GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Cool, thanks!

This is the log before the dynojet run @239 wheel. Conservative peak. Less than I was running with JB1. Since we had no prior information to go by, George picked these settings to see where we stood torque wise and what the shape of the curve looked like. Torque peak was close to 300 wheel. We did absolute targeting. After spool, The boost settings mimicked the results you see in the graph pretty close. So just round to get the settings if your interested. I didn't write them down and have since added new settings into the JB4.

Attachments

• 239.jpg
    239.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 610
Last edited:

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
This is the last log I did before I put snow tires on. No dyno run on this one.

The timing looks great, George said it looked good. I still think and there is more on the table. Just a matter of how much before timing suffers, or the transmission says no.

These settings are still loaded onto the JB4, so I could plug in the computer to get them. But again, after spool, the settings mimic the actual graph output pretty close. So extrapolate from the graph if you want to know settings. Absolute targeting.

Attachments

• now.jpg
    now.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 588

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
I can't resist but to post a log: http://datazap.me/u/meltedsolid/log-1488249337?log=0&data=0-1-2-4-11-25-26-27-28

This is ~0-110mph, and starts just after I let off the clutch in 1st gear. I think the timestamp is accurate to as soon as I began moving because it starts at 0.125s. According to this my 0-60 was 5.2s, my 0-100 was 10.9s, and my 40-100 is 7.4s, which is way faster than I could have imagined. Compare it to what car and driver found for the 2015 mustang 5.0, and my car is faster once you get past 40mph... I'll need to get a second set of proof to convince myself that the logs aren't being optimistic, but damn it's fast now. The feel is on par with the jump from stock to stage 1.

Nice!! It looks like your above where I left off in both mid and top. 21psi peak with about 15 psi at 6300 and timing over 10.

To put that into perspective, that's 3-4 more PSI than the IS12 at reline with good timing.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Looking good. Really tempting me to find a used IS20. I've got a situation that maybe someone here can figure out. I posted in the gti section and didn't get anything. I just emailed George as well, but I figured I would keep looking to a larger group for help. After installing my downpipe, I was able to run my e85 map on straight 93. I even carried more boost up top. It looked great. I had some minor corrections, but I also had a bad vibration that I since fixed. So if the downpipe did great in 93, it would have to better with some e85. Right? I put in a few gallons and topped it off with some more 93. I am using target boost and was previously at 18.5 peak. I switched the peak to 19.5 and added a little more psi before and after as well. When I went and logged, it's lowering my target at peak. It goes to 17.9, and then drops to anywhere from 17.2-17.7 from 3,900-4,400 rpms. It then goes back to 17.9 and begins the taper down. I then switched back to the previous map which peaked at 18.5. It's still lowering the target across that range. I've tried switching to an additive for a bit as well as map 2 and logged both. Then went back to my original 18.5 peak target map. It is still lowering the target across that range. By lowering the target, I'm now getting less boost there. Timing is clean, AFR is clean and trims are ok. Any ideas?

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Looking good. Really tempting me to find a used IS20. I've got a situation that maybe someone here can figure out. I posted in the gti section and didn't get anything. I just emailed George as well, but I figured I would keep looking to a larger group for help. After installing my downpipe, I was able to run my e85 map on straight 93. I even carried more boost up top. It looked great. I had some minor corrections, but I also had a bad vibration that I since fixed. So if the downpipe did great in 93, it would have to better with some e85. Right? I put in a few gallons and topped it off with some more 93. I am using target boost and was previously at 18.5 peak. I switched the peak to 19.5 and added a little more psi before and after as well. When I went and logged, it's lowering my target at peak. It goes to 17.9, and then drops to anywhere from 17.2-17.7 from 3,900-4,400 rpms. It then goes back to 17.9 and begins the taper down. I then switched back to the previous map which peaked at 18.5. It's still lowering the target across that range. I've tried switching to an additive for a bit as well as map 2 and logged both. Then went back to my original 18.5 peak target map. It is still lowering the target across that range. By lowering the target, I'm now getting less boost there. Timing is clean, AFR is clean and trims are ok. Any ideas?

This is defiantly one for George. Let me know what you find out. I always noticed this with JB1. I haven't gone high enough or logged enough to notice it with JB4.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
This is defiantly one for George. Let me know what you find out. I always noticed this with JB1. I haven't gone high enough or logged enough to notice it with JB4.

It's puzzling me. My log on straight 93 looked great. I was all excited to see what the downpipe could do with some e85. Now I'm just scratching my head

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
It's puzzling me. My log on straight 93 looked great. I was all excited to see what the downpipe could do with some e85. Now I'm just scratching my head

I remember noticing in your logs before that your fuel trims were hovering around 40% and sometimes going as high as 50%, and George says in this thread's initial post to try not to let them exceed 40-45%. I don't know if you ever compensated for that, but mine are hovering a bit higher than usual at about 30% right now, and I was a bit higher than 20% before the IS20 swap. You might want to increase your open fuel loop value.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I remember noticing in your logs before that your fuel trims were hovering around 40% and sometimes going as high as 50%, and George says in this thread's initial post to try not to let them exceed 40-45%. I don't know if you ever compensated for that, but mine are hovering a bit higher than usual at about 30% right now, and I was a bit higher than 20% before the IS20 swap. You might want to increase your open fuel loop value.

So that would be the fuel trims? I'm at 36-44. My fuel open loop is where George said to set it. I think it's at 60. Should I change that? Where the dip occurs it's at 37 before itand at 36 during the dip. The JB4 is changing the target though

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Oh, I see. Yea I guess it isn't that. I don't know what it is, but the e85 file looks a lot smoother. I don't think I'm qualified to give you any more advice beyond this point :p.

On an exciting note, here's my most recent log: http://datazap.me/u/meltedsolid/is20-powah?log=0&data=0-1-3-4-11-15-18-25-26-27-28

It's baffling both George and I how well my engine is handling the turbo, he had to re-ask me if my engine is completely unmodded except for the turbo, and I got to tell him with a big smile on my face that not only is it unmodded, I'm also running 91 octane, which I had forgotten to tell him before hand. We're also baffled how well the clutch is handling it, as I believe I'm making around 310 wheel torques and I still don't even have the slightest hint of clutch slip in any gear. Because the logs are so clean, George said we could go further, but we would be entering "no mans land". I assume that means if I wanted I could have the fastest mk7 1.8t in the world! My most recent change has my 50-100mph time, which seems to be the most accurate indicator of power, down to ~6.3s from about 6.9s before we started adjusting with the JB4 and from about 8s before the turbo. Insane!

Last edited:

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Wow. That looks good. You need to get that down the track and see how it does. I always figured it would still make good power with the stock downpipe. It is so similar to the one on the gti. There is a guy in Florida though, who has a GSW with a stacked tune and the IS20 as well. He posted a video a week ago or so of him beating a stage 1 gti.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Also, George helped me solve my problem I think. I won't know till tomorrow. Have to adjust a couple of things

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Wow. That looks good. You need to get that down the track and see how it does. I always figured it would still make good power with the stock downpipe. It is so similar to the one on the gti. There is a guy in Florida though, who has a GSW with a stacked tune and the IS20 as well. He posted a video a week ago or so of him beating a stage 1 gti.

Yea, my best estimate is that I am about on par or slightly better power and torque wise with a low torque stage 1 GTI, but I also have a 100-200 lb weight advantage.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Oh, I see. Yea I guess it isn't that. I don't know what it is, but the e85 file looks a lot smoother. I don't think I'm qualified to give you any more advice beyond this point :p.

On an exciting note, here's my most recent log: http://datazap.me/u/meltedsolid/is20-powah?log=0&data=0-1-3-4-11-15-18-25-26-27-28

It's baffling both George and I how well my engine is handling the turbo, he had to re-ask me if my engine is completely unmodded except for the turbo, and I got to tell him with a big smile on my face that not only is it unmodded, I'm also running 91 octane, which I had forgotten to tell him before hand. We're also baffled how well the clutch is handling it, as I believe I'm making around 310 wheel torques and I still don't even have the slightest hint of clutch slip in any gear. Because the logs are so clean, George said we could go further, but we would be entering "no mans land". I assume that means if I wanted I could have the fastest mk7 1.8t in the world! My most recent change has my 50-100mph time, which seems to be the most accurate indicator of power, down to ~6.3s from about 6.9s before we started adjusting with the JB4 and from about 8s before the turbo. Insane!

Very good news!