GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the MK7 GTI ECU Upgrade!

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
If there are any stage 2 APR folks out in the Toronto area I would be happy to do some rolls with my DSG 2 mod stage 2 ED car as well.

I am very impressed at how APR has really improved their tune since release. It is clearly delivering great power. Now if you folks could get an at home flasher solution.....

[emoji106]

I'm not APR but will be GIAC Stage 2 soon.. Heh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Messiah

Ready to race!
..last two rolled on the throttle to prevent kick down because it is right between 2-3gear for the DSG. His setup is about 200lbs lighter than me and my car too.
I guess you don't like using the paddle shifters? I hate the default shifting modes and drive my car exclusively using the paddle shifter. At least it makes me think I have some sort of control :D

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
I guess you don't like using the paddle shifters? I hate the default shifting modes and drive my car exclusively using the paddle shifter. At least it makes me think I have some sort of control :D

It'll still kick down in M if you push the throttle to floor and hit the kickdown switch:-/

DAS_STIG

Banned
It'll still kick down in M if you push the throttle to floor and hit the kickdown switch:-/

easy fix - don't hit the kickdown switch. can still be at 100% throttle without hitting it.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion

easy fix - don't hit the kickdown switch. can still be at 100% throttle without hitting it.

My right foot gets too excited and if I try to jump on the throttle and all of a sudden, I have accidentally hit it that switch so many times before that I do anything to avoid it now lol. The other thing is that I drive a Porsche with PDK on the track all the time and its shifting is so much faster and precise, the DSG's paddle shifting is slow/lazy in comparison so I always end up over-revving the engine past its power band with the GTI... S mode seems to hit the shift points more consistently than I do. DSG tunes should fix both of these issues.

DAS_STIG

Banned
My right foot gets too excited and if I try to jump on the throttle and all of a sudden, I have accidentally hit it that switch so many times before that I do anything to avoid it now lol. The other thing is that I drive a Porsche with PDK on the track all the time and its shifting is so much faster and precise, the DSG's paddle shifting is slow/lazy in comparison so I always end up over-revving the engine past its power band with the GTI... S mode seems to hit the shift points more consistently than I do. DSG tunes should fix both of these issues.

i think it may be something with the mk7. i could swear that my mkv dsg reacted much quicker to up/down shift inputs, whether from the shift lever or the paddles. the mk7 DSG is a much better unit overall in terms of gearing and daily driving, but i have also noticed your complaints.

what do you consider the power band for the stage 2 gti? many thought shifting at about 5500 rpm in the mkv/6 was proper because that is when power started going down (even on stage 2), but they seemed to have ignored that gearing/power to the ground actually resulted in slower acceleration by doing so.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
i think it may be something with the mk7. i could swear that my mkv dsg reacted much quicker to up/down shift inputs, whether from the shift lever or the paddles. the mk7 DSG is a much better unit overall in terms of gearing and daily driving, but i have also noticed your complaints.

what do you consider the power band for the stage 2 gti? many thought shifting at about 5500 rpm in the mkv/6 was proper because that is when power started going down (even on stage 2), but they seemed to have ignored that gearing/power to the ground actually resulted in slower acceleration by doing so.

The Mk7 stage 1 hit hard at 4K then pulls until 7K whereas going past 6K in the Mk6 makes little sense. Stage 2 is probably the same.
The one pro/con of the Mk7's DSG is that it shift speed seems to be more dependent on throttle input. At full throttle it shifts very fast but at lower throttle it shifts slower than the Mk6. Atleast that's how it feels. S doesn't like to go beyond 6500.

DAS_STIG

Banned
The Mk7 stage 1 hit hard at 4K then pulls until 7K whereas going past 6K in the Mk6 makes little sense. Stage 2 is probably the same.
The one pro/con of the Mk7's DSG is that it shift speed seems to be more dependent on throttle input. At full throttle it shifts very fast but at lower throttle it shifts slower than the Mk6. Atleast that's how it feels. S doesn't like to go beyond 6500.

shift speeds are great yes, but we're talking about reaction time. for me it doesn't seem to matter, there is always a delay between me hitting the paddle and the shift beginning.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
what do you consider the power band for the stage 2?

I haven't tested it out with any time teeing devices for been to the 1320ft track in this car yet, but based on how the car feels alone I think around 6500rpms is the sweet spot for this engine and gearing.

shift speeds are great yes, but we're talking about reaction time. for me it doesn't seem to matter, there is always a delay between me hitting the paddle and the shift beginning.

Exactly, same here. If I grab the paddle at 6500 sometimes it won't shift until 6600-6700RPMs while at other times it's quicker.... Very inconsistent and slow to respond compared to some other units on the market. The gearbox itself is geared very well, it's just the programing.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr

Just tried it out, def a delay except at full throttle and when the car is expecting the up shift. Then switched the S mode and it doesn't hold past 6K. My theory is the new DSG is stronger but has a higher safety threshold than the one in the Mk6 and engages the clutches slower.

Edit/update: the Mk6's DSG at full throttle shifts within 0-100 RPMs, max, and that's from the time the paddles click . The Mk7's is much more fickle like you said. Automatic behavior is better in the Mk7 however.

Last edited:

805mk7gti

Ready to race!
I've had stage 2 91 octane for almost a full week now and at first was only seeing as high as 22psi tapering down to 12psi. Perhaps it just needed time to adapt as now I'm seeing 25psi in the same weather conditions.

The Messiah

Ready to race!
So glad someone else is saying this. The DSG is good, but I still find it slow compared to the auto box on a 335i. It's good enough for what I do, but I definitely would like it to be more snappy. I think it's nothing to complain about, but it could definitely be made a lot quicker.

Didn't know about the kick down. Never happened to me. I just find in the first 3 gears I can't hammer to hard because of all the wheelspin.