GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BUSTED! - Plastic oil pan...

ECS Tuning

Go Kart Champion
Before you buy that ECS skid plate do a search--there are some threads about the engineering not being particularly good and it attaching to the wrong parts of the underbody. No skin in either game I just read through some very deep threads about the underbody protection a while back.

I have not heard of anyone busting and oil pan with our Street Shield installed.
Did I miss something ?

Chuck

ECS Tuning

Go Kart Champion
I hate how companies like ECS will make awesome products them ruin them with their logo. I'd pay slightly more for a logo delete. If I go the ECS pan route I'll take a grinding/cutting disc to the tac welds that hold the logo on. Once removed I'd powdercoat or ceramic coat it for a little more heat resistance.

The big advantage to me of the Wortec pan over the ECS is the baffling and external fins for when I'm at the track. Any extra cooling is helpful. The extra liter offered by both is very nice.

I will talk to the my fellow ECS Tuning Employees and see if we can get our name off of the oil pan. It's not someone is going to look under your car at a show or race event to see whose oil pan you are running. BTW, thanks for a good suggestion.

Chuck

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I have not heard of anyone busting and oil pan with our Street Shield installed.
Did I miss something ?

Chuck

Is it not attached to plastic only with the exception of the rear bolts in the subframe?

Regardless a stamped steel pan, which you guys also sell would be my go to. Keep up the great work I just personally don't buy the whole skid plate thing

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I will talk to the my fellow ECS Tuning Employees and see if we can get our name off of the oil pan. It's not someone is going to look under your car at a show or race event to see whose oil pan you are running. BTW, thanks for a good suggestion.

Chuck

Be proud of it.
Keep the name on it.
Interior stuff and external cosmetic pieces maybe but the other mechanicals can have it.

Helps us old guys remember where we purchased stuff.
Age discrimination if you take all the names off! ;)

The welder can autograph mine if they like.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Is it not attached to plastic only with the exception of the rear bolts in the subframe?

You missed the part where your street shield bolts to flexible plastic and provides almost zero protection vs the OEM skid plate that attaches to the frame.

Correct!...

Attachments

• ESC-skid-tray-comparision.jpg
    ESC-skid-tray-comparision.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 392

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
The ECS plate will provide a good amount of protection. It bolts to the frame in the rear and is attached to the bumper and wheel well liner with screws along the sides and in the front. There are also tabs in the front that interlock with the bumper.

It's not a flimsy piece of crap like some people seem to think. It's made of 3/16" aluminum.

I have one and have scraped it and had plenty of rocks bounce up into it. It can easily take hits.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The ECS plate will provide a good amount of protection. It bolts to the frame in the rear and is attached to the bumper and wheel well liner with screws along the sides and in the front. There are also tabs in the front that interlock with the bumper.

It's not a flimsy piece of crap like some people seem to think. It's made of 3/16" aluminum.

I have one and have scraped it and had plenty of rocks bounce up into it. It can easily take hits.

I have no doubt the pan is solid, but without proper solid mounts up front where the impacts will occur it can be pushed into the pan. That plastic splash guard is the flimsy part, not the pan itself

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
I have no doubt the pan is solid, but without proper solid mounts up front where the impacts will occur it can be pushed into the pan. That plastic splash guard is the flimsy part, not the pan itself

It would take a lot of force to push the ECS plate up into the pan. You would basically have to beach the front of the car on something at speed to get it to flex or deform enough to impact the pan. There's about an inch of clearance between the ECS plate and the pan.

That being said, the OEM plate would probably be a little stronger because of the additional supports.

My concern with an FRP (fiberglass-reinforced polymer) plate would be shattering or cracking from a hard impact, where the aluminum would most likely just dent or flex a bit.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

You don't get it...

LOOK at the picture very closely...there are two nice bends/ creases in the pan before it joins the subframe...these are the weak points as if something hits the pan it will hit the main section in front of these bends/creases...

One of those bends is "upwards" so will flex upwards easier than in the other direction... this is into your oil pan....the ONLY thing resisting this is the strength of the wheel arch liners & the front bumper under trim....

Basically if I put a wooden plank across mine at the front & jack the car up it will be fine....the ESC one will flex at the rear bends & split the wheel arch liners etc...& then hit your oil pan

I did structural engineering at uni...& that ESC pan does not fully meet the design requirements for a "skid tray" IMHO!....:cool:

Last edited: