GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boosting on a Budget- 19birel's MK7.5 Build

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Didn't really get to work on it yesterday, but I'm hung up on the infamous oil feed. My M8 socket is too big to fit under the turbo to pull it off, someone suggested using a T40 bit and I was able to get that seated on the bolt using a modified slim ratchet. However, it didn't feel like it was seated firmly enough to break it loose and I didn't want to risk stripping it so waiting for some triple square bits to arrive tomorrow to have another go. Once I get that off the is20 will come right out!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004WIWN1U

Get that stubby M8 and a high tooth count 1/4" ratchet with an extension

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Haven't had any time to wrench on this thing with the holidays and weather not cooperating when I do I have a little time. All I did over the past couple weeks was get the turbo out and install the wastegate actuator (I used the APR recommend method of measuring the actuator rod as I'm reusing my IS20 actuator)...that is until tonight!

Before I got rained out I was able to get the turbo back in with the oil and coolant lines reinstalled (and yes I used some Liqui Moly turbo additive in the turbo so I don't dry start it)

Hoping to have some time to work on it tomorrow, from here it should be pretty straight forward, a leisurely couple hours of work should have her back on the ground and running! Maybe I'll stay up late tonight and start working on a base map for it 😅

Oh and I'm praying I didn't kill my battery leaving it sit for the past couple weeks, the keyless entry wasn't working when I went out to wrench on it and when I connected the trickle it said 0% lol, letting it charge over night and seeing if we can't revive it.

Last edited:

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Welp, the car is back on the road! After buttoning it up, I refilled the coolant, checked the oil and then let it run up to temp whilst in the air so I could scan for leaks. She checked out so I dropped her down, put together a base map, and took her for a spin!

To the untrained eye, nothing looks out of place, even the stock heatshield is retained.

Did a little free mod and opened up the ports in the air scoop

I put together a basemap running a measly 18psi, and according to simos tools it generating 341hp (assuming this is to the crank). Very rudimentary, conservative map as I'm starting from square 1, but even still I was impressed! once it hits peak boost it pulls all the way up to redline, power delivery is smooth and not as peaky as the stock turbo. Obviously compared to IS20 there is "lag" but overall the power delivery has a relatively smooth feel. It not being as peaky might be advantageous for the track as well as the car will be less eager to spin the tyres when applying the throttle. Overall I'm happy so far as a starting point, and I'll continue to update as the tuning progresses!

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5

Today the GTI made it's first commute to the new office!

I've also been working on the tune! Peak boost is still more or less the same, I've mostly just been making refinements. The plan is to get the tune as dialed as I can on low boost that way I 1) have a solid foundation to crank things up from and 2) have a solid understanding of how to turn things up effectively and safely. I know I'm being a little cautious, but I'm in no rush. I also have the limitation of the stock clutch so I can't party too hard until that's gone which likely won't be for a little bit.

I noticed some knock on the logs, nothing concerning, but it was drawn out...plugs? coils? How about my Porsche engine cover not being secure enough and triggering false knock readings from the sensors. Removed cover, bye bye knock😂 That said I'm running RS7 plugs with ~6k on them so I have a set of APR plugs that are heat range 9 on the way (I'm too cheap to drop $200 on the equivalent NGKs lol). I also have a new air filter on the way, and some fresh oil already here so she'll get a full service later this week so she can handle the sauce coming her way!

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
NGK Rutheniums will be fine, and they're like $40-45 at your local auto parts store.

On the subject of knock, how "drawn out" it is depends on your rate of decay tables. Only worry about when it increases from the prior frame.
What heat range are the NGK Ruths?

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Is it fake news that I should go 2 steps colder on the plugs? Or is it more of a case by case thing based on how the car is tuned?

I'm already one step colder with the RS7 plugs, maybe I'll hold off on installing the APR plugs until the logs illustrate a need...

scrllock

Autocross Champion
if you're using a stock turbo on a street car there's not much reason to go colder, they'll just foul faster. tuners tell you to go colder because it's simpler to watch for misfires and change them more frequently.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
So, as you may recall I threw the Pretorias back on just prior to the turbo install, but they were still wrapped in the stock and properly trashed Pirelli P7 widow makers. Shopping around for fresh rubber, I knew I wanted a summer tyre so it could double as my rain setup for the track. Seeing as the Apexes also need fresh rubber I wasn't inclined to spend a ton of money so I hopped on TireRack to see what as on special offer and picked up this set of 280TW Bridgestone Potenza S001 run flats for $498. They feel fine, but I need to wait for warmer weather to really put them through their paces in the twisty stuff. Glad to be off the P7s though

Next I tossed in a BMC drop-in filter as the factory paper one was about due anyways. People debate about filtration of aftermarket filters vs OEM, to that I respond that BMC filters are OEM for the GT3 RS, so if there good enough those it'll work for my 2.0T haha

Also removed this tube on the bottom of the airbox in hopes of generating some extra boosty boi noises

So where are we at with the tune? Making good progress- currently getting the wg settings and boost curve dialed. Learning a lot with each revision, it has been a slow process, but I'm enjoying it. The biggest struggle is finding a time when the roads aren't slick to go out and datalog.​

dood.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Did removing that hose make more wooshies? Asking for a friend.