GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I've finally started the tuning process with George, expect to see some more logs once I'm finished! For now I think my car is adapting itself to the new turbo pretty quickly. My 40-100mph time is down to 7.75s from ~9s, my 50-70mph time is down to 2.2s. I can't wait to see where it goes after I begin to add boost!

Last edited:

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
It feels a tad bit faster, but no more than the jump from APR to stacking with the JB4. That being said, when I took the log it's peak boost was slightly higher than I had ever seen and it was holding around 1psi more at 6000rpm, which feels about right. Thankfully I was able to log in almost the exactly the same ambient temperature as the first time I logged with map 4 and just APR stage 1 (10 C vs 10.5 C), and the IAT after 4000rpm is virtually identical, so this is a very good comparison. I also decided to look at the lag, and while it felt basically identical while driving, apparantly it took ~3s and 900rpm to build to max boost from 1900rpm vs ~2.2s and 650rpm with the IS12. I was surprised the difference is so great in the logs because it really doesn't feel like much when driving. I guess more importantly it's capable of easily reaching it's target boost at considerably less than 3000rpm, which is very impressive for so much power.

I'll try a write up, as I think I can currently run through all of the steps in my head, but I didn't take many pictures so I would need to work with what I have.

An IS20 swap takes a LOT more time and effort to perform than just a downpipe swap, but if all you care about is the price per performance (like me) then an IS20 swap would not only have a greater power yield than a downpipe, but is also cheaper than the average downpipe. Who would have thought that one day upgrading your turbo would be cheaper than upgrading a piece of piping! This turbo swap is well worth it!

I've finally started the tuning process with George, expect to see some more logs once I'm finished! For now I think my car is adapting itself to the new turbo pretty quickly. My 40-100mph time is down to 7.75s from ~9s, my 50-70mph time is down to 2.2s. I can't wait to see where it goes after I begin to add boost!

Awesome, thanks. Would love to see this documented a bit if you have the time. Definitely a lot more involved than just switching out the DP! I watched one video of the swap on a GTI and it doesn't look too bad, but I'm sure there are a few challenges and moments of expletive outbursts, LOL. I would probably want to do some of the steps with another pair of hands, preferably with someone that has done the swap before. I have done quite a bit of work on my own and even rebuilt one motor by myself (300zx), but that was almost 15 years ago! Seriously thinking about doing the swap along with a quality catted downpipe once I am out of warranty.

What your not looking at in the APR website is the acceleration times and their differences. The dyno graph does not show the whole story. Nearly 1.3 seconds quicker to 100 mph is quite a noticeable difference by just adding the downpipe and accompanied tune. I have a hard time believing that it's not worth it. I did a downpipe last week. I'm peaking at 2.5 more psi than the stock downpipe on straight 93, and I'm carrying an additional 1.5 psi at 6400 rpm on just 93 than I could with e85 on the stock downpipe. I'm also reaching higher boost from 2,500-3,500. So basically the downpipe allows me to surpass what I needed e85 to hit with the stock downpipe. I'm not sure how that's not worth it. I forgot to add that my downpipe was $90 used. I spent another $30 on some new clamps, adapter and wraps. $120, done in a little over an hour on jack stands.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying it isn't worth it. I was just saying that the bang for your buck isn't near what it is for the GTI. The "area under the curve" is definitely improved as shown on the APR dyno and that will certainly be demonstrated in acceleration times. I was also comparing doing just the DP vs. the IS20 upgrade. The IS20 seems to to be the real cure for next stage power for us, and it doesn't even require flash tuning! While I am under warranty, the risk/reward factor isn't enough for me personally, so I have chosen to spend my money elsewhere until then (JB4, DG springs, wheels/tires, custom cat-back for looks/sound). For warranty work, I don't want to have to remove a DP, my schedule is too busy for that. And, when I do go forward with a DP, I want to go with a quality catted/resonated version to keep the smell/sound tame since I often have kids in the car, one with asthma. When I was in my 20's, or even 30's, I would have swapped it out already LOL. Been there done that with my Mazdaspeed.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I think a lot of the smell issues are guys who don't have the clamps sealed correctly. The DI engines run rather lean. Stock and JB4 at least. Maybe running a flash tune also causes some of the smell issues. I have seen the logs and some are quite rich. However, I may end up adding a cat if I do start to notice a smell. Up until 1998, just about every car I owned did not have a cat. Never had smell issues

whitewagen

Passed Driver's Ed
While not as exciting as the IS20 swap, I thought I'd share my most recent log. I was having issues with my AFR being really erratic (logs posted back one page). George suggested disconnecting the AFR wire for now. He said they are getting a car in with similar issues to try to sort it out as well. I've only run one log since disconnecting the wire, but it looks a lot better:

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
While not as exciting as the IS20 swap, I thought I'd share my most recent log. I was having issues with my AFR being really erratic (logs posted back one page). George suggested disconnecting the AFR wire for now. He said they are getting a car in with similar issues to try to sort it out as well. I've only run one log since disconnecting the wire, but it looks a lot better:

Looks a lot better. what gas do you have?

Ton

Go Kart Newbie

I don't have before and after times. But with the is20 and downpipe on my car, my wife says it makes her "stomach sink" and my son says it "feels crazy".

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
I don't have before and after times. But with the is20 and downpipe on my car, my wife says it makes her "stomach sink" and my son says it "feels crazy".

LOL, that means the mods are working! What do your JB4 boost settings look like with the IS20? From what I understand, you are not stacked, correct?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
This is just too awesome.
I'm just going to live vicariously through you all for now.
Until I get my business up and running, get some disposable income and go is38.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
LOL, that means the mods are working! What do your JB4 boost settings look like with the IS20? From what I understand, you are not stacked, correct?

Not stacked. I have not logged since November. I'll Post my last log and settings when I get home.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I can't resist but to post a log: http://datazap.me/u/meltedsolid/log-1488249337?log=0&data=0-1-2-4-11-25-26-27-28

This is ~0-110mph, and starts just after I let off the clutch in 1st gear. I think the timestamp is accurate to as soon as I began moving because it starts at 0.125s. According to this my 0-60 was 5.2s, my 0-100 was 10.9s, and my 40-100 is 7.4s, which is way faster than I could have imagined. Compare it to what car and driver found for the 2015 mustang 5.0, and my car is faster once you get past 40mph... I'll need to get a second set of proof to convince myself that the logs aren't being optimistic, but damn it's fast now. The feel is on par with the jump from stock to stage 1.

Last edited:

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
I can't resist but to post a log: http://datazap.me/u/meltedsolid/log-1488249337?log=0&data=0-1-2-4-11-25-26-27-28

This is ~0-110mph, and starts just after I let off the clutch in 1st gear. I think the timestamp is accurate to as soon as I began moving because it starts at 0.125s. According to this my 0-60 was 5.2s, my 0-100 was 10.9s, and my 40-100 is 7.4s, which is way faster than I could have imagined. Compare it to what car and driver found for the 2015 mustang 5.0, and my car is faster once you get past 40mph... I'll need to get a second set of proof to convince myself that the logs aren't being optimistic, but damn it's fast now. The feel is on par with the jump from stock to stage 1.

Very exciting!

ChrisTSI

Ready to race!
Any 91 oct map 6 suggestions for 1.8tsi automatic , id prefer something around map 2 aggression without as much timing issues

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Not stacked. I have not logged since November. I'll Post my last log and settings when I get home.

Cool, thanks!

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Any 91 oct map 6 suggestions for 1.8tsi automatic , id prefer something around map 2 aggression without as much timing issues

All of my logs have been on 91 octane, so you might be able to model yours off of mine, but I think the way I had it setup was very climate specific. I am at 4500ft so my ambient pressure is ~12.4psi. If your intake temperatures aren't too far off of mine and you are at sea level then you could probably use boost targeting to try and match the boost I was getting minus 2.3psi, though because you're in Canada I bet it's colder. This is a log from the final map I settled with on the IS12 before upgrading: http://datazap.me/u/meltedsolid/log-1486246891?log=0&data=1-2-3-4