GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipes!

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
Unless the search function has failed me I don't think that we have a comprehensive thread yet to discuss the various brands of downpipes!

Unfortunately we no longer have the beloved Plac in the community to review ad nauseum every dp known to man for the GTI. Mk6 guys will remember him!

So for this thread you stage 2 guys please share what type of dp you have, how was fitment, how is the sound, overall quality for the price, etc.

Thanks!

bigdaddyvoodoo

Ready to race!
I have CTS Non Catted DP. Fitment was perfect however, after about 2k miles it started rattling. I only needed to torque down the screws on the exhaust hanger and all was well again. I paid $427. For that price I'd have to say 10/10. No regrets.

Sound is amazing. I paired it with AWE Track cat back and it's a beautiful thing. Civil under normal driving and ballsy at WOT.

Here's a video of me driving with in car sounds. I'll try to post some outside clips soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsZwg-uLQdQ&feature=youtu.be

1fastredsc

Ready to race!
I haven't taken the dive yet, but I can give you my impressions based on researching the various options and comparing based on price.

Catted downpipe without CEL:
Bull-X downpipe. Uses the same catalytic converter as the AWE downpipe (HJS), in the same position (just behind the turbo), but for 400 dollars less. The only advantage to the AWE is the fact that it comes with the no CEL guarantee, but they only warrantee the cat for a year. So is a 1 year warrantee worth 400 dollars? Not to me.

Catted downpipe with high end cat but possible CEL:
APR. Due to the position of the cat further down the pipe, i'm not sure if that will cause CELs since the cat will take longer to become effective. Although a o2 spacer may remedy that issue.

Catted downpipe with any cat:
B&B

Catless:
At this point it comes down to cheapest price with decent fitment as it's just a pipe. Those with experience will need to chime in.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I have the CTS catted and LOVE IT!

Great gurgle during cold starts and a nice "wauhhhh" sound for the rest of the drives :) Deactivate Soundaktor for best results.

Last edited:

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
Thanks guys! Thanks for the info.

Bigdaddy that clip sounds great!

More than anything I guess I'm concerned about fitment/quality. I went super cheap initially with my Mk6 and had a Raceland catted dp. It had to be pounded and prodded to line up correctly. Then I had an Ultimate Racing that fit quite well but maybe not perfectly. CTS seems to get fitment points on the Mk7. I will have to check out Bull-X, never heard of them.

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
Another question...what would you pay a tuner shop to install a dp?

Pete.A

Anyone used or have opinions about Eurocode catted or catless downpipes?

I have a Eurocode catted DP on my car w/ APR S2... absolutely love it, the sound w/ stock cat back totally mellow when driving normally, and emits a nice growl during hard acceleration.

that being said, I have no experience with any other brand, so YMMV.