GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

daujin_mk7's GTI

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
I took two days off work and the weekend to install my new suspension and some other parts I had collected up. I was not sure how long it would take for me to remove the old suspension and install the Ohlins R&T as it was the first time working on my suspension. Happy to say it only took me two days. In the days leading up to the project, I printed out the torque specs from the factory manual and read through multiple suspension threads (a huge thank you to all in the community). I took my time and had a few extra hands helping me along the way. I used the 2x4 method. The videos I saw of the method made it look simple. Compress the strut, couple of taps on the rotor, and the strut assembly should pop out. That was not my case. Maybe because it was the first time the suspension was being worked on in five+ years. I'm not sure but it took some wrestling, compressing, and PB blaster to get it out.

I ran into some other issues along the way.

Problem 1: On my driver side 034 street density strut mount, one of the nuts holding the bolt broke/spun freely. We decided to try a sawzall to cut the head of the bolt. That was a terrible choice. It was a tight spot and vital components nearby. We ended up doing some damage to the Eurocode front chassis brace strut mount brace. I do not think we damaged it enough to effect it structurally so it was reused after using flat black spray paint to match.

Problem 2: Pushing in the Racingline lower engine mount proved to be a PITA. Granted, I am stupid and should have not rushed the process. After reading through some MK6 threads, I placed the lower engine mount in the freezer overnight. This was a mistake! Wait longer. Placing it two days straight in the freezer really allowed the metal to shrink and be easily pushed into the subframe. Back to the issue. I could not press it in after only placing it overnight in the freezer. I attempted to use hand tools (block of wood and hammer) to press it in. That didn't work so I called a buddy of mine up with a 15 ton hydraulic press. We got it in easy. As we pulled it out of the hydraulic press, we realized we made a huge mistake. We weren't able to apply even pressure on one of the lower engine mounts as it has a "bump" for the bolt to thread in. As a result when pressed against a flat surface, the mount failed and cracked. Soooo... that was a ~$300 mistake. Called a bunch of places to see if they could overnight the part or had it available for local pickup. No overnighting available and the local shop had just sold their last one in stock earlier that day. Fortunate for me, an email from UroTuning was offering me 5% back on every part I purchased. I purchased a new Racingline lower engine mount since FL to PA wouldn't take more than a week. It arrived in three business days. While I was shopping, I purchased a R600 intake because I couldn't resist. Subframe, LCA, and deadset kit to be installed later.

Problem 3: I was not able to install my SuperPro rear trailing arm bushing. My rear handbrake brackets do not want to come out. I cannot get the pin out of the rivet. Despite using multiple punches and different size hammers, it will not budge. I am thinking of drilling the pin out, popping the rivet out, then using a zip tie to secure both handbrake brackets to the trailing arm.

Attachments

• 64C269E3-1CC4-4EBF-AEC6-A5322F467073.jpeg
    64C269E3-1CC4-4EBF-AEC6-A5322F467073.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 57C5B2C4-6B7B-42BF-902F-783B72CF0182.jpeg
    57C5B2C4-6B7B-42BF-902F-783B72CF0182.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 7BBED2B7-EA31-4A23-BCC1-E6FE2030E94A.jpeg
    7BBED2B7-EA31-4A23-BCC1-E6FE2030E94A.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 40
  • D2082E1F-D5A0-43E1-BA9F-4D0DF7A1F66B.jpeg
    D2082E1F-D5A0-43E1-BA9F-4D0DF7A1F66B.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 38
  • D9ADE8DC-E352-4EDD-9614-590D7878FE0E.jpeg
    D9ADE8DC-E352-4EDD-9614-590D7878FE0E.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 5CEB1522-3533-4FCA-AD8F-24191855321E.jpeg
    5CEB1522-3533-4FCA-AD8F-24191855321E.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 42
  • F30D1375-23DA-4B13-82E8-B691D63A512E.jpeg
    F30D1375-23DA-4B13-82E8-B691D63A512E.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
I had some time yesterday to correct my mistake with pushing the Racingline lower engine mount in. Drilled a bunch of holes in the top mount to relieve some of the pressure. It was an absolute PITA to get out. It took us about two and a half hours and a whole lot of cursing to remove it. We sanded and cleaned the area prior to pushing the new one in. We heated up the subframe and easily pushed the new one in. Unfortunately some of the powder coat got scratched off. Used a toothpick and some flat black spray paint to cover up the exposed metal.

Attachments

• B4414826-250C-4446-93F9-A9A8E57E0105.jpeg
    B4414826-250C-4446-93F9-A9A8E57E0105.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 40

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
Updated the first posting for up to date mods on the car.

Did some Black Friday shopping for the car. Picked up a Rennline phone mount and new wheels + tires. Putting on Continental DWS 06+ on Apex SM-10's in 17. Went with a 235/45 R17 tire after finding a bend in one rim in my summer setup. PA roads...

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
Paint matched Golf R side skirts are on the car. Thinking about picking up DPC's side skirts to finish the look.

Completed some maintenance, greased endlinks, oil, spark plugs. Stoptech rear stainless steel lines installed.

Purchased a Cobb GESI downpipe. Couldn't resist the price for a Gen 2 EPA compliant GESI. I was told it's the 400 cell cat part number 50230.

Last edited:

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
First track day this season is coming up this weekend. In preparation,
  • Gave the car a wash with ONR. First time using ONR. It felt like I wash washing the car with water. Will have to get used to the lack of suds.
  • Summer wheels mounted. Warmer weather is here in SE PA this week.
  • Did an inspection. Engine oil and brake fluid were changed a few weeks ago.
  • Replaced the CTS TIP for the OEM TIP. Removed the GFB DV+, stock DV back in.

Attachments

• tempImager9ZagF.png
    tempImager9ZagF.png
    10.9 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Which track are you heading to? Bummed I missed out on those Cobb Gesi dps when they were on sale haha

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
Ayone run E30 for HPDE? Interested to see data over pump gas for temps.

Also searching for an Alltrack to replace the GTI as a daily.

Last edited:

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
Oh rad! I raced karts there a bunch back in the day- the car track looks great too, have fun!

And shoot...I might have to grab one of those now haha
First time karting last weekend on the Liberator and Avenger track. Two sessions, was a blast.

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
Car has a total of three track days with a fourth coming this weekend.
  1. After how many track day(s), do yall change oil? Brake fluid?
  2. After how many track days, are yall rebuilding your calipers?
  3. Looking at Porterfield R4 & R4S for next pads. Currently seems to be the best choice for dual purpose vehicle.

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
Scored a deal on Neuspeed Rse10s in Satin Bronze on Audizine. 18x8.5 ET45. Came with AS3+. These will be dedicated for the track. The plan is to eventually mount V730s in 245/40/18.

Attachments

• IMG_9494.jpeg
    IMG_9494.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
Any DSG owners having issues with transmission fluid "spilling/seeping" on track days? After a track day, there is transmission fluid sprayed from the case to driver fender. There was a small pool in my skid plate. Could it be overheating + overflow? I cleaned the area up and with normal driving I'm not seeing any fluid.

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I've never seen had nor heard of that issue. Was a DSG fluid service recently performed? Maybe it was overfilled.

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
I've never seen had nor heard of that issue. Was a DSG fluid service recently performed? Maybe it was overfilled.
It was performed a year ago. I may have and now pushing the car, the overflow is pushing out. Maybe a seal is leaking?

Shifts fine, no excess noise/chatters/clunks, no overheating warning.