GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobb tuning yay or nay?

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
I don't think I've seen a bad COBB protune yet, also spark based TC is a must on the GTI.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
I get ya, i'm far from a pro in that also. I've had the car for about a year now & i'm slowly putting money in the car. I got some new wheels to start off, then got a R600 intake, now i'm about to get a turbo inlet pipe & picking a tune. Cobb seems like a good option to start with, I'm not too fond of how annoying it is to install a JB4 & remove it to get the car serviced but I am strongly considering it also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I know there are guys who can install and remove the JB4 quickly, but I'm not one of them. It took me and my brother an hour to get plug D, and 45 minutes for me to remove it. I knew I'd never remove it when going to the dealership so the warranty pros weren't there for me. That being said, absolutely phenomenal product and George is the man. It just wasn't right for me.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
I had a JB4 but honestly, the thread's here on tuning it go way over my head. Combine that with a killer deal on a Cobb AP from MAP and I made the switch. Currently on Rev C from Jon at 5150 and planning on sending him logs tonight.

honestly the jb4 thread is nuts to me and I have one. I honestly just go to george and he helps me out. It's gotten far too "nerdy" for me to get reliable data/information for me.

ALso i saw a video of the pops on the cobb tune and I instantly wanted it. Is that something that can be done even though I live in NY?

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
honestly the jb4 thread is nuts to me and I have one. I honestly just go to george and he helps me out. It's gotten far too "nerdy" for me to get reliable data/information for me.

ALso i saw a video of the pops on the cobb tune and I instantly wanted it. Is that something that can be done even though I live in NY?
That was me sorry, not sorry. Hahaha and yes it can be done remotely to your tune. It can be small pops burbles or bigger ones you choice.. 5150 can make a map with and without it.

https://youtu.be/07mfhxkUBwE

Last edited:

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie

I live in RI and Jon is in So-Cal, he just emails you the tunes. Throw it in the Cobb, load it into the car, and off you go. Run a couple of logs and email them back so he can tweak the tune.

Couldn't be easier and I'm super impressed with his turnaround. I started last Friday and I'm on revision C already.

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!

Zx2man

Ready to race!
Cobb is a Yay. You can certainly have a faster funner gti with a flash tune. Im happy with ED. But going Cobb with a 5150 tune is a solid choice. Ineedmorepsi is trapping 114mph with bolt ons. Cant bitch about that.

Before my gti, Cobb was how I rolled. Having CobbSurgeline In Portland 15 miles away helps too lol.
Good luck.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
I'm on JB4 and love it. I went that route for warranty purposes. However, you'll never get the same tuning / power potential as the Cobb AP. The JB4 while adding more boost, is still using the stock timing and AFR. You can't fine tune every parameter like the AP. But then again, the JB4 is plenty fast for the street / daily use!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I'm on JB4 and love it. I went that route for warranty purposes. However, you'll never get the same tuning / power potential as the Cobb AP. The JB4 while adding more boost, is still using the stock timing and AFR. You can't fine tune every parameter like the AP. But then again, the JB4 is plenty fast for the street / daily use!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I second this. JB4 is a great product and makes the car A LOT more fun to drive. But, I am switching to the Cobb AP because it does allow more adjustment through pro tuning. Can't wait for my AP to arrive.

Mtlguy123

Passed Driver's Ed
I ended up buying a Cobb AP3, a turbo inlet pipe & a DV+.. Got a little carried away lol. I'll see how theit ots stage 1+ goes for me to start off & if I want something more i'll definitely get it pro tuned. Thanks for your inputs guys!

Mtlguy123

Passed Driver's Ed
I second this. JB4 is a great product and makes the car A LOT more fun to drive. But, I am switching to the Cobb AP because it does allow more adjustment through pro tuning. Can't wait for my AP to arrive.

Ultimately I was thinking the same. It's a really neat little unit with a lot of features & you can get as much power as you want depending on your needs with a pro tuned