GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ceramic Coating

Nsknick

Ready to race!
Hello all,

I was interested in possibly doing my own ceramic coating, and wanted to hear others experience with this?

- Product used?
- Time it took to cover the car?
- Happy with the result?

Thanks a bunch!

nate704

Go Kart Champion
I used Opti Coat (latest version)
It took 4 hours including the prep (my car had no dealer scratch/swirl).
Actual Opti Coat application is very easy. you just need to take time and try not to hurry.
I applied 2 coats over the Xpel Ultimate PPF.
Important thing is that you need to cure it good. I did it for 3 weeks (it stayed in the garage for three weeks).
It's been 6 months, and I am happy with it since I only paid $50 plus my free labor.
You can expect the following:
1. Sleek and shiny surface
2. Protection for minor scratches and swirl marks (It will NOT provide the PPF level of protection)
3. Ease of cleaning, especially dead bugs on the front bumper
4. No need for extra waxing
5. Car will still get dirty and spraying just water will NOT make your car shiny. You will still need to use car soap and sponge/mitten.
6. Don't use the auto car wash. Try to use touchless if you have to use it (you still need to wipe it down with microfiber towel afterwards).

Nsknick

Ready to race!
I used Opti Coat (latest version)
It took 4 hours including the prep (my car had no dealer scratch/swirl).
Actual Opti Coat application is very easy. you just need to take time and try not to hurry.
I applied 2 coats over the Xpel Ultimate PPF.
Important thing is that you need to cure it good. I did it for 3 weeks (it stayed in the garage for three weeks).
It's been 6 months, and I am happy with it since I only paid $50 plus my free labor.
You can expect the following:
1. Sleek and shiny surface
2. Protection for minor scratches and swirl marks (It will NOT provide the PPF level of protection)
3. Ease of cleaning, especially dead bugs on the front bumper
4. No need for extra waxing
5. Car will still get dirty and spraying just water will NOT make your car shiny. You will still need to use car soap and sponge/mitten.
6. Don't use the auto car wash. Try to use touchless if you have to use it (you still need to wipe it down with microfiber towel afterwards).

Wow that's awesome, unfortunately leaving my car in a garage is not an option. I might have it professionally done then. I live in a condo, so even worse, it sits in the sun all day.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I've been using CQuartz UK a lot. It's crazy how easy it is to use in relation to the results. But, still easy to mess up if you're not careful, as with most coatings.

My buddy and I coated a Raptor in less than 30 minutes with UK, as opposed to
an hour or so with the regular CQuartz formula. The UK is easier to buff of and spread as it's a tad thicker. It seems like it goes farther too.

Overall, you have more good choices then bad ones when it comes to DIY coatings. There are tons compared to a few years ago. Just do your research, and read up on application/prep work. You'll be fine :)

Happy coating.

Nsknick

Ready to race!
I've been using CQuartz UK a lot. It's crazy how easy it is to use in relation to the results. But, still easy to mess up if you're not careful, as with most coatings.

My buddy and I coated a Raptor in less than 30 minutes with UK, as opposed to
an hour or so with the regular CQuartz formula. The UK is easier to buff of and spread as it's a tad thicker. It seems like it goes farther too.

Overall, you have more good choices then bad ones when it comes to DIY coatings. There are tons compared to a few years ago. Just do your research, and read up on application/prep work. You'll be fine :)

Happy coating.

Are there any specific supplies to have when doing this? I called a place and they quoted me like $1200 for the whole car lol.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Are there any specific supplies to have when doing this? I called a place and they quoted me like $1200 for the whole car lol.

That's because they are going to likely need corrections to the paint done. The way it's supposed to be done as you don't want to seal in swirls/scratches. Also, unless they looked at your car they have no idea how much correction needs to be done so I bet they ballparked it. Ever had a bid on a new deck without anyone coming out to see what to build? If someone asked me to bid it without seeing what i was working with I would aim high too to cover my ass.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I called a place and they quoted me like $1200 for the whole car lol.

CQuartz UK is an "over the counter" coating, I call them, as you don't need special training or paperwork to install it.

CQuartz Finest requires training from CarPro and paperwork to sell and install, I suspect that's what you were quoted IF that was just for the coating itself.

Now, $1200 for a paint correction and CQuartz UK, sounds fair to me. We charge $1299-1499 depending on vehicle size. That is paint as good as we are able to get it(aim for 95%+) and CQuartz topped with Reload 1 hour after coating. A shop on the opposite side of town charges $1999 for the same thing so we figure we're priced to sell around here.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
If someone asked me to bid it without seeing what i was working with I would aim high too to cover my ass.

I hate trying to do that! Lol. Then you bid high to CYA and they get a cheaper dart toss from another guy and you lose the sale. I always tell people, for me to tell you what it needs and how much, I NEED to see the car in person.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
CQuartz UK is an "over the counter" coating, I call them, as you don't need special training or paperwork to install it.

CQuartz Finest requires training from CarPro and paperwork to sell and install, I suspect that's what you were quoted IF that was just for the coating itself.

Now, $1200 for a paint correction and CQuartz UK, sounds fair to me. We charge $1299-1499 depending on vehicle size. That is paint as good as we are able to get it(aim for 95%+) and CQuartz topped with Reload 1 hour after coating. A shop on the opposite side of town charges $1999 for the same thing so we figure we're priced to sell around here.

Shop by me charges $1200 for Opticoat+ including all prep work. I purchased Cquarts pro uk and have it sitting but i've been told and shown how its not the best and it only lasts 12-16 months at best. Plus the opticoat has a 7 year warranty i believe.