GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the MK7 GTI ECU Upgrade!

blackcat1

Banned
Really? Awesome!

I heard that they had a log of every time ODIS/VAS/whatever flashed your car, so they knew the date it was flashed and how many times. If they read your ECU and the date and flash count doesnt match whatever it supposed to be, TD1!

They have no way of knowing what it should be.

joema2

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2010 Golf GTI 6MT
Really? Awesome!

I heard that they had a log of every time ODIS/VAS/whatever flashed your car, so they knew the date it was flashed and how many times. If they read your ECU and the date and flash count doesnt match whatever it supposed to be, TD1!

Since your car can be serviced by various dealers -- even in different countries -- the only way for "them" to know if your ECU is flashed would be for the dealership equipment to immediately upload each flash event to a global database. However ODIS does not require a network connection, hence they cannot all be uploaded. If the data is not reliably uploaded, there is no way to determine subsequently if the flash count is too high or low.

This is different than TD1 which if not uploaded just doesn't get flagged.

If each VW-initiated flash event was not uploaded with 100% reliability, subsequent scans would produce a false positive. IOW a VW-initiated flash took place but was not uploaded, which would look like a non-approved flash.

There are about 1,000 VW dealerships in the U.S. and about 7,000 in Europe. The probability of that happening would be very high. I don't see them undertaking that cost and risk.

gtiw7

Ready to race!
Software is now available for the ROW market!

tuned tonight but back to stock now, I must say amazing power! and it's only 91octane file.

but there was an occasional slight click noise when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th when taking it to redline; DSG. dealer was suspecting knock, but voltage was fine at around 1. and no misfire. so dealer took an extract from my ECU to send it to US folks to investigate it and make sure it becomes perfect as it should be.
then am tuned again :)

.:KindiGTI

Go Kart Champion
tuned tonight but back to stock now, I must say amazing power! and it's only 91octane file.

but there was an occasional slight click noise when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th when taking it to redline; DSG. dealer was suspecting knock, but voltage was fine at around 1. and no misfire. so dealer took an extract from my ECU to send it to US folks to investigate it and make sure it becomes perfect as it should be.
then am tuned again :)
Mabroooooooooooook finally!!!

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
I just had stage 1 installed at Achtuning in Redmond. Wow, what a difference. I wasn't able to give it WOT since I was in rush hour traffic, but the power bump in the midrange is very noticeable. The shift from 1st to 2nd gear with the DSG in D is a lot jerkier than it used to be at partial throttle, maybe it needs to adapt more. Stay tuned for a full review when I've put a few hundred miles on the car.

The oil temp is also running cooler than before.

luka1

Ready to race!
I just had stage 1 installed at Achtuning in Redmond. Wow, what a difference. I wasn't able to give it WOT since I was in rush hour traffic, but the power bump in the midrange is very noticeable. The shift from 1st to 2nd gear with the DSG in D is a lot jerkier than it used to be at partial throttle, maybe it needs to adapt more. Stay tuned for a full review when I've put a few hundred miles on the car.

The oil temp is also running cooler than before.

Keep us updated on that jerk when shifting from 1st to 2nd. I've heard this from quite a few people so far, and I would like to know if it smooths out as you drive it. Thanks!

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Arin, can you go into detail why the watercooled exhaust manifold allows you to make such a powerful tune? I saw you made a brief post about this on golfmk6.com (in the please make a new apr stage 1 file). However, I'm really interested to know why this is such a huge advantage.

I guess I don't understand why it's such a big deal to decrease EGT's. Can EGT's get so hot that they could ruin things after the exhaust manifold?

joema2

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2010 Golf GTI 6MT
The general problem is EGT must be controlled, typically by fuel enrichment. This costs power and fuel economy, since you are running air/fuel ratio on the rich side of peak power. A water-cooled exhaust manifold gives the tuner more freedom to tune for power vs wasting fuel to control EGT. More info: http://articles.sae.org/12184/

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Results from south africa:

376 ft-lbs of torque and 337 HP on our 91 AKI octane file (95 RON in the rest of the world)

Results from Israel

Just shy of 300 WHP.

Results from Brasil (video):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=659846297427090&fref=nf

326 HP.

Goodspeed in Arizona did around 300 HP on 91 octane in 100F weather!

APR Europe in Germany

345 HP at on high octane fuel

Last edited:

blackcat1

Banned
Hi Arin! I got flashed today with stage 1 98 ron file, and I have a question.

I did some tests and the cutoff RPM, where it will auto upshift, is happening at 6800 rpm. Isn't it supposed to rev all the way to 7100?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
It should on the manual cars, but on the DSG cars, you'll still shift at the same RPM. This is because it's handled by the transmission controller. This is something else that needs to be flashed to raise the rev limiter higher. We are working on this at the moment. When you ultimately get our DSG software, you can shift at a higher RPM.

That said, you will find the car is actually faster if you shift at a lower RPM. I'll get you those figures.