GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

About roll center

Yumichika

Passed Driver's Ed
I'v lowered my car and now concern about the chassis geometry……and then find it a difficult problem:(

Currently, I have two plan.

The first plan is SuperPro ball joint. However, I have learned that the ball joint for MK7 is still not released yet, and the MK5/6 pieces dont match well with MK7...

The second plan is TT swivels. As we know that old TT swivels match well with MK5/6, but I haven't seen any case of transfer on the MQB platform. Would the new TT swivels match the MK7 and provide a better roll center?

I appreciate your starting this thread. Don't miss reading the TT control arm thread.
You could even have put you question there:

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11798

However, I didn't come across someone reporting about fitting Mk. 3 TT swivels on
a Mk. 7 so far, but at least TT control arms actually fit if you don't run lower offset
wheels. That said, there's also Clubsport S swivels, from which I know they increase
camber, but I doubt they so affect roll center:

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?p=419049#post419049

What's your lowering? I wouldn't be concerned about roll center while lowered less
than an inch. Roll center correction wouldn't even be necessary when you fit bigger
sway bars. They virtually do the same as raising the roll center would do.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
According to an email exchange today with the North American Sales Manager at SuperPro, they are not developing any sort of replacement ball joint for the Mk VII, citing limitations in packaging.

Yumichika

Passed Driver's Ed
What's your lowering? I wouldn't be concerned about roll center while lowered less
than an inch. Roll center correction wouldn't even be necessary when you fit bigger
sway bars. They virtually do the same as raising the roll center would do.

Thanks for the links and I am reading them now:D

I took the B12 prokit, and somhow, it lowers much in my car for about 2 inches lower than stock(actually, it's A3). I plan to try the H&R sport springs to get a little higher ride. If it works, the final height would be 1.2~1.5 inches lower than stock. Soever, the LCAs lift up obviously, an I guess that would effect things more than roll-in-corner.

Yumichika

Passed Driver's Ed
According to an email exchange today with the North American Sales Manager at SuperPro, they are not developing any sort of replacement ball joint for the Mk VII, citing limitations in packaging.

Have heard of that too:(

But it is said that the SP ball joint for PQ35 may also match the MQB cars, the problem is that the ball joint may not have enough clearance with BBK(which I still want on my car).

So now I have a thought, would the ball joint match a BBK with thinner rotors? I find that StopTech provides BBK with a 28mm rotors.

That's right. Basically PQ35 ball joints do fit. ;)

Thinner rotors may help a tiny bit, though from theory rotor bell offset should
matter even more. Obviously BBKs are designed with the max possible offset
since that also makes the caliper move inwards, improving wheel clearance.

I took the B12 prokit, and somhow, it lowers much in my car for about 2 inches lower than stock(actually, it's A3). I plan to try the H&R sport springs to get a little higher ride.
I would have a deeper look into DG (Volkswagen Driver gear) springs. :)

Yumichika

Passed Driver's Ed
That's right. Basically PQ35 ball joints do fit. ;)

Thinner rotors may help a tiny bit, though from theory rotor bell offset should
matter even more. Obviously BBKs are designed with the max possible offset
since that also makes the caliper move inwards, improving wheel clearance.

Yes I forget about the offset...That may indeed be a problem.

I have connect with a dealer selling the MQB TT spindles. He send me some pics:

But their prices are really daunting:(

Thanks. Interesting to see the TT swivels (as well as the subframe)
have a 'VW AG' on them. Is that subframe an A3 or TT one?

AR11

Ready to race!
ok how much? I see the spindles ("swivels") on ebay for 450/side

Yumichika

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks. Interesting to see the TT swivels (as well as the subframe)
have a 'VW AG' on them. Is that subframe an A3 or TT one?

Interesting indeed. I think they are exactlly TT swivels since the part number start with '8s' which means TT 8S. And as we know that TT swivels provide lower ball joint positions (which I desire!) :

The dealer also show me a pic of S3 swivels, and they have obviously higher ball joint position than TT's, just like A3 or Golf.

Besides, I realized that S3 swivels have 50mm axles while TT's have 55mm. For A3 or Golf that's more complicated. 1.4T A3 has swivels with 55mm axle while 1.8T has 50mm. It can be found on Bilstein's online catlog that 1.4t A3, TT share the same B8 shockers(35-229872
) and S3 do the different :

http://web1.carparts-cat.com/defaul...-229872&75=854&500=426&503=1&52=1&30=5&1250=1

Last edited:

Yumichika

Passed Driver's Ed
ok how much? I see the spindles ("swivels") on ebay for 450/side

Quite expansive...about $300 for each side. They should be got from a crashed car.

The dealer also gave a total price of $2500, including swivels, ball joints, LCAs, bearings, subframe, etc(They are shown in a pic above).

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
Sub'd
Mvh TT Spindel do not fit because of 4 bolt bearing/hub fixing. MQB platform has 3 screw point between swivel and bearing.

S3 is 55 mm like any higher-powered MQB model. They're easily identifiable since the
55 mm one is aluminium (silver colored and bulky) while the 50 mm strut swivels are
steel (much skinnier, painted black and tend to rust).
On the 'mid-powered' MQB cars it depends whether the car is NA or Euro spec. While
all European Golfs and A3s with more than 150 HP and even any lower-powered DCC
equipped Golf comes with 55 mm struts + aluminium swivels, the NA spec 170 HP TSI
seems to put up with the 50 mm struts and iron spindles.
Anyways, I cannot imagine Audi sell the S3 with the cheaper 50 mm struts and steel
hubs. Any NA spec GTI comes with aluminium hubs and 55 mm struts.

Yumichika

Passed Driver's Ed
Sub'd
Mvh TT Spindel do not fit because of 4 bolt bearing/hub fixing. MQB platform has 3 screw point between swivel and bearing.

What is Mvh TT? Haven't heard of that:confused:

From the pic above it looks like that MK3 TT's swivels have 3 screw point bearing while the MK2 TT's have 4.