GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB1 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread.

sethdude

Pobody's Nerfect.
Installed the jb1 on my wife's car today. It was a second hand rev 1 unit. Plug D as stated seems to be near impossible to get from the top. Her car is stock height (for now) so I didn't even need to jack the car up to access it from the bottom. I taped over the A plug and set it aside since her car didn't have the connector. Drove it around the block to clear the dash lights. Throttle response seems improved which would have been my biggest complaint on her car to begin with. Didn't really beat on it since the car was cold and we now need to fill it with 93. Will report back what she thinks of it later today.

For future purposes, there's no need to disconnect the battery when installing/uninstalling the JB1. Just pop the hood and don't open any doors for 10 minutes before unplugging and sensors. The ECU will be in sleep mode, and there won't be any codes or dash lights. Unless you have a VagCom to clear the codes, VW will see the codes at your next visit, possibly causing them to flag your car TD1.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
The throttle response comment is purely placebo. The unit doesn't activate till 9PSI, and it doesn't affect throttle mapping. It simply adds boost once that 9psi threshold is reached.

Maybe it was unplugging the battery then. Used to have a definite lag on initial input before the car would actually start to move.

For future purposes, there's no need to disconnect the battery when installing/uninstalling the JB1. Just pop the hood and don't open any doors for 10 minutes before unplugging and sensors. The ECU will be in sleep mode, and there won't be any codes or dash lights. Unless you have a VagCom to clear the codes, VW will see the codes at your next visit, possibly causing them to flag your car TD1.

I have vcds and my best friend is the service manager.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Flag you for unhooking the negative on the battery? :confused::confused: I sure hope not or we are all doomed.

:p would suck to get a TD1 from a flat battery!

BurgeredPolo

Guys, I have a 2015 Polo GTI which runs the 1.8 ea888 engine IS12 turbo. It is UK spec so have the 8 injectors, direct and inlet.

Regarding the JB1 settings, can I run the same as the 1.8 golf as per this thread?

I have high flow panel air filter and turbo muffler delete fitted along with the BMS JB1.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Guys, I have a 2015 Polo GTI which runs the 1.8 ea888 engine IS12 turbo. It is UK spec so have the 8 injectors, direct and inlet.

Regarding the JB1 settings, can I run the same as the 1.8 golf as per this thread?

I have high flow panel air filter and turbo muffler delete fitted along with the BMS JB1.

On the Polo you going to want to run a maximum of 4.6 boost safety maximum if you on 98Ron and 25 fuel open loop. It runs different settings to the 1.8T Golf as found in the US.

Slick99

Ready to race!

U got the same engine spec as my euro A3 1.8T but your is 192hp stock. Is ur car dsg or manual? I had JB1 with map 1 boost safety set on 4.2 due to 95 ROn cudnt push more. You can push upto 4.8 with 98RON but not further until u get bolt-on parts.

Sent from my HTC 10

BurgeredPolo

Thanks George and Slick!

What does the Golf run differently that allows more boost to be run in the US spec?

My car is manual. What bolt on parts allow more boost to be run? I use 98RON fuel

Cheers

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks George and Slick!

What does the Golf run differently that allows more boost to be run in the US spec?

My car is manual. What bolt on parts allow more boost to be run? I use 98RON fuel

Cheers

Its not a matter of more boost. Remember your car is 192hp vs the US Golf of 170hp as well.
The bolt on mods add efficiency to the engine and yield power without having to crank boost higher.
DSG7 is the weakness on the car so high torque is not recommended. I am based in South Africa so have done quite a few Polo GTI hands on and the 4.6 mark is the sweet spot for that car on good fuel.

Slick99

Ready to race!

Slick99

Ready to race!
Its not a matter of more boost. Remember your car is 192hp vs the US Golf of 170hp as well.
The bolt on mods add efficiency to the engine and yield power without having to crank boost higher.
DSG7 is the weakness on the car so high torque is not recommended. I am based in South Africa so have done quite a few Polo GTI hands on and the 4.6 mark is the sweet spot for that car on good fuel.
George his car is manual polo gti i guess it can hold more torque than dsg7, u mentioned map6 4.6psi is the best for polo gti shud i increase my boost to 4.6 from 4.4psi?

Sent from my HTC 10

BurgeredPolo

Yes, my car is manual. No DSG worries but got to look after the clutch.

George, have you an idea of what power increase the downpipe adds to a car running the JB1?

kkingma

Ready to race!
They are the same unit
The newer Rev2 units though have a plug fix that allows for use of map 6. With the older rev 1 unit you need to try get the unused plug put in a difficult place. See post 2 of this thread where it is covered.

And I assume the JB1 for the R is compatible on the 1.8t also?