GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Audi TT (8S) Control Arms

jdlavelle1975

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys- has anyone tried these on their MK7 GTI yet? Pros, cons, and what will/will not bolt up? They are supposed to be longer and will aid in some much needed extra chamber up front. I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair, but would love to hear some feedback.

jdlavelle1975

Passed Driver's Ed
Lol, camber, sorry. The arm is a few millimeters longer, which will allow for more camber adjustment. I don't think the ball joint location is more forward (which will add caster), but it would be nice if it was (similar to the SuperPro arms). I'll be combining them with the SuperPro lower adjustable ball joints that I have installed now.

Just to give everyone some feed back, I can usually get a consistent -1.5 to -1.6 degree camber on each side with the adjustable ball joints from SuperPro. Hopefully I'll be able to get closer to -2 to -2.25 with the TT control arms. Obviously this is more of a track and autocross alignment.

jdlavelle1975

Passed Driver's Ed
Correct, that's why you need to change those parts, such as the adjustable ball joints or a longer control arm that puts the wheel even further away from the center point of the chassis (like the SuperPro or Audi tt arms).

jdlavelle1975

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok, so don't waste your time everyone. I just tried this with brand new control arms (Audi TT 8S, MQB platform) and it didn't work. The arms do bolt up to the chassis, but are of a different length (shorter than stock), and the lower ball joint bolts do NOT line up- two line up while the third is almost a centimeter off. Also, the alignment of the outer bolts are tweaked a little, and would further compromise a correct alignment.

Damn. Was hoping this would work as they were a fraction of the cost compared to the SuperPro arms.

LeGti

Ready to race!
It was worth a try though. Thanks for sharing!!

enjoyminutemaid

Ready to race!
Ok, so don't waste your time everyone. I just tried this with brand new control arms (Audi TT 8S, MQB platform) and it didn't work. The arms do bolt up to the chassis, but are of a different length (shorter than stock), and the lower ball joint bolts do NOT line up- two line up while the third is almost a centimeter off. Also, the alignment of the outer bolts are tweaked a little, and would further compromise a correct alignment.

Damn. Was hoping this would work as they were a fraction of the cost compared to the SuperPro arms.

Bringing this back from the dead, but, has anyone tried using the ball joints from the audi tt in conjunction with the lower control arms?

Bringing this back from the dead, but, has anyone tried using the ball joints from the audi tt in conjunction with the lower control arms?
It would make lots of sense to try them with TT ball joints at least.
I wonder why Joe didn't, since ball joints use to be quite cheap esp
compared to those aluminium control arms.

:confused:

enjoyminutemaid

Ready to race!
It would make lots of sense to try them with TT ball joints at least.
I wonder why Joe didn't, since ball joints use to be quite cheap esp
compared to those aluminium control arms.

:confused:

I think he had superpro ball joints that fit the mk5-7 GTIs. Unfortunately, people have also claimed that there isn't enough clearance between the superpro ball joints and the rotors in the performance pack or golf r to make them work.

Somewhere on vortex, someone claimed that mkii TT ball joints fit the OEM mk5/6 GTI lower control arms.

The mkiii TT has unique lower control arms, but same ball joints as mkii TT.

We also know the mkiii TT lca fit the subframe and chassis of the mk7 GTI.

So if all of these statements are accurate, then both the superpro ball joints and mkii TT ball joints fit the mk5/6 GTI lower control arms, but only the mkii TT ball joints fit the mkiii TT lower control arms (because Joe said they didn't work the superpro ball joints).

:eek:

I guess the question becomes, how can the mkii TT ball joints fit both the mk5/6 GTI and mkiii TT lower control arms, but the superpro ball joints only fit the mk5/6 GTI control arms.

Bottom line: considering the demand for camber adjustment on the mk7 GTI and R, and the fact that people are willing to pay ~$800 for superpro lower control arms, it might be worthwhile to see if the mkii TT ball joints will fit the mk7 GTI w/PP and R lower control arms for less than $300.

Not exactly, mate, the TT 8J ball joints didn't fit Mk.V/VI or S3 8P control arms sadly.
If they would, they'd also fit Mk.VII control arms. All TT generations have always been
something special compared to its lesser platform brothers. TT 8J and 8S (current gen)
ball joints are adjustable and have a TT-specific pattern, so you either need to use
them with TT control arms and need to use TT control arms with the TT ball joints (sic).

The true point is, will the TT ball joint's cone fit the GTI/R swivel? I presume it will, as
I neither see no reason why the should use different cones, nor has this point been an
issue with Mk.V/VI and TT 8J (2nd gen) if I remember correctly. You even could try it
first before spending money on TT, since you'd just need one TT ball joint and one Golf
ball joint to compare them (cheap aftermarket Golf one will be good enough).

By "TT" I meant "TT control arms" of course.
Sorry for that, but I'm convinced you got it anyway.

enjoyminutemaid

Ready to race!
Curious to know. I'll be the first victim if no one else bites. I already have the AL subframe. Doing aluminum knuckles(I have a golf) so why not do aluminum control arms too.

Please do! Getting more front alignment adjustability and lighter, stronger pieces would be awesome, especially if they're OEM!