GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

500 miles, new engine and turbo

Wongatron

Passed Driver's Ed
So i have my 2019, just got it back after a month and kind of apprehensive about driving it now. I had the car for a week, then got a low oil pressure alert while the car still drove/ran. At stop, notice the car is throwing up...oil. i figured maybe a line came loose since the engine didn't seem to skip a beat. Come to find out, needed the whole engine and turbo replaced. "505 hole in block" fault code "p001100 camshaft bank1 timing over advanced" with metal in the oil, filter and pan. Found oil leaking at the back of the block.

I don't believe teardown of the original is done yet but noticed the work order mentioned camshaft error, and also that they topped it with 5w-40 oil instead of the 0w-20 i see had been initially recommended. Might this have some relation to the camshaft lockup scenario that seems to be floating around?

Wongatron

Passed Driver's Ed
0w-20??? I've never heard of anyone using that. 5w-40 was what I was told to use and continue to use.
I had seen that was a change specific to the 2019 mk7.5 aimed at minor mpg increase

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
So i have my 2019, just got it back after a month and kind of apprehensive about driving it now. I had the car for a week, then got a low oil pressure alert while the car still drove/ran. At stop, notice the car is throwing up...oil. i figured maybe a line came loose since the engine didn't seem to skip a beat. Come to find out, needed the whole engine and turbo replaced. "505 hole in block" fault code "p001100 camshaft bank1 timing over advanced" with metal in the oil, filter and pan. Found oil leaking at the back of the block.

I don't believe teardown of the original is done yet but noticed the work order mentioned camshaft error, and also that they topped it with 5w-40 oil instead of the 0w-20 i see had been initially recommended. Might this have some relation to the camshaft lockup scenario that seems to be floating around?

You should maybe cross-post this in the discussion thread for that stalling issue with the '19s but who knows if it's related. It seems like usually engine failures happen early if they're gonna happen. I know a few people who had failed motors in various brands in the last 25 years and they were all early failures.

Wongatron

Passed Driver's Ed
Happened to find a photo compressor, attached some more

Attachments

• IMG_20190620_212250_resize_89.jpg
    IMG_20190620_212250_resize_89.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,386
  • IMG_20190620_212329_resize_3.jpg
    IMG_20190620_212329_resize_3.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,397
  • IMG_20190620_212411_resize_95.jpg
    IMG_20190620_212411_resize_95.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,384

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
Honesty it happens. It very rarely happens but it does happen. I know what's going on through your mind, have they replaced everything correctly. Did everything get torqued to spec? Chances are 100% yes and you'll never have another issue. They always carry spare engines at the parts distribution center for situations like this. Also call VWoA. Express your concerns. They'll offer you some money or if its really keeping you up at night, even ask for a replacement gti. With only 500 miles they won't have any issue reselling your gti as one of their test drive gtis. Ask for them to pull a carfax. Hopefully they weren't as dumb as to put 'replacement engine' in the carfax. As that may deter potentiality future purchasers, if you ever end up selling privately. No reason that it should. But lots of casual buyers do not know in the ins and outs of what exactly happened so approach with caution. The main point to take from this, is everything will be fine. I know someone that had a new VW Engine replaced and you would have absolutely no idea it was done.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Do you plan on modding this car? Or did you plan on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wongatron

Passed Driver's Ed
Honesty it happens. It very rarely happens but it does happen. I know what's going on through your mind, have they replaced everything correctly. Did everything get torqued to spec? Chances are 100% yes and you'll never have another issue. They always carry spare engines at the parts distribution center for situations like this. Also call VWoA. Express your concerns. They'll offer you some money or if its really keeping you up at night, even ask for a replacement gti. With only 500 miles they won't have any issue reselling your gti as one of their test drive gtis. Ask for them to pull a carfax. Hopefully they weren't as dumb as to put 'replacement engine' in the carfax. As that may deter potentiality future purchasers, if you ever end up selling privately. No reason that it should. But lots of casual buyers do not know in the ins and outs of what exactly happened so approach with caution. The main point to take from this, is everything will be fine. I know someone that had a new VW Engine replaced and you would have absolutely no idea it was done.

Wow, taken from both strung out further to then reassured over the course of the same reply lol; i guess after having been in another car for a month, the prospect of going through the wringer for something different again presents a mixed appeal to me. Not to mention, green isn't a particularly common one to find in the first place.

Wongatron

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you plan on modding this car? Or did you plan on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i had done a unitronic tune on my prior 2015 which was issue free for the 40k miles before we parted ways. I'm unclear at this point on how far i may want to pursue that path again

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
i had done a unitronic tune on my prior 2015 which was issue free for the 40k miles before we parted ways. I'm unclear at this point on how far i may want to pursue that path again

The only reason I ask is, at this point, I'd shy away from it for awhile. With an engine and turbo being replaced so soon after purchase, you have a good case for lemon law if issues were to continue.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
I see that they have 5w40 on the work order. Did they put in a 2018 engine with the old oil pump, or was that 6 qrts of oil used for testing your blown engine, or did they actually put 5w40 in the new (2019?) engine for some reason?

fprintf

I have a friend who lost his Audi Q5 engine spectacularly in about the same way with about the same miles. He insisted on a new car from VWAG and I think you should also. For starters in my state the vehicle will have mismatching VINs which could cause a problem for resale and certainly adds a layer of buyer distrust that could have an impact on your vehicle sale price. Second in some states it will place a "rebuilt" mark on the title, so check your state to be sure - I'd never settle for a replacement engine in a 500 mile car, they owe you a brand new car.

As the other poster said, they can easily sell the GTI to another buyer with the appropriate conditions of sale that you shouldn't have to worry about.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
I have a friend who lost his Audi Q5 engine spectacularly in about the same way with about the same miles. He insisted on a new car from VWAG and I think you should also. For starters in my state the vehicle will have mismatching VINs which could cause a problem for resale and certainly adds a layer of buyer distrust that could have an impact on your vehicle sale price. Second in some states it will place a "rebuilt" mark on the title, so check your state to be sure - I'd never settle for a replacement engine in a 500 mile car, they owe you a brand new car.

As the other poster said, they can easily sell the GTI to another buyer with the appropriate conditions of sale that you shouldn't have to worry about.

Engines don't have VINs anymore. Its not a rebuilt engine, so that wouldn't be considered rebuilt. It really depends on if the dealership put 'Replaced Engine' on the carfax. If they did i'd demand a new car from VW. If they didn't just have them offer you some coin !