GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Yea i m hearing mixed reviews as well, still deciding if i shud heat wrap or turbo blanket.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I'm not doing it because of the chance of an engine bay fire.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I finally got to try the piggie pipe with some e30. It did really well. The cooler weather certainly helped as well. Did some runs against two friends with GTIs. One is a JB4, downpipe and the other is a JB1 at 5.6 with a downpipe. Both are dsg, e30 and pedal boxes. They would get the initial jump on me, but then they would only slowly pull away. I hung in pretty good. I think the pedal box helped them with the jump. From 40-110 I was only back about 2-3 cars max. I was able to get a log and it looks really good. I think I can add a little bit more to it.
http://www.datazap.me/u/jcranwell/e30-piggie-pipe?log=0&data=1-4

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
I finally got to try the piggie pipe with some e30. It did really well. The cooler weather certainly helped as well. Did some runs against two friends with GTIs. One is a JB4, downpipe and the other is a JB1 at 5.6 with a downpipe. Both are dsg, e30 and pedal boxes. They would get the initial jump on me, but then they would only slowly pull away. I hung in pretty good. I think the pedal box helped them with the jump. From 40-110 I was only back about 2-3 cars max. I was able to get a log and it looks really good. I think I can add a little bit more to it.
http://www.datazap.me/u/jcranwell/e30-piggie-pipe?log=0&data=1-4

How have you seen performance improvement with the colder plugs?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
How have you seen performance improvement with the colder plugs?

I put them in at the same time I started getting more aggressive with my settings. I can't really say. Initially the idle smoothed out, but I think that's back to the way it was now. I do get pretty good timing advance and I've thrown a lot at them though. So I would bunk they help. They haven't hurt. I really think they will only benefit you if you are running a more aggressive map with a downpipe

jonatj

Passed Driver's Ed
JB4 Map 6 and George are the best

I just wanted to thank George for his quick replies and awesome advice. My bone stock 1.8TSI is running better than ever with Map 6. I'm at sea level in Hawaiian summer temps (high. 80s) and I'm using these settings:

1500 11
2000 12
2500 13
3000 13
3500 14
4000 16
4500 17
5000 16
5500 14
6000 13
6500 12
7000 12

I'm leasing, so staying stock is important. But I feel like I'm getting GTI power from a base Golf, which is awesome. I'm so in love with this car, I may just keep it. If I do, I would explore WMI. Anyone know what you need to get the nozzle into the intake? And how do you connect it to the JB4 controller?

Thrawn

Passed Driver's Ed
Preparing to go IS20 on a 4motion Golf variant. Thank you all for the sharing your great info! Burger is now my first choice for tuning the IS20. Turbo is in-hand, and will send it out for ceramic coating and balancing. Maybe a port and polish whilge I'm at it. Actually, waiting on Littco for IS20 hybrid availability...

mattkime

Passed Driver's Ed
Here's a link to my logs - http://www.datazap.me/u/mattkime/

I did 3 logs on map 4 and 3 logs on map 1. It was my first attempt at logging. I made sure I was in 2nd and then tried to floor it until i was in 4th - although I think I still need to find a better road for this.

Is there anything notable in the logs?
Where should I start with map 6?

jonatj

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks good

Here's a link to my logs - http://www.datazap.me/u/mattkime/

I did 3 logs on map 4 and 3 logs on map 1. It was my first attempt at logging. I made sure I was in 2nd and then tried to floor it until i was in 4th - although I think I still need to find a better road for this.

Is there anything notable in the logs?
Where should I start with map 6?

Hi Matt,

Your logs look good. Try to log a Map 4 and Map 2 run in 3rd gear starting at 2000 rpm up to 6500 if possible. Then the best thing is to email george@burgertuning.com those 2 shorter 3rd gear runs. Send him the .CSV not a datazap.me link. George can look at your baseline Map 4 versus the Map 2 and see where there is room for improvement.

Be sure you have a tank of 93 octane before you switch to Map 2. Map 2 is really good but if you want to try Map 6 settings, you could test these.

1500 11
2000 12
2500 13
3000 13
3500 14
4000 15
4500 16
5000 15
5500 13
6000 13
6500 12
7000 12

mattkime

Passed Driver's Ed
I think I have about 3% 87 octane remaining in the tank. Two fill ups on 93.

Next time I'll try to do 2x run at Map 4, Map 2, and Map 6 with the above recommended settings.

Thanks for the advice.

---

I'm curious how other people are logging this info. Maybe I need to find a better road, but I feel nervous going from 2k to 6.5 in 3rd.

Last edited:

17S

@MeltedSolid and other JB4 smart individuals, does the FOL setting affect low load or lower rpm AKA everyday driving or fuel consumption or is it just under heavy throttle?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

17S

Wind it out to 6500 next time.

Looks like you need to dial it back a bit. Not even hitting target and multiple corrections as you hit 5k.

I would like to wind it out more in 3rd for sure. Still hunting the perfect stretch of road.

Thanks for the tip about dialing back.. I will do so!

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I would like to wind it out more in 3rd for sure. Still hunting the perfect stretch of road.

Thanks for the tip about dialing back.. I will do so!

With the 5mt it's a real struggle because 6500rpm in 3rd is 110mph. Keep looking around for a spot, even a pull to 100mph is much more useful.

Looking at your log is a little confusing to me because you're not running very aggressive boost and your timing is super high but you're still getting a large amount of correction. Which fuel are you running? I wouldn't expect it to have this much correction even with 87, but regardless it's important that you use the highest octane you have available.