GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone running an aftermarket DP without a gasket?

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Ok, so I am not crazy. The UR DP is machined to fit inside the stock housing. I will continue without a gasket. Thanks everyone!

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
The gasket can easily be missed on the stock downpipe. Sometimes it seats itself in far enough down that you would think it is actually just part of it. Either way, you should use one to help keep the exhaust gases where they belong. Even if you don't smell the fumes, you might be breathing it all in every time you come to a stop.

Edit: I don't remember if the gasket got stuck on the turbo side or DP side when I did my downpipe last year, but I initially missed it and went back looking for it because i knew there should be one there.

That makes sense got to be on the turbo side and I must have missed it

JFertittaMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Should I have used a new Gasket with the APR Downpipe? I didn't see one when I took off the stock one didn't see anything on either the factory piece or the turbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perry01

Ready to race!
Now that I think of it, I remember having to use a small screw driver to remove the gasket from the turbo side of my MK6 when installing a DP. It was wedged in there pretty good due to the high temps on the turbo.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Now that I think of it, I remember having to use a small screw driver to remove the gasket from the turbo side of my MK6 when installing a DP. It was wedged in there pretty good due to the high temps on the turbo.

Mk6 also used a traditional flange and gasket style connection for the downpipe. I would always expect one to be used in that scenario, I just always thought one of the benefits of the vband connection was the machined surfaces and the lack of a gasket being necessary.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
When I removed the oem dp the gasket was stuck on the turbo side. Would have taken a flat head screw driver or something to scrap it off. It is not a very big gasket. I will double check the oem dp and see if part of it stuck on the lip? You will know/hear when it is not sealed properly under boost btw.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Good call. Switched out the DP last night (getting efficient, was about 45m-1 hr) and noticed the stock gasket was deep into the turbo collar. It's there, just squished. Have a slight leak reusing it, looks like I will have to buy another.
Thanks everyone!

Further info:
Called dealer - referral block on the gasket, need VIN to order. Seems to look like VW wants to know who is replacing exhaust parts so maybe they can flag in the system?

Last edited:

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Good call. Switched out the DP last night (getting efficient, was about 45m-1 hr) and noticed the stock gasket was deep into the turbo collar. It's there, just squished. Have a slight leak reusing it, looks like I will have to buy another.
Thanks everyone!

Further info:
Called dealer - referral block on the gasket, need VIN to order. Seems to look like VW wants to know who is replacing exhaust parts so maybe they can flag in the system?

I searched part number provided above and found for $11 on amazon.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I am in the Great White North. :D

You need to start your own Amazon up there. You can call it Rio Grande, or Mississippi or even St Lawrence. I'm here for further brainstorming.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
LOL. We have Amazon Canada!
Suppliers for VW auto parts are scarce though. I did find the part through german OEM though (Canadian supplier). Cheaper than the US too! only 7.50 in monopoly money.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Gasket sits on the turbo side, most don't notice it because it doesn't fall out when removing the dp.

Last edited:

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
Every MK7 has the gasket on the TURBO SIDE. You will need to get a pick to pull it out as it gets seated in there pretty far. Even if you don't think you need one you will never have an exact metal to metal seat (turbo to DP) and thus will always have leak without that gasket. It might be a VERY SMALL leak, but it will be there, and especially under your peak boost moments.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
LOL. We have Amazon Canada!
Suppliers for VW auto parts are scarce though. I did find the part through german OEM though (Canadian supplier). Cheaper than the US too! only 7.50 in monopoly money.

I need in Canada where did u find?

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
Is the part # above the one we need?