GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AliExpress Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Came in today 24 days after placing the order. First impressions - looks exactly like the pictures online. Stitching looks good, overall quality feels nice, feels solid. The "perforated leather" is actually dimpled and not perforated. Not that this is good or bad, just an observation. Not sure that the leather is genuine leather but either way it does appear and feel to be a quality material. I don't have the carbon trim yet but it should be here soon.

View attachment 284210

FYI, dimpled leather is what VAG and basically any other manufacturer uses in all OEM steering wheel applications. It is always what you want.

Perforated leather shouldn’t be used on steering wheel applications because it isn’t maintainable like dimpled is. Over time dirt, skin oils and hand creams (if you use them) and cleaning products can penetrate and cause a breakdown in materials and adhesives with fully perforated leather. You do not want that in your highest touch area in your car.

Source: My upholsterer in NJ who sources leather from some of the same VAG suppliers.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
While we're doing 'don't forget's, don't forget to replace that center bolt. Idk if they're stretch bolts or if they say to replace it because of the loctite or whatever, but I wasn't gonna screw around and have my steering wheel not be attached at some critical point. Bolt is cheap at the dealer, pn N90799102.
Of you can just put another couple drops of blue loc-tite on, no sense chucking the metal when it’s perfectly good.

Missingparts

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI
FYI, dimpled leather is what VAG and basically any other manufacturer uses in all OEM steering wheel applications. It is always what you want.

Perforated leather shouldn’t be used on steering wheel applications because it isn’t maintainable like dimpled is. Over time dirt, skin oils and hand creams (if you use them) and cleaning products can penetrate and cause a breakdown in materials and adhesives with fully perforated leather. You do not want that in your highest touch area in your car.

Source: My upholsterer in NJ who sources leather from some of the same VAG suppliers.

Good to know, that makes a lot of since.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Thanks for everyone's input. I ordered one from AliExpress "KCDCP Carbon Store". They were pretty responsive and use FedEx IP for shipping. I'll post pictures when it gets here.
can you share the link you used for the wheel and cf trim?

I've been trying to find KCDCP Carbon Store on AE and I'm having no luck.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Missingparts

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI
can you share the link you used for the wheel and cf trim?

I've been trying to find KCDCP Carbon Store on AE and I'm having no luck.

Trim from these guys

ALL EXCELLENT Official Store
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtKJNwc

Steering wheel from here

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $120.00 50%OFF | Custom Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel for Volkswagen GOLF MK7 GTI R GTE GTS RLINE POLO SCIROCCO GTD
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrJAbe8

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
No forged carbon available?

Send them a message, they can probably work with the steering wheel factory and get you whatever you want.

Babou

Car(s)
GTI mk7.5
They do ! They’re amazing
FE9DB041-29BC-45E0-A6A2-B5660539115A.jpeg

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Anyone hooked up one of these with the LCD/lights option?

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Question, maybe I'm not doing it right but the Ali Express page specifies only Mk7.5 models. Is it the same wheel you'd use on a 2017 Mk7? MT by the way.