GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Downpipe before any tuning?

buyingconstant7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 3 Door 6spd
I just got my 2015 GTI, as a CPO unit through the VW dealer I work at. It's completely stock, and I am getting the mod bug. I would love to do a tune but I want to wait, and want to focus on noise right now. I am pretty loyal to APR, and want a downpipe from them, but I notice everyone who has one(or nearly), is already stage 2! I'm assuming it's still okay to do this DP on a stock car? And they say the gains are noticeable, but they don't give numbers on any hp/tq figures. Any ideas?

dah90

Ready to race!
I looked into this myself a while back. From everything I found it is highly advised not to install a dp without a stage 2 tune. Something about making the car run lean and potentially cause engine damage. I’m sure before long somebody with more knowledge will chime in.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
If you only focus on the noise now, just do the muffler delete which is way cheaper than APR dp which might or might not throw the CEL without the tune.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I wanted to increase exhaust tone and i added AWE track exhaust. Exhaust tone was better but still less that what i want. So i am thinking about adding AWE downpipe to the set up as it will not show up CEL and does not require a tune. There are not many members with this setup and i am not sure how the drone will be.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I looked into this myself a while back. From everything I found it is highly advised not to install a dp without a stage 2 tune. Something about making the car run lean and potentially cause engine damage. I’m sure before long somebody with more knowledge will chime in.

This is incorrect, the ECU has plenty of adjustment and will never let the car go lean or over speed the turbo with an aftermarket intake, exhaust, intercooler.

All you'll need is an o2 spacer to prevent CEL, but even if it does come on it has no performance effect on the car. Mines come on three times and gone out on it's own within a few miles (I'm APR stage 1 with a full turbo back exhaust, which also has no o2 sensor function control like stock)

This all has been covered in several threads already if you search. Google mk7 forum _________(then your question) and you'll find all kinds of info.

The only downside to a downpipe is the potential for exhaust drone at cruising speeds on the highway. More on that here: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33309

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I wanted to increase exhaust tone and i added AWE track exhaust. Exhaust tone was better but still less that what i want. So i am thinking about adding AWE downpipe to the set up as it will not show up CEL and does not require a tune. There are not many members with this setup and i am not sure how the drone will be.

It'll drone, see the link I just posted

Matias

Passed Driver's Ed
I have been running APR DP with no tune and css muffler with no CEL for 1 month now, i can tell you just gonna feel better power all over the rev range and a very deep exhaust note, at first its loud af but once you put some miles on it it calms down.
No issues at all too but planning to go stage 2 next week.
Im on a 15 gti if that makes any difference