GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BUSTED! - Plastic oil pan...

liljonny16

Ready to race!
I'm not lowered but I switched to a metal oil pan as soon as I got the car. Saw too many horror stories. A few months later, doing an oil change and there was a huge dent in my new metal oil pan. All I do was thank the good Lord that I had installed that metal oil pan or I too might have been starting a thread about a busted oil pan.

RadioFlyer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GSX-Rs

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
thx guys for the fyi on the pan.

damn you guys for the fyi on the pan...........now I am gonna think about getting one.

Last edited:

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Wondering how hitting a deer would test and oil pan 4 inches off the ground and under a car? Was the deer sleeping on the road?

I was meaning that the skid plate didn't flex or buckle from the impact. It hit the front passenger side and messed up the quarter panel, headlight, bumper, wheel well liner, grills, and hood. Everything got pushed toward the driver's side, but the plate stayed in place. The plate was the only thing holding the wheel well liner and part of the bumper in place.

I can see where the confusion came from though lol

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Yup yup, I may have been around the internet block a time or two, but I still suck at reading those hidden smiles (same in real life too). You should have posted a picture of a squirrel chewing on something or looking cheeky, then I would have not been a dumbass. So clearly its all your fault, and none of my own.... right? Shit.

No Issue!:rolleyes:

Chad1140

Passed Driver's Ed
GolfDave's OEM+ part guide is the best solution. Not to bash ECS but there's won't protect for anything. It secures like the OEM plastic cover found on the A3. If you hit something with it, it will force the bumper forward and bend up into the pan. Steel pans are the best option, I'm installing an aluminum Wortec one on mine.

The ECS increased capacity stainless pan is also very tempting, 11 gauge steel.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-par...-steel-oil-pan-mqb-gen3-tsi/008012ecs01-01kt/

I just had the Wortec one come FedEx Today, did you torque all the hardware to VW factory specs? There aren't any instructions, and and I want to make sure that I don't strip anything on the Wortec cast aluminum.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I just had the Wortec one come FedEx Today, did you torque all the hardware to VW factory specs? There aren't any instructions, and and I want to make sure that I don't strip anything on the Wortec cast aluminum.

You would think that it would come with the torque specs.

Chad1140

Passed Driver's Ed
You would think that it would come with the torque specs.
Nope, I used just enough teflon tape to cover the ports but no tape comes through into the pan, and then a generous amount of Permatex sealant on the outside of the extra bung/ports with torque just to snug which ended up around 40 FT LBS . So far after 300 miles, no issues. 5-10 degree lower oil temps with extremely quick recovery if it does rise with the extra quart or so of capacity. With such a high quality part, really confused why a good set of install instructions were not included.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
GolfDave's OEM+ part guide is the best solution. Not to bash ECS but there's won't protect for anything. It secures like the OEM plastic cover found on the A3. If you hit something with it, it will force the bumper forward and bend up into the pan. Steel pans are the best option, I'm installing an aluminum Wortec one on mine.

The ECS increased capacity stainless pan is also very tempting, 11 gauge steel.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-par...-steel-oil-pan-mqb-gen3-tsi/008012ecs01-01kt/

I know this is super old, but did you notice the additional cooling from the Wortec?

I think my oil pan is leaking, and there's a $400 difference between an OEM & getting something that may improve cooling.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Only 6 years old and Blade is still around if I'm not mistaken

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I switched To the metal pan from FCP Euro.. I’ll keep you posted on driving temps when i get Back from Vermont