GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

backcountry

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
Hello,

I've spent quite sometime reading on this forum , and decided to jump in and upgrade my MIB1 2015 Sportwagen to MIB2 ( 2GM035876B + 5G6919605D). I see there was a Jack located in Poland that people used to remove CP and code the FECs for their new modules, but that was in 2018. Is Jack still doing this? How can I get in contact with him? or do you recommend other contacts for this remote process?

Thank you, so glad and thankful for all the passionate members on that forum who spend time and efforts to help us out there!

Pat
You can code it yourself for free. Check out the other DIY conversion thread for the details.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@backcountry: are you talking about the Congo/Duke/MID Toolbox? that route would just make teh system ignore CP, not remove it if I remember correctly.
If we're being pedantic component protection is never removed, haha. It's either adapted (the VAG process) or ignored Congo/Duke method. In a sense it component protection is always active.

The VAG process way only makes a difference if you care about (not) having faults show in scan.

afondafondafond

Car(s)
MK7 Sportwagen 2015
Does anybody know if this Delphi receiver 2GM035876B can be patched. Looks similar to 3Q0035876B, but first time I'm seeing that model number. 2020 model in US

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
For what it's worth I was able to get my basic MIB1 --> MIB2 conversion finally fully completed after Component Protection caused a headache for a while. If it helps anyone the process I used;

3Q0035878B Delphi MIB2 mst2 non-nav from an junked Atlas donor $123 from car-part dot com
5NG919606 8" matte screen OEM China ebay with new GTI Carbon bezel, eBay combo $190 shipped Sold by: agkaiaoautopate
5G0035222E USB Media aux socket and cable $60 Sold by: hanchigodauto

Installed everything, already had radio keys to remove radio from Helix sub install before. It was easier than I thought; shaving tabs on cable going into screen of course. Running the new cable wasn't bad, dropped the glove-box and let the the cable hang from there and snaked it to behind radio. Then other end snaked it up and behind screen in center console, guided it down to behind the storage cubby. Everything turned on great and started up.

For software and programming I ran the latest congo duke patch+activator from mibsolution / mega via SD card. That took care of automatically adding all supported FECs and was "supposed to" do the Component Protection check skip. But my specific firmware MST2_US_VW_P0883D isn't supported for that part so CP stayed on and no radio for over a couple of months....
Found a local VW shop with ODIS and paid them some labor cost to run the legit Component Protection actvation.
Via OBDEleven Pro I backed up the module, then did some long coding to activate developer mode, allow USB carplay, and change to GTI skin in MIB2 so the radio doesn't think I'm driving an Atlas anymore. All works!

Only thing now is that I notice the sound off, like maybe the Helix sub amp dsp isn't there anymore and bass is way boomy, sound is louder but also off much off balance than it was before, is there some long-coding or adaptation to change via OBDelevel for external amp or something anyone might know of or that makes it work better with Helix sub? It was plug and play with MIB1, apart from the helix DSP dongle change.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@tripleS Did you load a Golf dataset to your unit? If not the tuning of the internal amp is not correct for your car, which is why the sound is off.

I know you have the Helix but keep in mind it is making corrections on an expected input, which is why the Helix has to get programmed to match the car as well. Programming of the Helix accounts for it's input AND output.

Without a Golf dataset the input to the Helix is wrong, thus the weird output.

Into the weeds about MIB datasets (not my work or affiliation in any way, just good stuff out there)... https://mqb-blog.com/en/2023/04/17/sound-settings-editor/

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
@tripleS Did you load a Golf dataset to your unit? If not the tuning of the internal amp is not correct for your car, which is why the sound is off.

I know you have the Helix but keep in mind it is making corrections on an expected input, which is why the Helix has to get programmed to match the car as well. Programming of the Helix accounts for it's input AND output.

Without a Golf dataset the input to the Helix is wrong, thus the weird output.

Into the weeds about MIB datasets (not my work or affiliation in any way, just good stuff out there)... https://mqb-blog.com/en/2023/04/17/sound-settings-editor/
This is exactly it, thanks... going to do some research to find the right Golf 4door dataset. If I plug in my MIB1 and scan/save, do you know if would that be a starting point?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
This is exactly it, thanks... going to do some research to find the right Golf 4door dataset. If I plug in my MIB1 and scan/save, do you know if would that be a starting point?
The data set isn't part of anything a scan will include. If you find it, it will be in XML format and you'll need to use ODIS (offline) to load it.

It can be loaded independently of main software so it shouldn't impact anything else you've already done.

Latron

Master of oil top off
Car(s)
2015 GTI DSG
Hello everyone, finally started my MIB1 to MIB2 conversion. I got everything in and the radio starts up then after about 15 seconds reboots. It keeps doing this. Im pretty sure I got a bad brain but not sure. Is there anything I can do to confirm this? Its a 3Q0035844 brain. Software train MST2_US_VW_P0216D. I have tried disconnecting the blue satellite cable as I have seen this could cause issues with reboots but it didn't change anything.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Hello everyone, finally started my MIB1 to MIB2 conversion. I got everything in and the radio starts up then after about 15 seconds reboots. It keeps doing this. Im pretty sure I got a bad brain but not sure. Is there anything I can do to confirm this? Its a 3Q0035844 brain. Software train MST2_US_VW_P0216D. I have tried disconnecting the blue satellite cable as I have seen this could cause issues with reboots but it didn't change anything.
Is it rebooting after making it past the boot screen (with the VW logo)? In other words, does it ever make it to the actual user interface?

Latron

Master of oil top off
Car(s)
2015 GTI DSG
Yes, it makes it to the user interface. It of course has the Component Protection message, but I can operate it like normal for about 15 seconds. Then black screen and restart.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Yes, it makes it to the user interface. It of course has the Component Protection message, but I can operate it like normal for about 15 seconds. Then black screen and restart.
If it's abruptly restarting like that, it's possible that the unit has a hardware issue or it has firmware problems from someone previously trying something with it. If there is a return policy, it might be easier to return the unit and get a different one. Otherwise, you would probably have to open the unit to try to do some advanced troubleshooting.

Latron

Master of oil top off
Car(s)
2015 GTI DSG
If it's abruptly restarting like that, it's possible that the unit has a hardware issue or it has firmware problems from someone previously trying something with it. If there is a return policy, it might be easier to return the unit and get a different one. Otherwise, you would probably have to open the unit to try to do some advanced troubleshooting.
That's what I figured. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Thanks!

simrwil

Car(s)
01 & 15 Golf TDI
This is a do it yourself of a retrofit of MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment system.

Warning: This is my experience and is for informational purposes. You are fully responsible for your own project, neither myself nor this website is responsible for what you do.

UPDATE: This post abbreviates the information provided for the DIY: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...conversion-part-1.343701/page-87#post-7671706

IMPORTANT UPDATE: If you purchase the right manufacutue of headunit you can get around component protection and enable all the needed FECs with an SD card and software. I will try to find link for this process somewhere in this thread when I find the time and update.

This is to supplement the excellent article on vortex here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...t-with-CARPLAY Huge thanks paul_elstak at vortex for doing the groundwork on this. This article pertains to a unit that is modified by a secondary manufacture so is not stock.

The article by Shapeshifter is a must read. It applies to modified unit (or hacked in authors words) and non-modified unit’s differences and what needs to be done to get them working. http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30577

My first decision was “hacked” or “non-hacked”. I am performing the conversion to a 2015 SE, so I have the Fender system with the MIB1 amplifier under the seat. Since cost was a primary driver and I was unable to get MIB2 Infotainment headunit to work with MIB1 Amplifier, (statement is no longer applicable, MIB1 amp can work with MIB2 headunit see below) I reached out to companies that modify head units, requesting if I could send my MIB2 unit for conversion and tweak to work with MIB1 amp as a vendor stated they could do this in the first article referenced. I received three responses, all saying they only supply Navigation units. So I needed to go the non-hacked method, bite the bullet and buy an MIB2 amplifier and the key to add Carplay.

Costs: If you have a non-Fender system you can go MIB2 with larger screen and faster unit for approximately $400 plus cost for component protection (CP) removal. If you want App-Connect for CarPlay or Android then add $240 so you are at $640 plus CP removal. If you have the Fender System add another $380 for amplifier. I shopped it and with the Fender system my total parts cost was $870. However, still significantly cheaper than a hacked unit which is approximately $1,450 for head unit alone. NOTE: This information has been updated as you can use your MIB1 Fender amplifer with MIB2 head unit see below.

Parts:

Infotainment Unit: Replaced MIB1 5G0035844 with MIB2 3Q0035844. These units are readily available from salvage yards and eBay for around $130, I paid $83 shipped.

Display Screen: Replaced 5.8” 400X240 pixel 5G0919605H display with 6.5” 800X480 pixel 3G0919605H or 3G0919605 display. With different resolution must have MIB2 head unit. 6.5” is big enough for me and allows reuse of existing fascia piece. My only navigation will be Apple Maps through Carplay. They run around $200 and seem to be a tad cheaper from a salvage yard vice eBay. I purchased a clean 6.5” screen for just under $160.

Note: The NAR 3G0919605H layout is different the ROW 3G0919605 and in my opinion the European screen’s layout is cleaner. The European does not have the “Voice” button, but has a “Mute” button in its place. Voice is replaced with separate “Setup” button so you don’t have to go through sub menus. Band button is labeled Radio. I have used the voice button a handful of times in my over 2.5 years of ownership and found its use an exercise in frustration. The voice function is still available on steering wheel.

USB/Aux Connector and Harness: Replaced media input with USB/Aux so I could use Appleplay. I purchased 5G0035222E with harness off of Aliexpress for $65 shipped. It is now $80. https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKRkvN3 Harness was considerably longer than required, but there is plenty of space to roll up excess behind cubby that holds USB/Aux inputs and it worked fine. I checked out using harness with MIB1 unit and changed bit 19 of headunit for use with USB, but no joy. If you need the USB outlet you will have to have MIB2 headunit.

MIB2 Amplifier: No longer required see update below. Replaced MIB1 Amplifier 5G0035456 with MIB2 Amplifier 5Q0035456. $315 shipped. Note the database most salvage yards use lists 5G0035456 for amplifier. If the car is a 2016 it should be a 5Q0035456, but you may want to ask and verify.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Per this thread a MIB1 amplifier can be made to work with a MIB2 head unit. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=806606&postcount=593 . MIB2.5 units and MIB2 3G0 035 047 units are not working with MIB1 amps. See here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...conversion-part-1.343701/page-88#post-7679873

VW Car Connect Activation Code: $240 shipped. http://www.allcarpartsfast.co.uk/vw-...830a-document/ Do not buy the VW Car Connection Activation Code see the update below.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: This post is an update purchasing App-connect. It will make more sense after you read through the thread. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showp...&postcount=262 https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showp...&postcount=262

Stereo Removal Tools: The VW manual calls out for part number T10057 not PC5-93 called out in reference article. However, either one will work fine, and I found the PC5-93 was easier to work with. You only need one set of two. For the display there are four keeps, but you can do the two upper, release; and then two lower and remove.

Process overview:

Recommend saving coding and adaptations, then replace Media In connector with USB/Aux input and harness, replace display screen, and infotainment unit, then have Jack Kirry or simaservis1108 remove Component Protection, install App-Connect key (FeC) and re-install existing FeC's (Driver's mode, Voice command, etc).
Hi fellow Golf owners! I have MIB1 2015 Golf TDI which I'm in the process of converting to MIB2. Thanks to all who have contributed to this amazing DIY! I've ordered (eBay): 3Q003358844 (Delphi Infotainment unit), 3G0919605 (Display) and 5G0035222 (USB/Aux port with cable). The 3Q003358844 that I've ordered is out of a 2017 Atlas (written-off, the add shows pictures of the damaged Atlas). I do have VCDS. Any advice on steps to reconfigure it to my Golf? Is that something I can do using VCDS and/or my own programming instructions? Thanks!

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Hi fellow Golf owners! I have MIB1 2015 Golf TDI which I'm in the process of converting to MIB2. Thanks to all who have contributed to this amazing DIY! I've ordered (eBay): 3Q003358844 (Delphi Infotainment unit), 3G0919605 (Display) and 5G0035222 (USB/Aux port with cable). The 3Q003358844 that I've ordered is out of a 2017 Atlas (written-off, the add shows pictures of the damaged Atlas). I do have VCDS. Any advice on steps to reconfigure it to my Golf? Is that something I can do using VCDS and/or my own programming instructions? Thanks!
Although this is in the context of a Discover Pro MIB2 High (MIB2.5) retrofit, I wrote up some of the common coding changes which should still apply here. In most cases, you are just copying some adaptation and long coding values from your original MIB unit to the new one.