GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DG vs VWR Springs

AdamGTI2

Ready to race!
What do you guys think? I know theres a large thread where people post both - but moreso looking on thoughts between which one you guys would personally recommend for me.

I'm looking to get rid of wheel gap and lose some body roll in corners. Mainly wheel gap.

I was really thinking about getting VWR - until people told me it can be bouncy.

Thing is - I work downtown Toronto so I always have to go into shitty parking lots and the roads aren't the best. We get a bunch of snow in the winter too. I love the look of VWR's so much but I'm not sure if its the smartest thing to do. Thoughts?

If you guys could post more updated pics of your cars with either I would appreciate it

nype

Drag Racing Champion
DG springs if you plan to leave the rest of the suspension stock.

AdamGTI2

Ready to race!
DG springs if you plan to leave the rest of the suspension stock.

I think I will. I mean I'm thinking and.... I'd rather spend more $$ on...

Tires
Spacers
New Wheels
JB4

I think thats all I would want to do. I think I'd be sad my car isnt lower but at the same time I drive through some fucked up roads sometimes. The parking lots in toronto sometimes I feel like I could bottom out stock if I dont slow down lol.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
The lower you go the more wear/stress you will put on the rest of the stock suspension. So I'd factor in more than ride quality and looks.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I currently run with Bilstein B8 shocks.

I have had DG on stock (on a 2016 Golf) and then VWR and H&R OE Sport on the B8s (on a 2017 GTI).

The DG, at least on the Golf (and yes VW says they can be used), were trash. Bouncy and harsh.

The H&R OE Sport are my favorite so far. VWR was too low for the roads local to me and I felt like would bottom out the shocks too easily. H&R paired with the shocks is the right match.

A friendly reminder that all lowering springs will harshen up your ride and likely be a bit more bouncy than stock no matter how many people try to tell you "it's just like stock". Then again, stock on these cars is a bit harsh to begin with IMO.

Mk7user

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 2015
A friendly reminder that all lowering springs will harshen up your ride and likely be a bit more bouncy than stock no matter how many people try to tell you "it's just like stock". Then again, stock on these cars is a bit harsh to begin with IMO.

Isn't this a function of mismatched springs & shocks?

That's why your favorite is H&R OE Sport on the B8s.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Are you lowered at all?

Not yet. But I have done a lot of reading and DG springs would be my choice for the reasons mentioned.

EShadowbrook

Passed Driver's Ed
The lower you go the more wear/stress you will put on the rest of the stock suspension. So I'd factor in more than ride quality and looks.

^This.

DG springs with stock struts. VWR says the springs are designed to work with the stock struts, and they do, but you will shorten their lifespan considerably.

I am lowered on VWR springs with stock struts BTW. I don't think the ride is bouncy. But, upgraded struts are in my near future. The ride will get progressively worse as you rack up the miles.

Last edited:

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
DG springs are really designed for regular Golf, you won't get much of a drop with them on GTI. I think it would be a waste of money.

EShadowbrook

Passed Driver's Ed
DG springs are really designed for regular Golf, you won't get much of a drop with them on GTI. I think it would be a waste of money.

Google some photos of MK7s with DG springs. It drops the car about a half inch. Maybe a touch more. It certainly helps eliminate the 4x4 look the stock springs give the car.

If you want more of a drop go for it. Just be prepared to upgrade the stock dampers in the future

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
What do you guys think? I know theres a large thread where people post both - but moreso looking on thoughts between which one you guys would personally recommend for me.

I'm looking to get rid of wheel gap and lose some body roll in corners. Mainly wheel gap.

I was really thinking about getting VWR - until people told me it can be bouncy.

Thing is - I work downtown Toronto so I always have to go into shitty parking lots and the roads aren't the best. We get a bunch of snow in the winter too. I love the look of VWR's so much but I'm not sure if its the smartest thing to do. Thoughts?

If you guys could post more updated pics of your cars with either I would appreciate it

DG's definitely won't do anything for body roll or performance on a GTI. I had them with B8's and was really disappointed. They were nice for every day driving but I absolutely hated them from a handling perspective. Now, I was coming off of Neuspeed sports (wanted to raise the car), but couldn't wait to put the Neuspeeds back on (with B8's). Check my build for more info.