GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

50k miles valve cleaning exploration time

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Car(s)
MQB A3
Here's the before and after pics. Not great, but they're there.

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 1,207
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,197

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Thanks for the photo's. At 65K miles, doesn't look horrible

Shagustus

Passed Driver's Ed
Intake temp sensor route?

I know it's been done with the MK6, but has anyone tried removing the intake temp sensor and used a 1/4 rubber hose and air pump needle to draw Seafoam or other cleaner slowly into the intake stream? I was considering trying it.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I know it's been done with the MK6, but has anyone tried removing the intake temp sensor and used a 1/4 rubber hose and air pump needle to draw Seafoam or other cleaner slowly into the intake stream? I was considering trying it.

The only one i'd even consider is the CRC intake valve cleaner.

Seafoam or pretty much anything you find at your local parts store isn't going to touch this stuff, and even the CRC will only go so far.

I'm just going to bite the bullet and blast it this summer. :(

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Car(s)
MQB A3
Only when you attempt to physically scrape the carbon off the ports do you get a sense of how useless cleaners like that are. It takes a decent amount of effort to dislodge the carbon as is. As for the larger chunks, if any of them came off with solvents, they have no place to go but the combustion chamber. I wouldn't want large chunks of carbon being compressed and shot at my turbocharger.

I may be making something out of nothing, but having done a few carbon cleanings, I know which method I'd always take.

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
How hard is it to take a peek with a boroscope to see if a cleaning is necessary? I'm at 35k miles myself and wondering how the engine is faring with my driving style and the fuel I feed it.

erikweber321

Ready to race!
Time to resurrect this thing. I've got my car at 83k in the shop for a walnut blasting now. The shop in Norwalk CT got me for 400+50 for the job and the gasket kit.give or take.

I asked for before and after photos, so we'll see.

2015 gti non-PP
83,000miles
April 2014 build date

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
How hard is it to take a peek with a boroscope to see if a cleaning is necessary? I'm at 35k miles myself and wondering how the engine is faring with my driving style and the fuel I feed it.

I don't think you'll have a wide enough field of view with a bore scope to see the valves but try it. If you cant see well enough you probably need to use the 90-degree mirror attachment but you need to be certain it won't fall off. That's if it fits through the spark plug hole with it attached.

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Car(s)
MQB A3
I don't think you'll have a wide enough field of view with a bore scope to see the valves but try it. If you cant see well enough you probably need to use the 90-degree mirror attachment but you need to be certain it won't fall off. That's if it fits through the spark plug hole with it attached.

Why would you even try going in through the spark plug opening? Pop off the manifold pressure sensor and cyl 2 and 3 are a straight shot, ive done it with a scope before, very easy to tell.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Why would you even try going in through the spark plug opening? Pop off the manifold pressure sensor and cyl 2 and 3 are a straight shot, ive done it with a scope before, very easy to tell.

I tried that and got nowhere...granted that was with a cheap Amazon scope.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Time to resurrect this thing. I've got my car at 83k in the shop for a walnut blasting now. The shop in Norwalk CT got me for 400+50 for the job and the gasket kit.give or take.

I asked for before and after photos, so we'll see.

2015 gti non-PP
83,000miles
April 2014 build date

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Show us pics for sure. I think it would be worth paying 450 to have someone else that knows what they are doing tackle this job.