GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Creaking doors? Mystery solved

FormerRocco

Passed Driver's Ed
Just happened upon this thread, I've had a creaking door since almost new but just chose to ignore it whilst I could find time to get to the dealership. I have some GummPledge from my Scirocco days that I used to sop the windows sticking to the doorframe in cold weather. Applied it on my GTi as described, creaks gone!

Nykos5000

Gummi Pfledge works wonders on creaking doors. BMWs have this problem as well and I always solved it by applying Gummi Pfledge on the door seals.

Markio

Ready to race!
A couple of photo's of the top of the driver's side door. Apologies for the dreadful focusing of my camera but you can see the double rubber seal and where I've splayed them out.

That's all it is - just the action of the inner seal rubbing against the outer seal makes the doors creak like the Mary Rose. The Mk7 fit and finish is top notch but the creaky doors let it down. I'm relieved it's a piece of cake to remedy such an aggravating annoyance. Use your fingers, silicone spray or Rob's suggestion for rubber seal lubricant.

Dude I've had this problem for weeks and it was driving me insane. I sprayed some silicone spray in that area where you took pictures and the sound went away completely. Thanks!

mechtibs

Ready to race!
I use Auto Glym vinyl and rubber care on my door seals. Never heard of Gummi Pfledge stuff... has anyone else used Auto Glym stuff before?

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
Just wanted to chime in.

I bought Gummi Pflege last year and used it to try to solve my creaking doors when turning onto the ramp for our underground parking. I assumed it was the contact points between the rubber seal and the painted surfaces in the door jamb. I treated everything, and the noise was still there.

Yesterday I stumbled across this thread and decided to give it another go using the guidance from the pictures. I used liberal amounts of Gummi Pflege and spread it around using a finger. I wasn't paying attention this morning when I left for the office and wasn't sure if the second attempt helped, but coming back I listened carefully as I turned onto the ramp -- no more creaking!

mkygod

Ready to race!
Lots of good tips in this thread. I used Megs Mirror Glaze Vinyl&Rubber Cleaner and it seems to have reduced it by 90%. I may have to try Gummi Pflege some time to see if it works better. Only problem is Pflege seems pretty expensive for how much you get.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
My biggest problem with Gummi Pflege when I tried to buy it last year was not the price, but that it was back-ordered everywhere I looked. All the online sellers on Amazon, various detailing product outlets etc. were out of stock and didn't get a new shipment until two or three months later.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Lots of good tips in this thread. I used Megs Mirror Glaze Vinyl&Rubber Cleaner and it seems to have reduced it by 90%. I may have to try Gummi Pflege some time to see if it works better. Only problem is Pflege seems pretty expensive for how much you get.

Use the force Luke...

(Sailkote the felt, we've been concentrating on the wrong side of the weather stripping.)

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Use the force Luke...

(Sailkote the felt, we've been concentrating on the wrong side of the weather stripping.)

Interesting. Did you try SailKote yourself? Sort of seems like a sensible thing to do. I'd really prefer not to have this tubing in my doors for the duration of my ownership (it's in there now) and I don't experience creaking and don't know if my car does because I installed the tubing on day 1 of ownership. But if I can go back to how VW designed it and have it stay quiet then I will.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Interesting. Did you try SailKote yourself? Sort of seems like a sensible thing to do. I'd really prefer not to have this tubing in my doors for the duration of my ownership (it's in there now) and I don't experience creaking and don't know if my car does because I installed the tubing on day 1 of ownership. But if I can go back to how VW designed it and have it stay quiet then I will.

I used sailkote on my MK6 for about the last year I've had it, and I've applied it to my MK7 which I've had for one year.
It works really well. Amazingly well really, and it lasts a long time.
It's a marine dry spray lubricant, literally used to ease the raising and lowering of sails, and such.
I found out about the product through someone who posted a link from a BMW forum to the MK6 site.
BMW's apparently have the same creaking problem, and the same use of felt on one side. The BMW poster said that they (the BMW posters) had been going about tying to silence their cars by concentrating on the wrong side - the rubber side - of the problem.
Take care of your seals, I always keep mine clean and treated.
But as for making them more quiet, Sailkote the felt.

EthanSpitz

I used sailkote on my MK6 for about the last year I've had it, and I've applied it to my MK7 which I've had for one year.
It works really well. Amazingly well really, and it lasts a long time.
It's a marine dry spray lubricant, literally used to ease the raising and lowering of sails, and such.
I found out about the product through someone who posted a link from a BMW forum to the MK6 site.
BMW's apparently have the same creaking problem, and the same use of felt on one side. The BMW poster said that they (the BMW posters) had been going about tying to silence their cars by concentrating on the wrong side - the rubber side - of the problem.
Take care of your seals, I always keep mine clean and treated.
But as for making them more quiet, Sailkote the felt.
Perfect! I just sailkoted the felt on my doors and the rattling stopped! I also had a rattle on the sun roof and tried sailkoting the seals on it and the rattle stopped too! Silent now!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

aunsafe2015

Ready to race!
Perfect! I just sailkoted the felt on my doors and the rattling stopped! I also had a rattle on the sun roof and tried sailkoting the seals on it and the rattle stopped too! Silent now!

In the sun roof, did you just sailkote the rubber parts?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

Excellent! :cool::)
I'm very happy you got good results.
It should last you a long time too.
Weeks or more.
My original can of Sailkote is empty now (it's a mini can) and I had it for more than two years. Plus, I used it on other things - like sticking gas grill knobs, garage door wheels...