GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer told me I need a turbo replacement

Hockey

Ready to race!
I went to the dealer after a EPC like came on in my car. I needed to get a recall and DSG service taken care of so I had them look at the problem with the light too. I was told I needed a new turbo after they looked at the codes in the image I attatched.

Are they correct in conclusion I need a new turbo? Is it worth upgrading to a bigger Golf R or other turbo if I only have a stage 1 tune and no DP?

Attachments

• 20221009_141912.jpg
    20221009_141912.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 226

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Upgrade depends on your wants/goals but those codes mean the actuator is bad. Replacement is advised, but from fcp so next time you don’t have to buy the turbo again.

Hockey

Ready to race!
"Beginning" rust on rotors? My rotors rust after every car wash..... Sigh.

Are your front pads really that low as to be almost "metal on metal" or are they fibbing?

Water pump/thermostat leak. Lovely.
They are due to be changed but almost metal on metal is a little dramatic. Changing the pads this week.

I guess I'll start putting money aside for a new turbo and cross my fingers that there are no further issues until I can replace it.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Water pump/thermostat leak. Lovely.

I'm pretty sure that's just standard language that comes on every MQB service report. Go in for an inspection? Need a new thermostat & water pump. Go in for an oil change? Need a new thermostat and water pump. Go to the Wendy's next door to a dealer? Yup, need a new thermostat and water pump.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I'm pretty sure that's just standard language that comes on every MQB service report. Go in for an inspection? Need a new thermostat & water pump. Go in for an oil change? Need a new thermostat and water pump. Go to the Wendy's next door to a dealer? Yup, need a new thermostat and water pump.
Now I want a hamburger.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I'd be the guy to say take it to a trusted Indy shop and see what they say. I've had dealers try to sell me on so much bullshit over the years, luckily I have some common sense and access to a forum full of people who know more than me 😊

maxwellheinrich

I went to the dealer after a EPC like came on in my car. I needed to get a recall and DSG service taken care of so I had them look at the problem with the light too. I was told I needed a new turbo after they looked at the codes in the image I attatched.

Are they correct in conclusion I need a new turbo? Is it worth upgrading to a bigger Golf R or other turbo if I only have a stage 1 tune and no DP?
I got a turbo replacement a little over a year ago due to a failing wastegate (with an EPC light). It is apparently common on early MK7s--if you are within your powertrain warranty, take it to an authorized VW dealer. I am Stage 2 Unitronic with a downpipe and they still replaced it at Morong in Falmouth, ME. You may need to state your case that it is a common failure and they won't go through the trouble of trying to prove that the tune caused the failure, because it didn't. There are certain serial numbers on the turbos that come from the factory that are prone to failure, I just can't remember right this second which they are without really digging into my previous research. I was just barely over 50K miles and the dealer still replaced it under powertrain warranty. They get to bill corporate for the repair so it's no money out of their pocket to do a warranty repair. Message me if you have any questions, but if you're outside of your warranty and it's going to be out of your pocket anyway, perhaps consider a turbo upgrade. I think the extra turbo power/torque is lost on FWD GTIs even with a LSD, IMHO. Those turbos really only get their money's worth on AWD platforms like the Golf R or S3. You would likely need much more than just a turbo if upgrading to the IS38, so keep that in mind.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'd be the guy to say take it to a trusted Indy shop and see what they say. I've had dealers try to sell me on so much bullshit over the years, luckily I have some common sense and access to a forum full of people who know more than me 😊
Yep, a good trusted VW indie shop is a must. Dealerships mostly suck.

minordomo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 golf r
my wastegate actuator is starting to go as well, had a few EPC lights come on over the last couple of months. My local tuner shop said that VW doesn't sell the actuator as a separate part (anymore?), so they're trying to find one somewhere so I don't have to pay for a whole turbo. I'm on the APR turbo btw, but it re-used the stock actuator. I'm not treating it as super urgent at the moment, since it's like once a month or less. But buying a whole turbo for one part would suck.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
my wastegate actuator is starting to go as well, had a few EPC lights come on over the last couple of months. My local tuner shop said that VW doesn't sell the actuator as a separate part (anymore?), so they're trying to find one somewhere so I don't have to pay for a whole turbo. I'm on the APR turbo btw, but it re-used the stock actuator. I'm not treating it as super urgent at the moment, since it's like once a month or less. But buying a whole turbo for one part would suck.
I think FCP Euro sells actuators.