GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Absolute Best Oil

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
M1 isn't full synthetic? How about castrol? Can I trust anything in life anymore??

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Lol nope it's not. I believe GC (German Castrol) is, but so many now are still blends even though they advertise otherwise. Just pick an oil you like and get an analysis done for the first few changes so you can see if you can extend your intervals.

I personally change mine at 5k miles just because $40 (I do my own changes) is worth the extra protection to me.

soto

Passed Driver's Ed
Shell Rotella T6 5W/40

All the mazdaspeed3 guys use shell rotella T6. After years of debating and oil analysis, that was the best for the direct injection Mazda motor. I think it just depends on oil analysis to see which oils help the motor wear the best

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
Also whatever you do stay away from mobil 1
With all those analysis that were done on the duramax's guess which oil did the worst.

I don't doubt the tests but I ran Mobil1 in my Nissan and right up until the day I sold it at 120,000 miles it never burned any oil. As a matter of fact I never had to top it off between changes but maybe that's just because it's Japanese....
Also I read a lot of people our here who claim the dealer won't honor the engine warranty if you change your own oil, any truth to this? If so what do you do , roll the dice or show up at the dealer with your own oil? Personally I'd rather do it myself , just remember to copy the receipts as the store receipt will fade into a blank piece of paper in 6 months.

Last edited:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
No one has actually given the correct answer:

The best oil is the one that's VW certified and most importantly on sale. :)

On the dealer warranty/self oil changes, I've never tested it myself but if you have receipts and notes for your oil changes you are good to go. They can't force you to come to them for maintenance or deny you warranty because of that. I wouldn't put it past a dealer to use that to fight with you on something if they wanted to though. Just take good notes.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
I was at the dealer today getting one of the cars brains unscrambled and the dealer said the oil has to be vw approved and you have to have all receipts or you're screwed. I recommend copy receipts because receipts will fade into a blank piece of paper within a yr.

Morphine

Ready to race!
M1 0W-40

Cheap and great.

^This what I usually run, cheap and great. This time I used Pento, too expensive for what you get...I kinda regret it.

The absolute best would be the high grade synthetics made in Germany, without question imo.

This is a big can of worms....just change your oil regularly with VW approved oil and you are good to go.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
You can also order 0w-40 euro on amazon. (same price as walmart usually), and get a digital receipt to boot :)

Joncoulson

Ready to race!
I run amsoil 5/40 euro blend and it is vw certified I'm also a dealer and am very competitive with other brands of oils I also always run a Mann/Oem filter. Hit me up if anyone wants to purchase some amsoil I feel it's one of if not the best out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk