GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Discover Pro MIB2 High (MIB2.5) and 9.2” display retrofit guide

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Thought I would document my experience retrofitting the 9.2” display with a MIB2 High (referred to as a MIB2.5 or the MHI2 Harman unit) in the event that it helps others. I am doing this afterwards, so the guide is already showing a 9.2" display and Harman MIB2 High unit.

Not responsible for any mistakes or issues; follow at your own risk!

What do you get from this retrofit?
  • A larger touchscreen display for enhanced internal maps, Android Auto, and Apple CarPlay functionality.
  • An upgraded MIB main unit with internally stored navigation maps.
  • (For vehicles equipped with a digital instrument cluster) The ability to customize internal maps, such as using Audi maps, Porsche maps, or custom options, which can be persistently displayed in the instrument cluster during Android Auto/CarPlay active navigation (requires the navignore patch).
IMG_5292.jpg

Required parts and tools
  • For most cases, a Harman MIB2 High running a MHI2_{US, ER, etc.}_VWG13software train
    • G11 software is not compatible with the 9.2” display
  • A 9.2” display (5G6 919 606, 5G6 919 606 A, 5G6 919 606 D, etc.; if sourcing a used European manufactured display, be mindful that some older hardware revisions seem more likely to develop certain defects)
  • The 9.2” trim surround (check AliExpress; part number will vary depending on what car you are retrofitting the unit to)
  • Radio removal keys (official Audi part number is 8E0 051 530; there are alternatives but would not recommend going super cheap because you do not want the keys to break and get stuck)
  • Scan tool (OBDeleven, VCDS, VAS, etc.)
Depending on your car, you may require one or more of the following parts:
  • USB port and wiring harness
    • 5G0 035 222 E is the assembly for USB and AUX
    • 5Q0 035 726 J is the assembly for just USB
  • Amplifier (5Q0035456 and 5Q0035456A part numbers should be compatible; however, I have no experience with 5Q0035456 to directly confirm) – in most cases, if you have a MIB1 system with Fender or Dynaudio, expect to have to replace the amplifier under the driver’s seat in LHD cars and the front passenger’s seat in RHD cars. Component protection will need to be removed from the replacement amp if it is sourced used.
  • Extension cables if your car does not have the MIB main unit (5F infotainment module) in the glove box

Step-by-Step Retrofit Instructions

Step 1: Backup your existing MIB main unit (5F infotainment module) coding and adaptations

These are essential for coding the new unit to match your car's specific options.

Step 2: Disconnect your car’s battery

Disconnect your car's battery to prevent electrical damage or injury during the retrofit.

Step 3: Remove your existing MIB main unit from your car’s glove box

Open the glove box and locate the MIB main unit. There should be two slots (bottom left and bottom right). Insert a removal key into each slot following the guidelines for the key orientation (often denoted on the key itself). For the Audi keys, there are small, triangular indicators that need to face outwards. Push each removal key in until you hear a click.

After you have heard the click from both sides, the mechanisms that hold the main unit in place have been released. You can now place your fingers in the openings of the removal keys and gently pull the unit out. Be advised that your car’s wiring is still attached to the unit so you will not be able to pull the unit entirely out.

Step 4: Disconnect the wiring from the existing main unit

Your car’s existing wiring is still connected to the main unit. You will need to disconnect several connectors that have different release mechanisms.
  • The blue connector is GPS. It has a fairly straightforward release mechanism. Push and hold the end of the tab to unlock the connector and then slide the connector off.
    IMG_5302 copy.jpg
  • The brown connector is Sirius/XM (SDARS) on North American units and DAB on international units. It is the same mechanism as the GPS connector. Push and hold the end of the tab to unlock the connector and then slide the connector off.
    IMG_5299 copy.jpg
  • The white connector is AM/FM radio. It has a release tab on the bottom. Push and hold the end of the tab to unlock the connector and then slide the connector off. You may need to ‘rock’ the connector somewhat.
    IMG_5305 copy.jpg
  • The yellow connector is for USB (HSD). It has a push tab at the bottom. Push and hold the tab and gently pull the connector out. You may need to ‘rock’ the connector somewhat.
    IMG_5307 copy.jpg
  • The pink connector (LVDS) is for display output. Like the USB (HSD) connector, it has a push tab at the bottom. Push and hold the tab and gently pull the connector out. You may need to ‘rock’ the connector somewhat.
    IMG_5307 copy.jpg

• The large square connector is called the Quadlock. The Quadlock provides power and many other connections to the main unit. At the bottom of the Quadlock, there is a tab. Squeeze the tab between your index finger and thumb and then pull in an anti-clockwise direction to unlock the Quadlock. Once it is unlocked, you can slide the connector out.
    IMG_5308 copy.jpg
  • If your car is equipped with Fender or Dynaudio, you will have a MOST connection. The MOST connector has a tab on the side that you push in. Once it is pushed in, the connector is unlocked and you can gently pull the connector out from the unit.
    IMG_5311 copy.jpg

Step 5: Connect the wiring to the new main unit

Note: If you are installing a new USB wiring harness, you will likely want to skip this step and return to it after you have run the wiring.

This is the reverse of Step 4. The only difference is that you may now have a pink connector but no pink port on the new main unit. On MIB2 High units, the display output is the grey port. The grey port is keyed slightly differently so you will need to shave one of the plastic guiding pins of the pink connector from the car so that it can be inserted into the grey port.

Step 6: Reinstall and secure the main unit in the glove box

Note: If you are installing a new USB wiring harness, you will likely want to skip this step and return to it after you have run the wiring.

With everything connected, gently push the unit back into its mounting point in the glove box. You may need to apply a slight upward force under the unit so that it can slide in fully. If there is any type of obstruction that you feel, remove the unit and sort that out; do not force the unit in.

Step 7: Remove the trim from the HVAC (Climatronic) control panel and from around the existing display

In order to remove the existing display unit, remove the trim pieces from around the climate control panel and around the display. The trim piece around the display includes the air vents (though technically they do separate). You will want to use a trim removal tool (or tools) to carefully unclip the trim pieces. For the air vents, you will need to disconnect the hazard switch button assembly from the car’s wiring.

This was the worst part of the retrofit for me as it seems I am particularly bad with the interior trim pieces. My advice is to be patient and take your time. Also, be careful with the metal clips that can come out. You (1) don’t want to lose them and (2) don’t want to end up like me where they remained attached to the trim piece which then brushed against the existing display and caused damage to the bezel.

One of the videos I referenced:

Step 8: Remove the existing display unit

The existing display is locked in place by four (4) mechanisms. Insert a radio removal key into each of the four mechanisms until you hear a click each time.
IMG_5312.jpg

Once all of the four mechanisms has clicked, the display unit can be removed. Before you start the removal, take note that although the display unit is free from the locking mechanisms, it is not free from the car; there are two wires connected to it that will need to be disconnected. Grab the display unit and slowly pull it out.
  • Disconnect the display (LVDS) input cable. Push and hold the end of the tab to unlock the connector and then slide the connector off.
  • Disconnect the power and vehicle communication cable. The connector has a tab on the side that you push in and hold. Once it is pushed in, the connector is unlocked and you can gently pull the connector out.
    IMG_5314 copy.jpg

Step 9: Shave the display (LVDS) plastic positioning pin to fit the port on the new display unit

This is most likely required. Compare the port colour on the new display unit versus the cable you disconnected. If they match, you do not have to do anything. If they do not match, you have to shave one or more positioning pins so that the cable can be inserted into the port.

In my case, my car has a blue LVDS cable and the 9.2” display unit has a black port. Thus, I had to shave one of the positioning pins. Make sure that you shave the positioning pin off well. If you do not, it is likely going to be very difficult to remove and it might get stuck.

Step 10: Install the new display unit and reinstall the trim pieces

Note: If you have a digital instrument cluster and want maps in your cluster, you may wish to run the MOST cable to the instrument cluster before you install the new display unit.

Connect the display (LVDS) and power/vehicle communication cables into the new display unit. Once the cables are connected, position the display unit in the opening the original came out of and then gently push the unit in. You may need to press around on the display unit after it is seated to fully secure it (you will likely hear clicks as you do this).

With the display unit mounted, reassemble the trim pieces that were removed. Be sure the hazard switch button assembly is connected before you reconnect power or you will get a fault in the instrument cluster that will need to be cleared.

Step 11: Reconnect the battery, clear the many instrument cluster warning lights, make coding changes and enjoy

Reconnect the battery. Doing so will cause faults in the instrument cluster when the ignition button is pressed. You can clear the faults by starting the engine (may be possible in accessory mode, but can’t recall) and from the centre position: rotate the steering wheel all the way to the left and hold it for three (3) seconds, rotate the steering wheel all the way to the right for three seconds and hold it for three (3) seconds and return the wheel to the centre. You may need to repeat this process twice during the same attempt (e.g., centre → left → right → left → right → centre). If you still have lights after this procedure, going for a short drive will normally clear them; you could alternatively attempt to clear faults with the diagnostic scan tool.

Use the diagnostic scan tool to view the new MIB main unit’s coding and adaptions. Using the backup you took from the original MIB main unit, adjust any coding and adaptations to account for vehicle specific options and characteristics. Common coding changes are included in a different post.

Congratulations! You’ve completed the retrofit. Be sure to post some pictures.

Last edited:

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Is a MIB2 High unit compatible with my car?
*** This is general guidance but not a guarantee ***
For VW cars that came with a MIB2 unit in the glove box, the answer is most likely yes (but you will need the 9.2” display and trim as well). This should cover (cars without MIB3 systems that have trim pieces available for the 9.2” display):
  • MK7/Mk7.5 VW Golf
  • MK7/Mk7.5 VW Golf GTI
  • MK7/Mk7.5 VW Golf R
  • MK7/Mk7.5 VW Golf Sportwagen
  • MK7/Mk7.5 VW Golf Alltrack
  • VW Arteon* (Seems like the trim from the European B8 Passat can be used, but you’ll want to confirm)
  • MK2 VW Tiguan
If you have a Mk7.5 Golf [whatever variant], and you have a unit in your glove box, you should be all set to be able to retrofit this unit and a 9.2” display.
  • Note that if your car does not have GPS wiring, that would be a separate retrofit.
If you have a Mk7, you will need to check that you have a unit in your glove box and then determine if you have a MIB1 or MIB2 system. You can do this by holding the Menu button for about three seconds and then tapping the Software update/versions option and looking at the beginning of the SW train version. If the beginning of the software train version is not MST2 or MHI2, you do not have a MIB2 unit.
  • For MIB2 cars, you are all set to be able to retrofit this unit and a 9.2” display. Note that if your car does not have GPS wiring, that would be a separate retrofit. If you have Fender audio, amplifier 5Q00350456 and 5Q00350456A part numbers should be compatible (however, I have no experience with 5Q00350456 to directly confirm). Component protection will need to be removed from the replacement amp if it is sourced used.
  • For MIB1 cars, things are a bit more complicated. You would need a new USB port + harness (assuming you want Android Auto/CarPlay) and amplifier (if your car has Fender audio). If your car has Fender audio, I would personally recommend that you consider upgrading to the 8” glass display with the Discover Media system (MST2) as you can use your existing amplifier and save some money or consider the special Chinese unit option.
    • Note that if your car does not have GPS wiring, that would be a separate retrofit.
I do not have experience with the Arteon and Tiguan, but the general principles above apply.

You are likely going to have have to shave/file some of the plastic connectors on the wiring in your car to retrofit this main unit and the 9.2” display.

Do I lose anything retrofitting a MIB2 High unit (e.g., Sirius/XM) in a North American car?
So long as you use a North American Region (NAR) MIB2 High unit, you should not lose any functionality. Be careful as some sellers do not make clear what region the unit they are selling is for.

Do I have to worry about component protection?
It depends on what unit you are buying. Some sellers 'unlock' or 'patch' the units which allow you to install and use the unit as if component protection was removed; however, there are still component protection related faults visible with a scan tool. If the unit you purchase was not unlocked/patched, you can use a tool like Most Incredible Bash (MIB) to unlock/patch it (assuming your unit has a software train that is supported).

Last edited:

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Common Coding Changes
(I haven’t tested all of these, so your experience may vary. These are from using an OBDeleven. I recommend looking at your unit’s old coding to see if these are reasonable. Some of the adaptation channel names may be slightly different on older units if you are comparing.)

I don’t have a Mk7.5 Golf GTI
5F → Long Coding → Byte 1 Car Class → Change from 3 to whatever value your old MIB unit had for this
5F → Long Coding → Byte 1 Car Generation → Change from 7 to whatever value your old MIB unit had for this
5F → Long Coding → Byte 2 Car Derivate → Change from 0 to whatever value your old MIB unit had for this
5F → Long Coding → Byte 2 Car Derivate → Change from 0 to whatever value your old MIB unit had for this
5F → Long Coding → Byte 17 Skinning →Change from Skin 5 to whatever value your old MIB unit had for this
5F → Long Coding → Byte 18 Screenings →Change from 3 to whatever value your old MIB unit had for this:
  • 0 for no custom boot screen
  • 1 for Hybrid
  • 2 for GTD
  • 3 for GTI (it’s already set to this)
  • 4 for Bluemotion
  • 5 for eGolf
  • 6 for R-Line
  • 7 for Golf R
My car doesn’t have a reverse camera
5F → Long Coding → Byte 19 Rear View Low → Change from Activated to Not activated

My car doesn’t have Fender Audio
5F → Long Coding → Byte 11 Sound System → Change from Sound System external MOST to Sound System internal

My car doesn’t have adaptive cruise control (ACC)
5F → Adaptations → Car Function Adaptations Gen2 → Menu display ACC → Change from Activated to Not Activated
5F → Adaptations → Car Function Adaptations Gen2 → Menu display ACC over threshold high → Change from Activated to Not Activated
5F → Adaptations → Car Function List BAP Gen2 → ACC 0x05 → Change from Activated to Not Activated

My car doesn’t have parking sensors
5F → Adaptations → Car Function Adaptations Gen2 → Menu display pdc → Change from Activated to Not Activated
5F → Adaptations → Car Function Adaptations Gen2 → Menu display pdc over threshold high → Change from Activated to Not Activated
5F → Adaptations → Car Function List CAN Gen2 → PDC audio lowering → Change from Activated to Not Activated

My car doesn’t have lane keep assist
5F → Adaptations → Car Function Adaptations Gen2 → Menu display Lane Departure Warning → Change from Activated to Not Activated
5F → Adaptations → Car Function Adaptations Gen2 → Menu display Lane Departure Warning over threshold high → Change from Activated to Not Activated
5F → Adaptations → Car Function Adaptations Gen2 → Menu display lane assistant → Change from Activated to Not Activated
5F → Adaptations → Car Function Adaptations Gen2 → Menu display lane assistant over threshold high → Change from Activated to Not Activated
5F → Adaptations → Car Function List BAP Gen2 → LDW HCA 0x19 → Change from Activated to Not Activated
5F → Adaptations → Car Function List BAP Gen2 → SWA 0x1A → Change from Activated to Not Activated

My car doesn’t having parking assist
5F → Adaptations → Car Function List BAP Gen2 → Parking assist 0x0A → Change from Activated to Not Activated

My car didn’t have drive mode options
5F → Adaptations → Car Function Adaptations Gen2 → Menu display charisma → Change from Activated to Not Activated
5F → Adaptations → Car Function Adaptations Gen2 → Menu display charisma over threshold high → Change from Activated to Not Activated
5F → Adaptations → Car Function List BAP Gen2 → Charisma 0x17 → Change from Activated to Not Activated

My car has a front-facing camera
A5 → Long Coding → Navigation → Change from MIB Standard to MIB High

Last edited:

cowboykiller

Car(s)
2015 GTI MK7
Do you happen to know how to get my drive mode button working again? Since i did my retrofit to a MIB2 with 8" screen my DCC/Drive Mode button no longer works. I have tried everything people have suggested for OBDeleven changes. And still no luck. I noted all my settings from my MIB1 and theyre nearly identical to what it was beforehand.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Do you happen to know how to get my drive mode button working again? Since i did my retrofit to a MIB2 with 8" screen my DCC/Drive Mode button no longer works. I have tried everything people have suggested for OBDeleven changes. And still no luck. I noted all my settings from my MIB1 and theyre nearly identical to what it was beforehand.
If you have tried all of the coding change suggestions, my best guess would be that there is either an incompatibility with your gateway module's firmware and the MIB2 infotainment unit or the infotainment unit has some kind of dataset issue. You can check the gateway module's part number and firmware with an OBDeleven by selecting the module and then tapping Info. I would suggest taking a screenshot and posting it to the MIB1 to MIB2 thread as other users may be able to compare your gateway module's characteristics to theirs. If there is a firmware issue or a dataset issue, generally ODIS would be used.

cowboykiller

Car(s)
2015 GTI MK7
If you have tried all of the coding change suggestions, my best guess would be that there is either an incompatibility with your gateway module's firmware and the MIB2 infotainment unit or the infotainment unit has some kind of dataset issue. You can check the gateway module's part number and firmware with an OBDeleven by selecting the module and then tapping Info. I would suggest taking a screenshot and posting it to the MIB1 to MIB2 thread as other users may be able to compare your gateway module's characteristics to theirs. If there is a firmware issue or a dataset issue, generally ODIS would be used.
I appreciate that! I have the day off tomorrow and I will do just that. Thank you again for your suggestion.

simrwil

Car(s)
01 & 15 Golf TDI
Common Coding Changes
(I haven’t tested all of these, so your experience may vary. These are from using an OBDeleven. I recommend looking at your unit’s old coding to see if these are reasonable. Some of the adaptation channel names may be slightly different on older units if you are comparing.)

I don’t have a Mk7.5 Golf GTI
5F → Long Coding → Byte 1 Car Class → Change from 3 to whatever value your old MIB unit had for this
5F → Long Coding → Byte 1 Car Generation → Change from 7 to whatever value your old MIB unit had for this
5F → Long Coding → Byte 17 Skinning →Change from Skin 5 to whatever value your old MIB unit had for this
5F → Long Coding → Byte 18 Screenings →Change from 3 to whatever value your old MIB unit had for this:
  • 0 for no custom boot screen
  • 1 for Hybrid
  • 2 for GTD
  • 3 for GTI (it’s already set to this)
  • 4 for Bluemotion
  • 5 for eGolf
  • 6 for R-Line
  • 7 for Golf R
My car doesn’t have a reverse camera
5F → Long Coding → Byte 19 Rear View Low → Change from Activated to Not activated

My car doesn’t have Fender Audio
5F → Long Coding → Byte 11 Sound System → Change from Sound System external MOST to Sound System internal

My car doesn’t have adaptive cruise control (ACC)
5F → Adaptations → Car Function Adaptations Gen2 → Menu display ACC → Change from Activated to Not Activated
5F → Adaptations → Car Function Adaptations Gen2 → Menu display ACC over threshold high → Change from Activated to Not Activated
5F → Adaptations → Car Function List BAP Gen2 → ACC 0x05 → Change from Activated to Not Activated

My car doesn’t have parking sensors
5F → Adaptations → Car Function Adaptations Gen2 → Menu display pdc → Change from Activated to Not Activated
5F → Adaptations → Car Function Adaptations Gen2 → Menu display pdc over threshold high → Change from Activated to Not Activated
5F → Adaptations → Car Function List CAN Gen2 → PDC audio lowering → Change from Activated to Not Activated

My car doesn’t have lane keep assist
5F → Adaptations → Car Function Adaptations Gen2 → Menu display Lane Departure Warning → Change from Activated to Not Activated
5F → Adaptations → Car Function Adaptations Gen2 → Menu display Lane Departure Warning over threshold high → Change from Activated to Not Activated
5F → Adaptations → Car Function Adaptations Gen2 → Menu display lane assistant → Change from Activated to Not Activated
5F → Adaptations → Car Function Adaptations Gen2 → Menu display lane assistant over threshold high → Change from Activated to Not Activated
5F → Adaptations → Car Function List BAP Gen2 → LDW HCA 0x19 → Change from Activated to Not Activated
5F → Adaptations → Car Function List BAP Gen2 → SWA 0x1A → Change from Activated to Not Activated

My car doesn’t having parking assist
5F → Adaptations → Car Function List BAP Gen2 → Parking assist 0x0A → Change from Activated to Not Activated

My car didn’t have drive mode options
5F → Adaptations → Car Function Adaptations Gen2 → Menu display charisma → Change from Activated to Not Activated
5F → Adaptations → Car Function Adaptations Gen2 → Menu display charisma over threshold high → Change from Activated to Not Activated
5F → Adaptations → Car Function List BAP Gen2 → Charisma 0x17 → Change from Activated to Not Activated

My car has a front-facing camera
A5 → Long Coding → Navigation → Change from MIB Standard to MIB High
Thank you very much!

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Question, my 2018 S doesn’t have a unit in the glovebox, will I need a glovebox too and amp?
You would need to replace the glove box assembly and get an extension harness to bring certain wiring to the glove box. I think the USB port may also need to be replaced for Apple CarPlay to work (some posts seem to indicate that Android Auto will work, but no experience to confirm).

If your car did not come with Fender audio (I don't think the S trims had it as an option), then you do not need an amplifier. The MIB main unit you swap in will need to be coded to use its internal amplifier (and should probably have a sound dataset for non-Fender audio).

Last edited:

scaper28

Hi

I have had this retrofit installed into my 2013 golf mk7 all is working however I have CP errors in my vcds scan logs , did you have the same errors after installing yours and is there a way to have the CP errors removed by maybe using the MIB patch instead ?

This is my unit

ddress 5F: Information Electr. (J794) Labels:| 5G0-035-MIB-HGH2.clb
Part No SW: 5NA 035 022 D HW: 5NA 035 022
Component: MU-H-NDL-EU H54 1367
Serial number: A853K0HB046589 Dataset Number: V03935272UC 0001
Coding: 02731001FF00000051111101008808001F0100C6012001001E
Shop #: WSC 33361 790 00139
ASAM Dataset: EV_MUHig4CGen2HBAS 001001
ROD: EV_MUHig4CGen2HBAS_VW37.rod
VCID: 346D28439F745C3117-8060

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I have had this retrofit installed into my 2013 golf mk7 all is working however I have CP errors in my vcds scan logs , did you have the same errors after installing yours and is there a way to have the CP errors removed by maybe using the MIB patch instead ?
Patched/unlocked/hacked units used for retrofits have component protection suppressed but not removed. The unit works as if component protection was removed, but the fault codes remain in the infotainment module and the gateway. To remove them, you have to use the dealership tool, ODIS with online functionality. Dealerships, independent shops, and even individuals can do this if they have ODIS and a compatible scan tool.

scaper28

Patched/unlocked/hacked units used for retrofits have component protection suppressed but not removed. The unit works as if component protection was removed, but the fault codes remain in the infotainment module and the gateway. To remove them, you have to use the dealership tool, ODIS with online functionality. Dealerships, independent shops, and even individuals can do this if they have ODIS and a compatible scan tool.
Cheers Brent

Does anyone offer this service via remote using the VAS5054A tool ?

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Does anyone offer this service via remote using the VAS5054A tool ?
I have seen people and services that offer component protection remotely if you have the VAS tool. You also might be able to do it yourself with the VAS tool if you download ODIS and use a service that essentially lets you rent an ODIS online/GeKo account for some period of time.

scaper28

I have seen people and services that offer component protection remotely if you have the VAS tool. You also might be able to do it yourself with the VAS tool if you download ODIS and use a service that essentially lets you rent an ODIS online/GeKo account for some period of time.
Hi Brent

Do you know if VCP can restore the 5NA 035 022 D settings back to default so I can go over the sound settings etc and set for my liking ?