after install two weeks ago and now the car sits very level.

Is it a 2 finger gap about? And I guess in your opinion in person does the car sit decently low and look good? I know that the pics are there, but in person usually is different than pictures show. personally been looking into these springs since its dealer certified, and want to get out of the suv look my golf has lol

Boomer719

Passed Driver's Ed
And which part number did you use? Good to know that they settled in well.

I used the "E" part number. Got them for $208.50 from my local dealer through vw parts.com. They had to price match another dealer from across town. $650.00 installed with an alignment which wasn't necessary.

Boomer - can you please take new pictures on level ground, from slightly further away? Thank you for posting the specific fender to ground drop measurement - this is very helpful!

I will, but it will be after the weekend.....

Is it a 2 finger gap about? And I guess in your opinion in person does the car sit decently low and look good? I know that the pics are there, but in person usually is different than pictures show. personally been looking into these springs since its dealer certified, and want to get out of the suv look my golf has lol

Right about two fingers. The Neuspeeds do come closer to the wheel well than stock so I am pretty sure with spacers, which I am not convinced I will do, it will look pretty good.

anjoVW

Ready to race!
I used the "E" part number. Got them for $208.50 from my local dealer through vw parts.com. They had to price match another dealer from across town. $650.00 installed with an alignment which wasn't necessary.

Right about two fingers. The Neuspeeds do come closer to the wheel well than stock so I am pretty sure with spacers, which I am not convinced I will do, it will look pretty good.

Sweet sounds like something I'll look into. Did you have the dealer install or yourself, and what price? The other thing I'm debating on since I'll be getting it from them, and if something goes wrong on my end installing it I'll be liable vs if they install them.

LeGti

Ready to race!
I'll get more specific when I won't be writing from a smartphone, but here is some info that may be useful.

There are six sets of DG springs that are listed on the German Zubehör (DG) website. Three for the four door and three for the two door:

https://shops.volkswagen.com/de_DE/web/zubehoer/sport-und-design/exterieur/tieferlegung

These are all listed as Golf 7, and not specific to Gti or R. On Zubehör's website linked above, none of these springs are listed in the Gti or R's specific sections. Rather, they are listed under "Golf".

All of the spring sets are categorized per admissible axle load. All advertise a 25-30mm drop (from standard Golf height). All are labeled DCC compatible.

Five of the six sets share the same rear springs rated 890Kg. The sixth is rated at 950Kg with the following addendum: "NUR FUR MARKT NA" (not for north American Market?).

For the fronts, there are three load ratings: 930, 1010 and 1050Kg.

Here's how the coding works out:

4dr fr 930 rr 890: 5G4 071 677 C

4dr fr 1010 rr 890: 5G4 071 677 D

4dr fr 1050 rr 950: 5G4 071 677 E NUR FUR MARKT NA

2dr fr 1050 rr 890: 5G3 071 677 E

2dr fr 930 rr 890: 5G3 071 677 C

2dr rr 1010 rr 890: 5G3 071 677 D

I went to my dealership, parts manager took my Vin, entered it into ETKA and found my car's axle weights. Not permissible load, but weights. He then went to the Zubehör's site and found the set with the closest numbers. Problem was, Zubehör lists per admissible load, not weight.

Stupidly, I did not check, so the 5G4 407 677 C set (930/890) was fitted to my car. Result is not good at all: very positive rake (2 finger gap in front, 3 rear), and the front springs simply do not suit my 4dr PP MT6 car. Bumpstops are sollicited way too much, front end feels vague.

Rear feels great, although I do notice the rake dynamically (I am very sensitive to cars' setups but I'm sure most would notice too).

Question now is: should I go with front springs in 1010 or 1050? Per my car's handbook, front from stock requires 1020/880...

I'm afraid the 1050 fronts would be too stiff/ride high. And I also think the fluke 950 rears would also be too stiff/ride high.

So unless I find more info, I'll go with the 5G4 071 677 D set (1010/890).

In any case, from my experience, the 930 fronts 5G4 071 677 C are too soft (rears at 890 being just like OEM, with a 10mm drop).

I'll post pics & info as I get deeper into this.

Hope this helps,
Ben

LeGti

Ready to race!
Boomer, could you please take a front and rear measurement? Top of fender to wheel centerline would be most helpful.

I'll measure mine as well for comparison and future reference.

Also, I'll email VW Zubehör and ask for the spring rates.

Thanks in advance Boomer!!
Ben.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Five of the six sets share the same rear springs rated 890Kg. The sixth is rated at 950Kg with the following addendum: "NUR FUR MARKT NA" (not for north American Market?).

German translation = Only for North American market. (Assuming NA mean se North American)

LeGti

Ready to race!
Yeah, that's what I thought... The plot thickens.

The suffix C springs on my 4 dr PP MT6 Gti yield the following (approximative) top of fender to wheel centerline measurements,

Front: 330mm
Rear: 360mm

Again, my manual states my Gti offers the following admissible axle loads,

Front: 1020 Kg
Rear: 880 Kg

The DG suffix C rear springs that are in my car are rated to 890. A very close match on paper (and feel identical) to my OEMs, with a 10mm drop.

So maybe the D spring set (1010/890) will be the one closest to OEM, with a 10mm drop all around.

In any case, I'll report what I find.

LeGti

Ready to race!
Going back to the dealer tomorrow to have the front springs changed.

In hopes of alleviating the excessive rake and weak front spring strength of the suffix C set, the mechanics will be installing the front suffix D springs.

Recap:

Per my owner's manual and per chassis sticker, my 4dr MT6 PP Gti has admissible loads of front: 1030 Kg and rear: 880 Kg.

By mistake, a suffix C set was ordered and installed, which is rated Fr 930 (-100) and Rr 890 (+10). Excessive rake and noticeably weak front spring rate (hitting front bumpstops too frequently) ensued.

Rear 890 springs felt fine and offered the -10mm drop from stock Gti I was looking for.

C and D sets share rear 890 Kgrated springs, sowill leave those in. Front D springs, rated at 1010, will hopefully be strong enough.

The suffix E spring set, imho, are too far out of spec, so I hope the Ds will work for me. For some reason, the E sets are the ones sold by North American vendors... Not sure why, but they seem to give negative rake which I would like to avoid.

I'll update this thread with D spring results, tomorrow or tuesday. In the meantime here are a few pics of my car with C springs installed (sorry for the poor quality pics, but they do show the excessive rake):

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Ok, now I'm intrigued: you have the 5G4 071 677 E springs on your car... Those are rated at 1050Kg front and 950Kg rear. That's way over spec, especially for the rear.

On the German Zubehör website, the 5G4...E is listed as not for US market... Could it be the Wagon's DG setup?

Regardless, how hard is the ride? Did it change noticeably from the stock setup?

Thanks in advance,
Ben.

PS, on the Zubehör box the springs come in, they state "progressive spring". To me they look linear...???

Ride is great on my 1.8 TSI, not harsh at all. They are linear springs with "progressive characteristics" it says as you can see in your new pic. Marketing hype lol.

Alignments are necessary. Mine was out of spec after the install.

Going back to the dealer tomorrow to have the front springs changed.

In hopes of alleviating the excessive rake and weak front spring strength of the suffix C set, the mechanics will be installing the front suffix D springs.

Recap:

Per my owner's manual and per chassis sticker, my 4dr MT6 PP Gti has admissible loads of front: 1030 Kg and rear: 880 Kg.

By mistake, a suffix C set was ordered and installed, which is rated Fr 930 (-100) and Rr 890 (+10). Excessive rake and noticeably weak front spring rate (hitting front bumpstops too frequently) ensued.

Rear 890 springs felt fine and offered the -10mm drop from stock Gti I was looking for.

C and D sets share rear 890 Kgrated springs, sowill leave those in. Front D springs, rated at 1010, will hopefully be strong enough.

The suffix E spring set, imho, are too far out of spec, so I hope the Ds will work for me. For some reason, the E sets are the ones sold by North American vendors... Not sure why, but they seem to give negative rake which I would like to avoid.

I'll update this thread with D spring results, tomorrow or tuesday. In the meantime here are a few pics of my car with C springs installed (sorry for the poor quality pics, but they do show the excessive rake):

Looks good. I think you will like the E model., should sit about the same. I don't have negative rake on mine.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion

Where in the owner's manual are you seeing the loads? Also, where is this chassis sticker? I looked for both this evening and could not find it.

Lastly, thanks for going through with all of this and documenting it so well.

LeGti

Ready to race!
Thanks! Seeing how much I've learnt from this forum, it's only fitting to try to give back.

I'll take pics of the manual and driver's side door jamb sticker. My manual covers all Golfs and has a listing of all admissible axle loads. For a 4dr Mt6 PP Gti, it lists:

Fr. 1020 - 1030

Rr. 880

Door-jamb sticker, required by law in some countries, is vehicle-specific. Mine reads:

Fr. 1030

Rr. 880

Perhaps the suffix E springs, with their much higher rating, are the hot ticket. With DCC, and really liking the OEM suspension tuning, I'm not keen on using them.

Regardless, will post the D spring results. "Fingers crossed..."

LeGti

Ready to race!
Started the suspension work today:

S3 aluminum front subframe, SuperPro front control arms / rear bushing kit / arbs...
It's a lot of work, hoping to be finished wednesday.

Excited to say the least: the SuperPro parts are very nicely made, and the bushings feel firm in a plush way. Arbs are 24mm front, 22 rear, with two positions.

Will measure my PP arbs to compare to std.

Wish me luck!!

greatoz

Ready to race!
watching your progress with the S3 subframe VERY closely mon ami - please take pictures!!! thanks in advance,

tGo

LeGti

Ready to race!
Well, I took the plunge and bought the non-refundable aluminum subframe after comparing all the bolt and bushing (dogbone) part numbers. They are the same for the pressed steel and aluminum subframes. The stock A-arms and SuperPro Supalloy A-arms fit identically. First round of measuring shows identical dimensions of critical points.

Tomorrow we'll hopefully be doing the final assembly and I'll report our findings.

The European importer sent a journalist / pro photographer, and he spent the day with us: we should have some nice pics of shiny new parts!

Yeah, feel like a kid on Christmas Eve :)

La suite demain les amis!!